Tanning ?

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

And, I know there are arguments that tanning doesn't keep you from burning, but in my own personal experience, it absolutely does!

where did you hear tanning doesnt help prevent burning? isnt that the reason we tan? i have the same experience as you. if i have no tan and am in the sun i will get burned. the tanner i get the lesser i get burned.

maybe they mean it doesnt prevent exposure to UV or decrease your chance of skin cancer. that i can believe.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just have to say to all of you saying tanning causes cancer, do any of you smoke? Talk about buying cancer!

Now, onto tanning. I am super pale, and we go on vacation to the Caribbean at least once a year. I always tan for a month before we go because otherwise I would roast! I start going for 3 minutes every other day for a week, then 4, then 5. By the end of the month, I am normally up to 8 or 10 minutes. I have a little bit of color to add some protection from the sun. I am not saying tanning is really a good thing, but it is far better than burning!

And, I know there are arguments that tanning doesn't keep you from burning, but in my own personal experience, it absolutely does! I tanned before we went to Jamaica, and my shoulders and my cheeks got a little pink, but not bright red. I went to a water park with my neice for a day with 60 SPF on without tanning, and my face, my scalp, my shoulders and my chest burned to a crisp!

So, I don't just tan for fun, but I think it's a good idea if you're going away to some place super sunny.

Agreed!
    I got down south almost every year, and if you dont have a lil tan, you will burn, even with sunblock. Unless you stay all day long under the shade....

Ah! For the smoking part... ahahahah nice.... at least the sun has benefits!
  • nikket3000
    nikket3000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tan because I like that it helps with vitamin D levels and SAD in the winter. It enhances my mood. It also helps improve my psoriasis. I get itchy patches on my hands and back when I go too long without some sun that no lotion has ever helped rid.

I do go to a tanning salon, but I do not go frequently. I tan for 8 mins maybe once a week or every other week.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    cancer
    Moderate use of a good tanning bed, especially if you don't go out in the sun is great for you, and your mood! But hey, if you can get in the sun, do it that way.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/11/11/can-a-tanning-bed-be-healthy.aspx
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Screw Cancer - you'll look OLD and AGE before your time! Steer Clear my Dear!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Skin cancer runs in my family.
    Not worth the risk, IMHO.

I should add that it is very difficult for me to tan, so it takes a lot of exposure to get any color, which is why it's a big risk to me. :flowerforyou:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    cancer
    Moderate use of a good tanning bed, especially if you don't go out in the sun is great for you, and your mood! But hey, if you can get in the sun, do it that way.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/11/11/can-a-tanning-bed-be-healthy.aspx

i am in the pro tanning camp but there is no way any tanning bed is better for you than the sun. isnt the point of a tanning bed to give you several hours worth of sun in a short time? your body has the ability to repair some sun damage but overloading with a high dose of UV seems like it wouldnt be a good idea.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't. I just heard a friend has stage 4 melanoma. Chances of survival are slim.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just have to say to all of you saying tanning causes cancer, do any of you smoke? Talk about buying cancer!

Now, onto tanning. I am super pale, and we go on vacation to the Caribbean at least once a year. I always tan for a month before we go because otherwise I would roast! I start going for 3 minutes every other day for a week, then 4, then 5. By the end of the month, I am normally up to 8 or 10 minutes. I have a little bit of color to add some protection from the sun. I am not saying tanning is really a good thing, but it is far better than burning!

And, I know there are arguments that tanning doesn't keep you from burning, but in my own personal experience, it absolutely does! I tanned before we went to Jamaica, and my shoulders and my cheeks got a little pink, but not bright red. I went to a water park with my neice for a day with 60 SPF on without tanning, and my face, my scalp, my shoulders and my chest burned to a crisp!

So, I don't just tan for fun, but I think it's a good idea if you're going away to some place super sunny.

Agreed!
    I got down south almost every year, and if you dont have a lil tan, you will burn, even with sunblock. Unless you stay all day long under the shade....

Ah! For the smoking part... ahahahah nice.... at least the sun has benefits!

I think you were the same that comment on my picture. Not sure how "uzi and teddy bear" equates with "having family members watching you die from a horrid disease". And I call BS on the "you have to be tan to not burn in the south". I lived in both of the Carolinas (four years in all) and the only time I burned was when we were at a tarmac for a day for an air show. And I spent plenty of time outside- always with sunscreen and usually a long sleeved shirt, even when it was over 100F.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm not big into tanning, just to give me a little color in the summer so I'm not so translucent.

But I will be switching to Mystic HD Spray Tans after this summer because I don't want leather-like skin when I'm in my 30's.

If I were you, I'd do sprays.

I was a tanorexic for 15 yrs and I'm 39 and my skin is nowhere near leather lol.
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    I hope you don't. I just heard a friend has stage 4 melanoma. Chances of survival are slim.

Thank you for reminding why I Mystic Tan now. I just have to find a sunscreen to use on my face when I'm driving the bus that won't make me break out now
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Getting away from the arguments of cancer since some people do not like it...remember, those rays are AGING you. Saggy, wrinkly skin will result more than if you did not tan.
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hate tans (am I the only one?) I try to stay as pale as possible, which isn't really hard. I have a peaches and cream complexion with dark hair, I want to keep my face as clear as possible haha, even if it means always wearing floppy hats, or atleast tons of sunscreen
  • RobynMWilson
    Options

And, I know there are arguments that tanning doesn't keep you from burning, but in my own personal experience, it absolutely does!

where did you hear tanning doesnt help prevent burning? isnt that the reason we tan? i have the same experience as you. if i have no tan and am in the sun i will get burned. the tanner i get the lesser i get burned.

maybe they mean it doesnt prevent exposure to UV or decrease your chance of skin cancer. that i can believe.

Having a base tan from tanning beds enabled me to lay out in Florida with just tanning oil and there's NO WAY I coulda been able to do that without getting a tanning bed base first. My dad has basal cell carcinoma (he's never laid in tanning beds lol) and I finally gave up my tanning bed addiction this year. It's been HARD...I'm truly a tanorexic but I'm doing it...had to use SPF at the beach for the first time in 20yrs the other day and I do Mystic now (yes with nose plugs and winkies). I may already have skin cancer from all my blistering sunburns as a child and then my years and years in tanning beds but I can't even enjoy laying in a tanning bed with Dad's basal cell carcinoma staring me right in the face everyday. Time to grow up for me and be responsible!
  • kimber89
    kimber89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Waiting for biopsy results on a mole is not fun.
  • LyndsieLovejoyyy
    Options
    dont do it! I've been tanning for 5 years now and as much as i want to stop because my grandpa had skin cancer and i'm terrified of it, i cant! i HATE looking at myself when i'm pale, i feel so ugly and gross. its addicting, and if i could go back in time and never start tanning i would
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Long exposure to tanning beds and tanning in the sun is bad.

I avoid tanning at all costs.
  • xqueenbee24x
    xqueenbee24x Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    To the OP... I have worked in a tanning salon for six years and have met a variety of different men and women who tan for a number of different reasons.

Using a tanning bed to get a slight base tan is actually a good idea for someone like yourself with very fair skin.
    While tanning IN GENERAL (regardless of in a salon or outside) is bad for you, going to a salon to get that light base will actually help prevent you from burning if you have days where you are outside for extended periods of time.

I refuse to sit here and tell you that its "good" or "bad" - I am in no position to do that, nor am I a doctor that knows your medical history. However, if other members of your family have had skin cancer then I would say try lotions or spray tanning before jumping in a tanning bed.

Also do research about the tanning salons in your area. What type of equipment they have, the strength of the bulbs, etc.
    My suggestion to you is that if you make the choice to use a tanning salon go in four four minutes the first few times and then go for five. I would not exceed six minutes. The goal is to get a nice base tan to prevent burning NOT to burn. If you have any other questions about tanning please feel free to send me a PM and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options

I think you were the same that comment on my picture. Not sure how "uzi and teddy bear" equates with "having family members watching you die from a horrid disease". And I call BS on the "you have to be tan to not burn in the south". I lived in both of the Carolinas (four years in all) and the only time I burned was when we were at a tarmac for a day for an air show. And I spent plenty of time outside- always with sunscreen and usually a long sleeved shirt, even when it was over 100F.

Ok you have me going: Sorry for the others:::;

You are talking about us just tanning once in a while (not being tanning mom the freak), hoping we dont have family and being irresponsible for wanted to die in front of them????
    1st: we dont always get cancer from being in the sun..... less die. (% lower than other cancers)
    2nd: I hope YOU dont have a family by your pic of pointing a rifle at a teddy bear, which is even more irresponsible than plain exposure in the sun (and I will not enter the conversation of americans love affair with rifles coz it will get ugly - (most of them))
    3rd: We are not all crazy to get out in the sun at 35C (95F) and suffocate because I have a long sleeve t-shirt and full jeans. I put sunblock
    4th: Never said you had to be tan to go, lets say, CUBA. You go there white has milk unless you keep your sweater and stay in the shades you will burn to death even with sunblock... you need a LITTLE tan, a LITTLE color. But since since you put sweaters even at this kind of temperature you must not know that.

End of story. I WILL NOW BE POLITE AGAIN.

I do accept others opinions, but not when they almost call you dumb*ss!!!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the pool and the lake constantly when I was a kid and worship the sun. When I was older I started tanning and I'm one of those people that did it only in the late winter right before spring so I would have some color. Then I stayed out in the sun when the weather got warm. I did this for years. I have lost count as to how many moles I've had removed and biopsied. I have to go to the derm every 3 months. Every time I go, he still finds something he needs to biopsy. I haven't tanned in 8 years and I wear sunscreen religiously now. I still go out, but not for long and I have plenty of color. Thankfully, no cancer yet, but I know I did this to myself and I do regret it.