For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

Seriously. This is why people don't "diet" because they think they're only going to live on lettuce and nuts.

I eat pasta.
    I drank booze (can't now because I'm pregnant).
    I eat ice cream EVERY DAY. Yes, EVERY SINGLE DAY (and have for 7 months now)
    I eat fast food.
    Heck, I'll even have that 1000 calorie burrito from Chipotle.

And yes! I LOST WEIGHT. And how did I do it?

BY WORKING MY *kitten* OFF.

Did I really want that burrito? You bet I did. But I exercised to earn it.

Do I REALLY eat ice cream EVERY DAY? Sure do. I remember the days I would down half a container of Breyer's. Not anymore. The key is portion control. I get the Skinny Cow. Actually, right now I have full fat, full calorie TRIPLE CHOCOLATE DRUMSTICKS in my freezer. I had one last night, and golly, I made it fit into my plan.

*gasp* PASTA?! OH NO. Yes, I eat pasta and I do regularly. I'll usually have 1.5-2 servings of cheese ravioli WITH sauce PLUS vegetables with butter!

My macros are set at 45-35-20 and I hit them almost every day on point with calories to spare at the end of the day! Today - my macros came all to 0 at the end of the day.

You CAN eat all the "evil" foods. It's not a "diet", it's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE and the key to a lifestyle change is to enjoy everything you enjoy, but to adapt them in a way to make them fit into your new lifestyle.

Well done you.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I always love these threads be quad 90% of the posters who scream that clean eating is the only option and don't you want to be HEALTHY? have usually not lost that much weight. We all go on the evangilical kick when first starting out.

I've asked before and I've never received actual scientific evidence showing that all these 'unclean' foods are generally bad for the population when eaten in moderate amounts. Our problems over the last 40 years have been eating to excess. Not what we eat. We simply don't have the data to show that those foods are bad for us as part of a balanced diet.

Now I'm not talking about the people who have an intolerance to them (I feel so much better since cutting out white grains. I had white rice withot thinking and was doubled up in pain all night. Brown rice = awesome) People's bodies will react different to different foods. So learn what works for you.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

Exactly. Its not about just being within your calorie range. It's about being healthy, too. At least for me it is!

But if I only eat 100% healthy foods, I can't meet my calorie goals. So I gotta eat a mixture of healthy and not-so-healthy-but-okay-in-moderation foods. >.<

Do you eat nuts? Avocado? Whole grains? There are plenty of high calorie healthy whole food options.

WHY do some people who THINK they are eating "Clean" and /or Healthy believe that High Allergen foods (NUTS, Dairy, Whole Grain/Gluten, Soy, even fish and shell fish...) ARE HEALTHY for EVERYONE!!!? People need to start to use COMMON SENSE and whatever Works for them, and they want to Do it...Then "More Power To You!"

I just hope people know that all these EXCESSIVE Exercise Routines are NOT sustainable; not only that, they cause joint, muscle and tissue damage, and Running is one of the worse exercises you can do. So, choose what you will...to eat and to exercise, come 45+ you will PAY for it. You don't see people over 45 going much for the Extremes, because they did it, know it is not sustainable and many are now paying for the BAD Extreme choices they made at a younger age. The arthritis, back problems, muscle damage, foot problems, stomach problems, cancers...SoOoOoO, choose your poison NOW, we'll see the RESULTS at 40+ y.o.
    STICK with Moderation in All Things and as you age you will be able to make "Shifts" (in diet and exercise, and Life) Easier. But hey, I was told that too, when I was younger...didn't listen, paying for it...So, knock yourselves out! Do Extreme Everything!
    Best post of the thread.

Oh and low fat Pringles with Whey protein sludge is epic!
  • Hollie_R
    Hollie_R Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

Seriously. This is why people don't "diet" because they think they're only going to live on lettuce and nuts.

I eat pasta.
    I drank booze (can't now because I'm pregnant).
    I eat ice cream EVERY DAY. Yes, EVERY SINGLE DAY (and have for 7 months now)
    I eat fast food.
    Heck, I'll even have that 1000 calorie burrito from Chipotle.

And yes! I LOST WEIGHT. And how did I do it?

BY WORKING MY *kitten* OFF.

Did I really want that burrito? You bet I did. But I exercised to earn it.

Do I REALLY eat ice cream EVERY DAY? Sure do. I remember the days I would down half a container of Breyer's. Not anymore. The key is portion control. I get the Skinny Cow. Actually, right now I have full fat, full calorie TRIPLE CHOCOLATE DRUMSTICKS in my freezer. I had one last night, and golly, I made it fit into my plan.

*gasp* PASTA?! OH NO. Yes, I eat pasta and I do regularly. I'll usually have 1.5-2 servings of cheese ravioli WITH sauce PLUS vegetables with butter!

My macros are set at 45-35-20 and I hit them almost every day on point with calories to spare at the end of the day! Today - my macros came all to 0 at the end of the day.

You CAN eat all the "evil" foods. It's not a "diet", it's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE and the key to a lifestyle change is to enjoy everything you enjoy, but to adapt them in a way to make them fit into your new lifestyle.

Hells yes!
    People look at me when I say I'm really watching what I eat, they say things like "Oh, so you're dieting then?" Ah, no. I'm not. Why on earth would I deprive myself of all the things I enjoy eating!? Moderation is the key and if I want ice cream, I make damned sure it fits into my cals!
    I have a back injury so some days I can't move at all, but by golly, when I can, I do! Because of this, it takes me a little longer to lose the weight, but I'd rather lose it gradually than awfully quick and risk having it pile back on. 5kg (roughly 10lb) in just over 2 months is a damned good effort I think!

(BTW quoted this straight up before reading any other posts, just wanted to agree whole-heartedly!)

ETA: I joined MFP after already losing 4kg - that 1kg in my ticker is what I've lost since joining MFP.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I just think its a bit sad when people talk about 'depriving' themselves of ice cream or sweets like theyre an essential nutrient. 'I dont want to deprive myself'.....your body doesnt NEED it, its a psychological feeing, it tastes nice to you, so you want it, youre not 'depriving' yourself by not having it, youre just not having it.

I eat mostly unprocessed foods, no dairy, grains, etc. Do I feel deprived, no. I eat awesome delicous food every day and I enjoy it, I feel great. Sometimes I'll order a dessert when I go out, eat a little grain. I have a glass of wine if I want one. I dont feel deprived when I see people at work eat cake. I choose not to eat it, it doesnt make me sad. Its not that I CANT have it, its that I dont WANT it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just hope people know that all these EXCESSIVE Exercise Routines are NOT sustainable; not only that, they cause joint, muscle and tissue damage, and Running is one of the worse exercises you can do. So, choose what you will...to eat and to exercise, come 45+ you will PAY for it. You don't see people over 45 going much for the Extremes, because they did it, know it is not sustainable and many are now paying for the BAD Extreme choices they made at a younger age. The arthritis, back problems, muscle damage, foot problems, stomach problems, cancers...SoOoOoO, choose your poison NOW, we'll see the RESULTS at 40+ y.o.

I'm 40 now, and without sounding like a cheesy infomercial, I'm in the best shape of my life. I don't consider my exercise EXCESSIVE. I run about 3 times a week, usually between 3-6 miles, and lift weights about 3 times a week, between a half hour and an hour. Which is just about the same routine as my 55 year old brother.

I maintain my weight eating about 2000-2200 calories a day. Currently eating between 1800-2000 to lose a few. Plenty of room for pasta, potatoes, pizza and ice cream in that number of calories.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I used to eat everything in moderation and I'm always encouraging people like my Mum, who find it hard to cut out food or she'll quit, to eat that way.

Since I've got to my last 12lbs I haven't lost in maybe two months, give or take a week or so. I decided that my diet will be as clean as I can possibly get it while living in a house with 4 other people who like their junk.

Not only do I feel so much better for getting rid of junk like refined sugar snacks and processed foods but my weight loss moved again.

I live by the rule that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. No matter how hard you work, some things just aren't good for your body.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just think its a bit sad when people talk about 'depriving' themselves of ice cream or sweets like theyre an essential nutrient. 'I dont want to deprive myself'.....your body doesnt NEED it, its a psychological feeing, it tastes nice to you, so you want it, youre not 'depriving' yourself by not having it, youre just not having it.

I eat mostly unprocessed foods, no dairy, grains, etc. Do I feel deprived, no. I eat awesome delicous food every day and I enjoy it, I feel great. Sometimes I'll order a dessert when I go out, eat a little grain. I have a glass of wine if I want one. I dont feel deprived when I see people at work eat cake. I choose not to eat it, it doesnt make me sad. Its not that I CANT have it, its that I dont WANT it.

good points
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

Exactly. Its not about just being within your calorie range. It's about being healthy, too. At least for me it is!

But if I only eat 100% healthy foods, I can't meet my calorie goals. So I gotta eat a mixture of healthy and not-so-healthy-but-okay-in-moderation foods. >.<

Do you eat nuts? Avocado? Whole grains? There are plenty of high calorie healthy whole food options.

WHY do some people who THINK they are eating "Clean" and /or Healthy believe that High Allergen foods (NUTS, Dairy, Whole Grain/Gluten, Soy, even fish and shell fish...) ARE HEALTHY for EVERYONE!!!? People need to start to use COMMON SENSE and whatever Works for them, and they want to Do it...Then "More Power To You!"

STICK with Moderation in All Things and as you age you will be able to make "Shifts" (in diet and exercise, and Life) Easier. But hey, I was told that too, when I was younger...didn't listen, paying for it...So, knock yourselves out! Do Extreme Everything!
    Best post of the thread.

Oh and low fat Pringles with Whey protein sludge is epic!

44 here - play A-level hockey every week with guys in their 20s-30s. Been doing P90x 5x per week since January and still loving it. The pains and aches only vanished once I gave up the Big Macs and chips, put down the remote and got up off my fat *kitten*. I would rather stay active and battle a sore knee or back than deal with obesity, diabetes and atherosclerosis (which was where I was headed). Just my experience...
  • lucykg1980
    Options
    I mean....yeah you should eat what you want within reason, but you aren't doing yourself any favours eating rubbish every day so what's your point? I would say eat ice cream as a treat, pasta daily is fine and a bit of fast food isn't going to do you any harm at all and yeah exercise *shrug*
  • loufranks
    loufranks Posts: 45
    Options
    I have the same philosophy!

My previous diets didn't work because my approcah was "all or nothing". How ever did I think I could go the rest of my life without all of the things I love? Heck I couldn't even manage a month and it's no wonder.

Now I have little bits of everything - it's all about portion control...and it's taken a LOT of effort to be able to restrict my portions. Some days I fail and binge, but that's life!
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How do you control yourself with portions? The more I exercise, the more I can't control myself because my cravings get intensified. Example, I burn 200 calories, I was going to eat one cookie, but then I end up eating 1,000 calories worth of food in addition to that one cookie. :(

Portion control is THE ABSOLUTE KEY. I have a food scale and I weigh every single thing I eat. I was using measuring cups/spoons only to find out I was grossly over or under estimating. With the scale, there's no lying.
    I also weigh everything I eat. My problem is that I can't control myself when I get to a certain point of hunger/craving. :(
  • MrsSpindler
    Options
    If that works for you, then great! But that doesn't work for everyone else. I won't kill my self at the gym to have a pizza or ice cream. Instead, I have sugar free ice cream or low fat ice cream. Plus all that food has junk in it. It's great that you can lose weight on your "diet", but eventually it'll catch up to you.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I guess, it is OK to eat this so called "bad food" , as long as you also include "good foods" with vitamins etc., to stay healthy. Candy, chips and icecream .... are really not essential for your body.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key great post OP
  • afarrow78
    afarrow78 Posts: 13
    Options
    I totally agree, it is all about portion control! I have learned that. Last summer I started the journey to lose weight then within a month I found out I was pregnant. I lost about 20lbs. Now my little on is 8wks old and I am ready to get my butt in gear!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If that works for you, then great! But that doesn't work for everyone else.

Could you have left it at the above, without adding the snark below? :ohwell:
    It's great that you can lose weight on your "diet", but eventually it'll catch up to you.

I don't kill myself at the gym ( don't even belong to one) to have pizza or ice cream, either. I typically get the doctor-recommended 30 minutes of exercise a day. Maybe a little more, because it makes me feel good. How it makes me look, and how it allows me to eat, is a bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

I have to think that eating minimally so you can avoid exercise poses much more risks of it "catching up to you."
  • PFJules
    PFJules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    FOOD DOES NOT EQUAL HAPPINESS!!!!! People on here say, well I eat those foods because I don't want to give them up. what's the point of being skinny if you are not happy..... STOP BEING IN DENIAL, YOU ARE ALREADY NOT HAPPY, THAT IS WHY YOU ARE ON THIS SITE FOR THE MOST PART. You will be happy because you will be healthy, your body will be working perfectly and you will have the energy to do other things, rather than dwelling on the candies that you are not "allowed" to eat. The whole point is to be healthy. Skinny people have heart attacks too you know. They have cellulite and digestive problems.... the list goes on. Your goal should not be to be skinny, you should aim to be healthy.
    With respect it is not for you to decide what another adults goal should be!!!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good for you, skinny doesn't mean heathy though ... Just sayin' ...

THUMBS UP!
  • Hollie_R
    Hollie_R Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that you feel like I am saying that I am sad and deprived or depriving myself of sugar.
    I agree, they're not an essential nutrient as you mention, but what I am saying is that, like with many others in this post it is about everything in moderation. (BTW I lost 20kgs pre-back injury and maintained until said injury, so I know I can do this again).
    My 65kg 29yo male partner was craving ice cream tonight. I wasn't.
    Why? Because I genuinely didn't feel like it.
    I'm not saying I NEED it, I'm just saying if there is that time when I feel like something sugary and sweet, I will have it. I don't eat ice cream or cake (not even a huge cake fan) or pie etc. every single day, nor have I ever. But when I would eat it, I would indulge. Now, as I have demonstrated twice today, I know when I don't want something.
    I also hate McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks/Burger King, Red Rooster etc. I gave them up cold turkey 15 months ago, and just the smell of them makes me want to be sick. I don't have a problem with anyone who eats them though.

Today I chose fresh cherries over a packaged muesli slice that was laden with sugar. I know what's right, I know what's wrong. I watch what I eat. I'm succeeding, I'm seeing results and my fitness is returning.