Replies

• big_cowboy74
    big_cowboy74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Deep southern Texas drawl.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Virginia- so definitely Southern Belle ~ my husband is British so its an interesting marriage sometimes~

my friends come over and just want to hear him talk all of the time- and his family comes over and says "say that again" - GRRR

but its fun :smile:
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Let's see...I grew up in Maryland and now live five minutes away in bordering Delaware...I don't think I have an accent but I'm sure others would say I sound like a Philadelphian (PA)...hard to describe unless you've been to Philadelphia...but it's not a Jersey sound either.

I definitely do NOT have that "Baltimore" accent. :noway:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm from Rhode Island, we are notorious for not pronouncing our "r"s. I'm not as bad as most because I have always been a grammar freak. It's very similar to the Boston accent, but there are subtle differences.
    "Paak the caaah in Havad yahd and put new tiaas on it!" lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Originally from Iowa, USA, and now living in Newfoundland, Canada. I don't have an accent, not even a Midwestern one (like saying ruff instead of roof). If I hear myself going Newfie, I correct it. I sound like what Hollywood wants you to sound like.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    pittsburgh.. and it's spelled youns, not yinz....
  • dewhomeschooling
    dewhomeschooling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Southern, with a hint of New Orleans...
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    From OH, I don't think I have one.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Texas (San Antonio) and don't really have any accent. Currently live in a rural Mississippi community. Just yesterday I got asked if I was from "up north". Nope, Mississippi is the northern-most place I have lived in the states. :)
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hmm. well i have a general american accent (this accent where you don't really hear an accent) with a VERY slight southern edge. i grew up in the houtson suburbs, so while i was in texas i never encountered any real southern accents.
  • luckykarma83
    luckykarma83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a Chicago accent! I live in Tennessee currently and everyone knows I have a Chicago accent...they ask if I am from Chicago, so it must be pretty noticeable. I love British and Japanese accents...oh and French!
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I sound like an elderly American woman/Sylvia Plath.

A friend writes, "You have a similar voice to an elderly American woman who joined us on a tour of Lancaster castle. "One would think", she said as she began a sentence. I don't know who she was trying to kid."

And another acquaintance, ""Frankly, your reading voice is like Sylvia Plath's--especially apparent in your pronunciation of word 'God'."

I have lived in Kentucky all my life, though. When I was very small, the people in the little town we lived in always said I sounded as if I were from Boston (not true, though). And people have said, "You aren't from around here, are you?" or "Where the hell did you come from?"

Alas, I come from right here.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have the non regional dictation of an American Midwesterner.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Alabama, born and raised. My husband says I have a VERY noticeable southern twang. I say 'ya'll' a lot and people wear 'britches' instead of pants. People in L.A. (Lower Alabama) have more of a drawl than I do though. I met a guy one time that sounded like Colonel Sanders and he was from down there.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Well, my daughter says I sound like Reba McIntyre, especailly from her sitcom "Reba". When I say 'butt-head" and a few other things, she had said on that program. I do have somewhat of a Southern accent. Just to let you know - It is drier than a popcorn fart, here, and just about as hot!
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a Bajan (barbadian) accent. If you've heard of Cover Drive or Rihanna...thats how i talk :). And the title in Bajan would read 'wa is u accent?' lol or 'part u from?'
    I have been told I sound different though, mix of other Caribbean countries, Dominica mostly (mother's origin).
    My uncle from America, says it sounds like we are singing a song..with the high and lows lol

But I LOVE LOVE LOVE an irish accent, if it wasn't so far I would move there! lol

My coworkers friend is from Barbados and I love her accent when she calls. It is so melodic to listen to!
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Jamaican but not the streotypical Jamaican accent.

Ps I don't know why a lot of Americans think they don't have an accent. If you open your mouth and speak you have an accent.
    Why do you think every other country in the world has an accent and you don't?? Crazy!

You have an American accent! I sound weird to you and you sound weird to me.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    From Jersey but for the most part you can't tell. Unless I'm pissed then I sound like a Soprano :ohwell:
  • Bobbi_N
    Bobbi_N Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Houston, so my accent is primarily a Texas drawl. I've lived in east Tennessee for over 20 years now and I swear native Tennesseans speak a whole language all their own.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I normally have the American non-accent (MA) but I work in Boston and unfortunately slowly picking up the accent (no R's). I have even been caught asking my husband whether he "PAHKED the CAH"?

My husband's Turkish and I love his accent!