Fruit: Yes or No?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I like to think of fruit as "natures candy." as a treat every now and then.

Yes, that is the way it was intended to be.

I eat three, four or even five servings of fruit a day. It isn't just an every now and again treat, it is a part of my regular everyday diet and my track record with weight loss and maintaining that loss shows it works :smile:

Losing and weight and maintaining that weight loss doesn't EQUAL good health.

Have you had your triglycerides checked? That is a huge precursor to heart disease. Sugar (even from fruit) causes triglycerides to raise.

My metabolic endocrinologist has told me and many others to eat fruit as a dessert, which is a treat.

The focus should be on eating vegetables.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've been eating lots of fruit every day... I think it works

down_arrow.gif

Again, losing weight doesn't mean the inside of your body is at its healthiest.
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Look at this website, I try to stay within the low sugar fruits! http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The OP is asking about ditching fruit whilst cutting. isn't this normal in the body building, fitness field?
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ===Losing and weight and maintaining that weight loss doesn't EQUAL good health.
    Have you had your triglycerides checked? That is a huge precursor to heart disease. Sugar (even from fruit) causes triglycerides to raise.

My metabolic endocrinologist has told me and many others to eat fruit as a dessert, which is a treat.

The focus should be on eating vegetables.===

Actually from my experience and from those around me who have lost weight and kept it off it does. The people I know, myself included, would not be able to maintain this kind of weight loss without eating healthy and being healthy. I have a full check up every year with my physical and that includes blood work to check everything and the past few years my doctor says I am one of his healthiest patients :smile: I would never stop eating fruit because it has tons of health benefits. Certainly people can eat fewer servings if they choose but I choose to eat a few servings every day. Fruit is my go to food when I'm craving a slice of cake or a cookie because it is natural and healthy. You just can't go wrong with less processed foods and more whole foods and that includes fruit.
  • runnerchick69
    Options
    I've been eating lots of fruit every day... I think it works

down_arrow.gif

It does and congrats on 35 pounds :smile:
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I took a Strength Training and Health course over the summer. I remember key foods mentioned throughout the books being fruits, veggies, and whole grains. I just skimmed through one of my books from the class and found the below quote in the nutrition section about the guideline changes in '05.

Basic Weight Training for Men and Women, 7th edition, Thomas Fahey:

"In 2005 the US Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services issued the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The guidelines, which were developed by panels composed of leading researchers in nutrition, biochemistry, medicine, and exercise physiology, recommend substantial changes in the American diet. People should eat 100 percent more fruit, 50 percent more vegetables (particularly dark green and orange), 75 percent more low- or nonfat dairy foods, 25 percent less meat, 10 percent fewer enriched-grain products but more whole-grain foods, 10 percent fewer oils, 60 percent fewer high-sugar foods, and 50 percent fewer solid fats."

Now I know the guidelines are catch all and won't suit everyone, but the statement about fruit is what really caught my eye. Also, the part about meat. I'm very sad about the meat. I love a good steak.
  • HealthierAndFitterMe
    HealthierAndFitterMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i eat about 2-3 cups of fruit a day . they say that's the normal taking in . & it's really good clean eating as long as your not adding sugars to it . fruit has lots of fiber in it , which helps with your metabolism . so , yes you should be eating fruit . don't completely cut them out . it's WAY better than eating ice cream , or candy .
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your goals. Personally I think fruit is perfectly fine and I still eat it when I like. Unless your getting close to competition and you need to be really cut and strict with your diet, I don't think fruits should be completely cut out. But everybody's body works differently. As long as your losing bodyfat and are happy with your results thus far then stick with what your doing. :)
  • runnerchick69
    Options
    I took a Strength Training and Health course over the summer. I remember key foods mentioned throughout the books being fruits, veggies, and whole grains. I just skimmed through one of my books from the class and found the below quote in the nutrition section about the guideline changes in '05.

"In 2005 the US Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services issued the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The guidelines, which were developed by panels composed of leading researchers in nutrition, biochemistry, medicine, and exercise physiology, recommend substantial changes in the American diet. People should eat 100 percent more fruit, 50 percent more vegetables (particularly dark green and orange), 75 percent more low- or nonfat dairy foods, 25 percent less meat, 10 percent fewer enriched-grain products but more whole-grain foods, 10 percent fewer oils, 60 percent fewer high-sugar foods, and 50 percent fewer solid fats."

Now I know the guidelines are catch all and won't suit everyone, but the statement about fruit is what really caught my eye. Also, the part about meat. I'm very sad about the meat. I love a good steak.

Oh meat...how I love thee :) We have cut back quite a bit on the amount of meat we eat and we try to have a meatless dinner a couple times a week but on a warm summer night there is nothing like taking a big T-bone off the grill :heart: One thing my old supervisor told me is color. She is 60 plus years old but doesn't look it because she has taken such great care of herself as far as what she eats and regular exercise. So when I look at my plate my first question is does it have enough color and if not then lets throw some spinach and red peppers on there :smile:
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i say no to drugs and yes to fruit!!
  • FlameKick
    FlameKick Posts: 4
    Options
    Fruit is mostly sugar. It is very high in carbs. So, on a low-carb diet (which is very effective), fruit is only allowed in small amounts. In terms of glycemic load, berries are a lot better for you than other fruits such as apples and bananas. I'd say you can eat fruit, but try to limit yourself to berries and only once or twice a day.
  • FlameKick
    FlameKick Posts: 4
    Options

Oh meat...how I love thee :) We have cut back quite a bit on the amount of meat we eat and we try to have a meatless dinner a couple times a week but on a warm summer night there is nothing like taking a big T-bone off the grill :heart: One thing my old supervisor told me is color. She is 60 plus years old but doesn't look it because she has taken such great care of herself as far as what she eats and regular exercise. So when I look at my plate my first question is does it have enough color and if not then lets throw some spinach and red peppers on there :smile:

May I suggest going low-carb? www.reddit.com/keto is a good place to start. Basically, one eats lots of fat such as meat, and only 20 to 40g carbs per day. There are some crazy weight loss stories in that community and people tend to feel a lot healthier. It's also easier to eat less because meat is much more filling than empty carbs. Color is good too :) Maybe when you don't have red meat you could still have some chicken or fish?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

May I suggest going low-carb? www.reddit.com/keto is a good place to start. Basically, one eats lots of fat such as meat, and only 20 to 40g carbs per day. There are some crazy weight loss stories in that community and people tend to feel a lot healthier. It's also easier to eat less because meat is much more filling than empty carbs. Color is good too :) Maybe when you don't have red meat you could still have some chicken or fish?

Don't contemplate going that low on carbs. It's not worth it. stay around 100g at least. Some folks don't do well on the high fat.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Why would someone eat an extremely unbalanced diet after losing such an amazing amount of weight eating a balanced diet? Weird.
  • runnerchick69
    Options
    I actually tried something like that before I finally lost the weight and I did not do well. My carbs were so low that it kind of sent me in to this spiral where my temper was out of control and I just did not feel good. My husband seriously handed me bread and said eat it and eat it NOW :smile: I do better eating eating a little less meat and more fruits and vegetables. I'm sure there are people out there that do well on a low carb diet but it tends to make me cranky LOL
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know, all those super fat people eating apples and pears.

I love fruit, I don't count the fructose sugar in it. Its not like eating a pack of Twinkies.

If you eat enough fruit it can be just as bad as eating a pack of Twinkies.

Something for everyone to consider.....................

When I first went on Atkins and got to Phase 2 where you start adding in higher carb vegetables and fruit I went and got blood work done at my Dr's office..............

I was eating A LOT of FRUIT and VEGETABLES.................my Triglycerides were sky high. The Dr sent me to a dietician and I was limited on the amount of fruit I was allowed to eat (replaced the fruit with lower carb vegetables).

i was limited to eating no more than 3 servings of fruiter PER WEEK.

You all need to understand that it is not merely about the "calories, no fat".....................sugar (AND YES THAT INCLUDES FRUIT) will raise your triglycerides - which leads to inflammation that causes heart disease.

It's not true that eating enough fruit can be as bad as eating a pack of Twinkies. Yes if you ate enough fruit you might get as much sugar as that, but fruit also comes with a lot of fiber, vitamins, and water, which the Twinkies will not give you. I honestly don't know how you can even consider comparing the two.

Some people's bodies may be more sensitive to the amount of sugar in fruit than others, and may therefore have to limit the quantities, but most people will be able to eat as much fruit as they want as part of a healthy diet.

The fiber and water in fruit will fill you up quickly so it's not easy to eat more of it than you should (unlike junk food).

Sorry but sugar = sugar............no matter the source it comes from. And too much sugar is not healthy, even if it is from fruit.

When the Dr tells you that you have high triglycerides and you look baffled.............look back on these comments made by several other people backing up what I am saying.

You missed my point that the fructose in fruit is diluted by water and fiber, which slows the absorption of fructose into the bloodstream. Too much sugar isn't healthy, but if you are eating raw unsweetened fruit, it is very difficult to actually consume too much sugar. Fruit will fill you up much faster per calorie consumed than sugary drinks or snacks will.

The studies showing that fructose raises triglycerides were done using concentrated fructose in the form of sugary drinks. I have never heard of a study showing that the intrinsic sugar from raw fruit alone raises triglycerides. If you have found such a study, please link it. I'd love to see it.

Also, I have eaten plenty of fruit my entire life and during pregnancy they test triglyceride level. Guess what? No high triglyceride level either pregnancy. I know anecdotal evidence proves nothing but it does rebuff your theory that I will be at the doctor, sadly lamenting my high triglyceride level while pondering the wise words of anti-fruiters on this thread ;)