What is you accent?

Options

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Midwestern with a little southern twang on some words. Like y'all. I say that a lot.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am the proud owner of a sweet Texas drawl y'all :D Welcome to it!
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    What is an American "non-accent"?
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of southern twang on certain words and the speed of a southerner. Whenever I visit my family in Virgina they constantly ask me to slow down because they can't understand a single word I am saying!

But overall I am a southern girl :tongue:
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Jamaican but not the streotypical Jamaican accent.

Ps I don't know why a lot of Americans think they don't have an accent. If you open your mouth and speak you have an accent.
    Why do you think every other country in the world has an accent and you don't?? Crazy!

You have an American accent! I sound weird to you and you sound weird to me.

I think it's because if another American heard me speak, they would have no idea where I'm from. They would know I'm probably not from the South, Boston or northern Minnesota but that's about it. To foreigners, all Americans have an American accent despite the vast differences in the types of speech in the US so I'll give you that. To you, we all have an accent but to each other it's not so obvious.
  • ByeByeBigGurl
    Options
    East coast Canadian!

I love Australian accents! :)
  • treetpflyer
    treetpflyer Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Southern GA boy!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Upper Michigan....Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • m11ekd
    m11ekd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    English: north london
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I am from Southwest Virginia and yes I have a southern accent. Kinda a southern drawl. I can't help the way that I talk but everyone loves it. Personally I love to hear an Irishman talk I think they have a very sexy voice.
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am from Virginia and have a southern accent. Certain words the accent is more southern that normal. My husband has told me there are times that I talk too fast.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Broad Highlander Scottish.... and proud of it.........

Och Aye the Nooooo
  • abbylaine104
    abbylaine104 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm from East Texas. I know I've got a little twang (esp when I'm really excited about something!!) But I've noticed my words changing here lately. I've become more aware of how I pronounce words.

I LOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEE a british accent <3 (Wassup, Matthew Goode! and McFly!!) and Irish. and Scotish (hello, Gerard Butler!!)
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    British. My town's accent has a certain twang to it though, you can tell one of us when you hear us. :-)
  • AmyfromBama
    AmyfromBama Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Also from Alabama!!!! I have the Southern Accent! :)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    English, was Geordie (Durham) but it has mellowed a lot, get a lot more accented when drunk or angry! Think I just sound a bit Northern
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    How would one describe a Californian accent? It sounds so plain. Like the base accent for everyone. I do notice that when I speak I say "like" and "dude" alot.

I'm really good at mimicing accents, I can listen to someone talk for 10 minutes and copy them pretty closely. I do it accedentally on the phone at work. Especially with Australian accents. I think those are my favorites. Then its British accents. Then Cajun. My cousin lives in "Nawlins" (New Orleans) and she can do a Cajun accent pretty good. She tries to copy my California accent and I her Cajun, but its always off for us.
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    SoCal with a dash of Austinite. I've only been out here a little over 3 years, but when I get angry or talk over the phone, I get a bit of a drawl.

An older gent at the store told me that "I talk like a Yankee, but sound like a Rebel."
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Standard American. And very loud, slow, and enunciated. That's from living with my hearing impaired parents and not wanting to repeat everything. Now the same thing is happening to my kids due to my hearing impairment. My family adds to the 'loud American' stereotype.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I am a Georgia peach but all my friends, and growing up I was around nothing but Spanish people from up north( New York, New Jersey, Chicago etc)

So I have a New York Accent...lol.. Yeah people never believe me when I say I am born and raised in Georgia:)