What sacrifices have you given up to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• samandlucysmum
    Options
    The freedom to eat whatever I want, whenever I want without guilt or worry of consequence.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    WINE and Potatoes. I used to drink 2-3 large glasses of wine every night. Now, just two 5oz glasses per week.
    Love potatoes and bread -- but have learned substantial moderation on the carbs.
  • Lu_88
    Lu_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bread and crisps. I miss them so much :( As for alcohol i try to drink less beer but im not giving up my friday nights on the town.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I had to put laziness on the altar of sacrifice.

Breton cakes, used to stuff good amounts in the morning, but also kebabs
  • peacheznlace
    peacheznlace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I haven't sacrificed anything, but rather now continue to eat what I want in moderation (and so long as it fits into my macros). Some days are harder than others because I love food. Buffets are tough to get through so I usually reserve that time as my cheat meal. Bread, pasta, rice, etc. are also my downfall but I've learned that I don't have to deprive myself of it--just have a little bit and it'll go a long way and keep my sanity in check.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nothing - I just make smart choices. I plan my meals ahead of time, and then if I do have a craving I wait a couple hours or even a couple of days. If it's still there, I feed it. Telling myself that I can have it later helps me resist impulse eating, and a lot of the time when later comes, I just don't need it anymore.

I couldn't imagine "the rest of my life" without food indulgences.
  • foreveryounique
    foreveryounique Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gave up cake, alcohol(even though I get free alcohol from work), soda, and fast food. I didn't feel like I HAD to give any of that up, but why fill myself with empty calories when I can load up on things with more nutritional value...? It isn't rocket science
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I'd agree with the people that said it should be less about "sacrifice" and more about moderation. However, most of them are also probably ignoring at least one seismic shift that they had to make to stay in compliance on calories and get 500 calories per day under. For me, it's been eliminating soda from my diet. I still have an occasional drink (one a week) but I used to drink 2-3 per day. Nothing emptier than 450 calories that are primarily sugar.

I also have avoided cookies for the most part. Never ate many, but I used to throw down 7-8 of the chewy chocolate cookies that we would buy every couple weeks. Looking now, 8 cookies is 600 calories in just a few bites. Ouch! I also used to enjoy a couple peanut butter wafers (280 calories of chocolatey peanut butter goodness). For my day to day eating, I don't think I was doing too bad (even with the pop) but the bad habits would mean that from October to March, I would typically gain 5-6 lbs which means I was running 100 to 150 calories per day over what I should have been eating. People don't realize that simply eliminating one pop per day can often stabilize your weight and making a few other choices like that can start the swing the other way.

Long story shorter, it's mostly portion control and exercise other than eliminating one or two things.
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i had alot of fizzy drinks, takeaway and going out to eat.. i used to have atleast few glasses of coke/pepsi or whatever was home at night! I now only drink it every now and again.. takeaways have been majorly cut down and also eating out..

whenever i crave something really bad.. i have it and then exercise or make up with other meals! And odd days where i go over and cant keep on track, i forgive myself.. because that's life! As long as your good most of time.. its ok to be bad on odd occasions - as long as it doesnt become a habit again!

I dont miss anything as bad as being slim! So anything to get there.. and I am not punishing myself by cutting down on them, im doing myself a favour by being healthy, saving money and being happy everytime i get closer to my target goal!

it'll be worth it! =)
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Food wise, I eat pretty much what I want, just less of the bad stuff less often. I measure carefully and try to prepare most of my own food.

The big thing I've given up is time. I realized a while back that I eat better on day I exercise. So I upped my exercise from 3 days a week to 5 days. I try to have my "off" days be active recovery days where I do something (like working in the yard) even if it's not a formal work out.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Starchy and grainy foods.
    Alcohol except for special occasions (My definition is a little loose on this...:wink: )
    Laziness.
  • Kelli0416
    Kelli0416 Posts: 8
    Options
    Mountain Dew! It has so many calories and carbs! I have also cut down on Diet Pepsi but not completely given it up. I only drink it 1 to 2 times a week now. It actually hasnt been that hard. :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Soda and wine. The soda I have no interest in anymore. The wine, I miss. I'll start having it again after my half marathon in November, but until then I'm trying to be pretty strict.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    One other thing I continuously find myself giving up is money for little things. You know, shampoo, conditioner, a book, a game.

It costs me far more to eat healthier than it did to guzzle soda and eat processed junk all day. Far more.
  • naughtyfushsia_wechnaged
    Options
    pizza for me lol
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've given up laying on the couch ALL DAY LONG and watching TV. Vegging as I called it. I still miss it but don't think I could do it if I tried. I'd last about an hour then have to get up and move around!
  • xtanea
    xtanea Posts: 17
    Options
    I love chips and other junk food, so I'm eating those less now! But, eating them in moderation feels so much better than eating them all the time. So, I guess it's not a sacrifice. :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I haven't completely given anything up, but I have cut down on some things. I eat less cheese, bread and chocolate than I used to, although they all still feature regularly. I'm just more conscious of appropriate portion size now, and try to have a better balance of macronutrients.
  • Fathima0712
    Fathima0712 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    potato!! i used to love my fries and mashed potatoes and spanish omlettes and potato salads... put anything with potato..and i used to eat it..and i am glad to say i havent had ANY potato in over 1 month minimum!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I used to eat lots of Mexican food (chips and salsa were my weakness), and drink more than my share of alcohol. I still eat Mexican from time to time, but I have only had one 'real' margarita since I changed my lifestyle back in November. Occasionally, I will have a 'skinny' margarita, made from a shot or two of tequila and a little lemon/lime diet soda, but I don't like to drink soda very often, so I choose to abstain most of the time. I would rather have an occasional glass of wine or maybe a beer.

I really don't consider it much of a sacrifice, though, because I feel so much better now that I'm eating healthy and exercising.