What sacrifices have you given up to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• crayonfish
    Options
    I've started working out regularly. That's my own personal definition of torture. I can give up any food, any drink, you name it, but if there's one thing I hate with every cell of my being, it's exercise. I'd be perfectly happy if I could just sit on my butt and read or write all day long.

I second this. I do not enjoy exercise particularly, but now I do it 5 days a week. Starting it is pure torture.

As for other things. I gave up sweets 99.9 percent of the time. On christmas and my birthday I indulge, but for the most part... no sweets. Ever. When it comes to sweets I simply can't have just one. It's like a chain reaction, a smidgen of sugar touches and my tongue and suddenly... OM NOM NOM NOM where the **** did all the cookies go? Oh yeah, I ate them. All of them. So no sweets for me.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A slightly different take on a response.. I gave up sacrificing my health and appearance, for ease...
  • MsJenny813
    MsJenny813 Posts: 18
    Options
    Diet coke & fast food (mainly McDs)!
  • antsw123
    antsw123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Beer is down to once a week and pizza is out as even home made ones are horrendous in the calorie department.
  • phenixred
    phenixred Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    2 things. I dont put cream and sugar in my coffee. I drink it black(cut out 150 cal a day) and

Tim Hortons Iced Cappuccino. I still have one once in a while. but everytime i add it into my Food Diary, i kick myself. even if I have it made with chocolate milk. but it tastes SOOO GOOD!!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I thought about sacrificing and then decided that wasn't really going to work for me. Not really a fan of depriving myself of things that I want or need.

I do compromise though!

I compromise with my time - less time in the evenings with the other half so that I can get to bed early to get up for the gym so that I can continue to enjoy to eat and drink the things I like to - just in moderation.

I do not, however, under any circumstances compromise on chocolate!!!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    My thing was Dove Dark Chocolate, and it still is. But now instead of eating the whole thing, I break it up and have it throughout the week a few pieces here and there everyday so I reward myself for the day:)
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    margaritas! i sure do miss them.
  • SailAweigh
    SailAweigh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've given up anything in particular. I've always found my problem lay in portion control. Instead of 4 pieces of pizza, I have two. I buy chocolate bars that can be broken into very small pieces (Green and Black's is great for that) and have 3 small pieces instead of 12 (which they consider a serving!). If I go out to eat, I cut everything in half and box the other for the next day. I can usually keep within my calorie goal by just adjusting the amount I eat. I eat bread, this morning my breakfast was strawberry rhubarb cobbler (278 calories). It's all in the portion size.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Everything :( even bread. Hell even a nice meat pie, a nice salad roll, a nice choc muffin that store 6 sells. Even my beloved pasta ...... yep all sacrificed. My life sucks. I sometimes wish I could eat whatever I wanted.... but am so scared of becoming fat overnight that it stops me from eating normal at all.
  • tmshank18
    tmshank18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would say junk food. I still have a cookie or something here and there but its planned within my calorie intake. I have realized how much junk food I actually ate when I started keeping track of everything I eat.
  • vwkauffman
    vwkauffman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's the portion size for me. I have always eaten pretty "good" food, just WAY too much of them. I also allow myself a treat on Fridays, usually ice cream, and I let my Friday dinner be a little higher in the calorie count. That way, I can eat what I've been craving throughout the week. I will have been looking forward to it, and I'm good to go again on Saturday morning!
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cake. Giving up cake is a big deal for me.

Also putting effort into making fresh, healthy meals in the evening when I'm really tired from work, whereas in the past I would have just stuck a ready-meal in the microwave.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Liquor and men :P
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Binge eating and about 2 hours of sleep in the morning lol

I haven't given up any food. Everything in moderation. I have reduced a whole lot, soda, fast food, and now I make the snacks worth it.

Good luck in your journey!
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Soda. I gave it up in January and I miss it every day. I've also cut way back on pizza and burgers and I pretty much think about them every day, too.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    None.

Living a healthy lifestyle is not about "giving things up", its about learning how to eat them in moderation. Most people who have an "all or nothing" approach are on a diet, they are not creating balance.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a cheeseburger with a bun in probably 2-3 months...I haven't had more than A slice of pizza in the same amount of time. I check the carb counts of ALL treats before consuming them.

I have increased my veggie intake :)
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    None. I just watch my portions. But I eat what I want just like before. Just don't gorge myself. That is the whole purpose of this site. To monitor how much you eat. Unless you were a really unhealthy eater then continue with your usual fare...just watch the portions.
  • comicguy12901
    Options
    My big item that I have given up was Pepsi, I use to have 2-3/day and not a single one for the last two weeks. I look forward to the day that I will be able to have one once in a while but I don't see that anytime soon.