Does myfitnesspal work?

Options

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    There have been several studies done to show that people that log what they eat lose more weight than those they don't. That being said, as everyone states it is a lifestyle change. YOU and only you can make yourself lose weight. So YOU have to be accountable. I have heard some people say it doesnt work but they didnt log that ice cream cone or handful of chips. The choice is yours. If you want it you have to work at it,. Exercise and calorie counting to create the deficit required to lose weight. No starvation though, just slow and steady. You can have anything you want in moderation, but you might want to pre-log it to see if it is worth it. I have tried WW and this works for me. Plus you get to meet all sorts of cool people here and get support. You have nothing to lose but weight.
  • CisMomma
    CisMomma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use MFP as a tool. It is only 1 portion of my "Get Healthy" plan. I joined a Crossfit Box in late March, started eating "clean" (so no processed foods, proper protein amounts, lots of veggies, no grains, healthy fats) in May and have noticed such a HUGE difference in my health. I did want to lose a few pounds but my health was most important to me. Since I've started all of this, I lost 12lbs (haven't been this weight since high school), stopped taking my weekly allergy shots (haven't even taken an allergy pill), been able to eat foods that used to upset my system, energy levels are strong, i'm strong, i feel AMAZING, and I look great!! I would recommend reading Whole30 by the Whole9Life folks and It Starts With Food. I didn't follow the Whole30 in which they suggested but I adopted their concepts and made their meal plans. I still like to have a casual glass of wine after a long day :)

Best of luck to you! One thing you definitely get from MFP is a ton of support! It's a great community to be a part of.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I joined MyFitnessPal in May 2011 and lost 51 lbs in my first year. My loss has slowed recently due to a neck injury that severely limits my exercise. But, yes, MFP works.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First off, this isn't a diet. It's a lifestyle change. If you commit, then you can do it. You just want to want it. No one is going to do this for you, YOU have to do it!

Annnd, I'll toot my own horn and show pix. This is what mfp did for me.

small.jpg

Wow you look amazing!!! Great job!!! :drinker:
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have found MFP to be an awesome tool in order to identify why and when I over eat. I log everything the good, the bad and the really ugly. I have learned to make better choices and as a result I am closing in on 50lb loss mark, the majority of it done with the help of MFP.

It is a tool it is not a solution, you have to be honest with yourself with respect to logging, dedicated enough to want to work out and put the effort in everyday. It does work and best of all when all the other things that I have tried cost me a fortune this is free.

You will meet some amazing people and make some good friends. MFP works if you work with it!
  • AJTwiddy
    AJTwiddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started MFP Round May 29th 2012 at 170 I like fried food I love soda I eat too much butter I only eat like 5 kids of veggies and 2 kinds of fruit I AM working on this a little at a time and have had some progress but I don't plan on DIETING ya know the real kind the ones that make U miserable and hungry!!! I now use olive oil instead of corn/veggie oil I don't buy margarine I get the smart balance or I can't believe it's not butter there are plenty of other small changes I made like wheat not white just simple choices I LOVE FOOD WAY TOO MUCH!! With all that said it is now 7/13/2012 I work out 2x a wk for maybe 2 hrs I go for as many walks as I can still only get in an average of one a week but I walk 3 miles it only takes 35/40 min at a pretty slow pace Today I weigh 153 and if it wasn't for MFP I wouldn't have done it cause I always thought U gotta starve and work ur *kitten* off to look a certain way!!! well......... I learned u DONT. Here I am and If ur dedicated to calculating every day (Can be annoying) U will lose weight IT WILL WRK!!!!!!! Feel free to Add me if ud like!!!
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It works if you work it. Every day.

Compare my MFP start date with my weight loss tracker. Slightly more than 60 lbs lost in 6 months. I have found it very helpful.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    By itself, MFP does not "work."

You are the one that has to do the work and MFP can assist to make it as painful or painless as you'd like.

As others have said...it is a commitment to a lifestyle not a "diet." And it is more than that. It is a commitment to your life.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

After a while you get to know your portion sizes and approx calories in a meal. I went on vacation last week and lost .1% of body fat and didn't track a thing. I also had some treats that I don't normally have when not on vacation. I just ate like I wanted but was responsible with what I had.

I agree with this 100%, it's all so second nature.. But I will log for the rest of my life if it means I don't have to be fat ever again!
  • pamwil88
    pamwil88 Posts: 24
    Options
    Yes. I am more conscious about what I eat now and I make sure I exercise at least five days a week.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lifer here! I never want to gain weight again! I am at 104# so it works for me!!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Lifer here! I never want to gain weight again! I am at 104# so it works for me!!

Cool Dane!

Oh, and MFP will totally work for you as long as YOU are totally working for you--you'll get exactly as much out of it as you put in. Good luck, you can do it!!! One step at a time, one bite at a time, one workout at a time, one lesson at a time.
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's working for me so far (: Lost 3 lbs. but MEGA inches!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Every diet works if you stick to it.
  • coltonsmommy2010
    Options
    i track everything i eat and do and i make sure not to eat back my calories burned. since just tracking my food and calories ive lost two lbs (well four but i aint logged it yet cause its not my weigh in time) and i find that it is working for me. the thing is is to stick to it and dont lie, track everything even if u go over. and if u fall off to do it again.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I started eating right...then I incorporated exercise. I attribute my 108lb loss to God, myself and MFP.
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump to reply later and read through.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in 6 months..started on mfp at 260 lbs. think of MFP as a bike..it is a mode of transport, but goes nowhere if you dont pedal.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have gained and lost weight throughout my adult life. The time that I was really successful (lost 60 pounds) was when I wrote down everything I consumed. I was faithful about this and lost the weight at a consistent rate. It took me about 10 months. That was 5 years ago. I had some health problems (neck surgery) and was depressed because of the pain I was in. Eating was my solace. I gained over half of it back. I got to a point where I had to stop my bad habits and get back on the wagon of a better way of eating. I am older now and find the weight isn't coming off as fast as I want it to, but slow and steady is how I now have to look at it.
    This is my story but I lost of 100 lbs and kept it off for 6 years before I stopped logging and gained ALL of the weight back!

Logging everything keeps me from eating too much. MFP is cool because the software makes logging easier. I have access to it on my computer, iPad and even my iPhone.

Like "chauncyrenay" said:
    Every diet works if you stick to it.

Consistency is critical for any diet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!