What is you accent?

Options

Replies

• monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i am from guam and i can speak the native language but my mother didn't speak to us in chamorro (the language of guam) because she was afraid we would have an accent. so, i don't think i have an accent. however, i have been told by people (not from guam) that i do. to me, i sound like a regular american.

in other news, i can do any accent. it's kind of my talent.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have an accent, but after 8 years in Arizona and 10 years in Utah, people still know I'm from back east. Some can even peg me as being from north-eastern Pennsylvania. Sometimes, when I'm excited/angry/hyper about something and talking fast, I'm mistaken for having a New York or New Jersey accent.

Like most women, I'm a sucker for almost any accent. But the voice is key. :wink:
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I have a regular New Yawk accent. Fugeddaboudit!
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Jamaican but not the streotypical Jamaican accent.

Ps I don't know why a lot of Americans think they don't have an accent. If you open your mouth and speak you have an accent.
    Why do you think every other country in the world has an accent and you don't?? Crazy!

You have an American accent! I sound weird to you and you sound weird to me.

I think it's because if another American heard me speak, they would have no idea where I'm from. They would know I'm probably not from the South, Boston or northern Minnesota but that's about it. To foreigners, all Americans have an American accent despite the vast differences in the types of speech in the US so I'll give you that. To you, we all have an accent but to each other it's not so obvious.

As tiny as Jamaica is believe it or not we have about 13 different accents and some Jamaicans might not be able to pinpoint where mine is from. Doesnt mean I am going to say I dont have an accent. So there is a vast diffence in how we speak in Jamaica as well. When some people here me they say "I don't hear your accent" or "You don't sound Jamaican" I'm guessing because they expect me to sound like a "Rasta Man" or like the fake Jamaicans played by foreigners in movies saying "Yeah Mon" lol
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a British accent., I am from the south west so I try very hard to fight against my "farmer" accent and for the most part I speak with a fairly non descript accept. However when I visitor my parents I sound like I am chewing straw and about to go milk the cows *rolls eyes*
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Obviously my username says it all.

I have a Spanish accent.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    <----accent of a lover!! ooh la la
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I sound like a hick.. :p
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Idk..but I'm curious as to what accent was used in the title of this thread? (what is you accent?)
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I love love love accents, I have a pretty good ear for them too! I just had the pleasure of sitting in on a week long conference with men from The UK, New Zealand, Australia, and the States. I was in heaven, my boss didnt say the same cause he had a heck of a time trying to understand lol

Im french Canadian, though Ive been told I don't have a discernable accent. I suppose I speak with an english Canadian accent.
  • Jamers1213
    Jamers1213 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm from Tennessee, but it really only comes out with certain words. I lived in Milwaukee for a few years, picked up some of that too, so basically my accent is confused haha...

But a man with a nice southern accent...yeah, that's real nice.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    a good ol' boy Texas drawl
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    Even though i'm Jamaican I have a hard time understanding some of my fellow West Indians..I understand most Africans who speaks English, and I understand most Americans but have a hard time understanding most African-Americans (i've come across).

I love Brittish, Irish and Austrialian accents.

Asian accents are funny to me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I had a drama teacher in college who could listen to each student speak and then tell us what state, even what region of a state, we were from. Until he got to me. :smile: He said I had no detectible regional accent. I've lived in California my whole life - in the bay area, the sierras, and Fresno.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    What is an American "non-accent"?

American Broadcast English, like that heard by announcers on television. I read once it sounds like the English spoken in one of the midwestern states, but I forget which one. (I'm not from the midwest, by the way, and no one's paying me to say this). :flowerforyou:
  • Emar11
    Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Im from Minnesota. I never thought I had a bad accent, until I dated someone from Iowa, and he teased me about the way i said 'boat' or basically anything with an 'o' in it. I can't hear it, but I guess its pretty bad.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    What is an American "non-accent"?

American Broadcast English, like that heard by announcers on television. I read once it sounds like the English spoken in one of the midwestern states, but I forget which one. (I'm not from the midwest, by the way, and no one's paying me to say this). :flowerforyou:

Thanks got it! To me it's Just American lol but I understand it has no emphasis on a specific region...
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Torontonian?

When I moved across the province, I was told by the locals that I talk too fast/sound like a valley girl/use American pronunciations (half my family is from the US).
    Despite the fact that I'm Canadian, I don't think I've ever said the word "eh" unless I'm mocking someone.
  • wardf
    wardf Posts: 33
    Options
    From Texas originally, so southern drawl, but it has faded in my opinion due to the years overseas and away from Texas while in the Army.
  • shannyfro
    shannyfro Posts: 641
    Options
    definately southern!! My parents pick on me because they're from New Jersey. We sound nothing alike haha I love love love Australian accents and British ones! :)