For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: :devil:
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

Seriously. This is why people don't "diet" because they think they're only going to live on lettuce and nuts.

I eat pasta.
    I drank booze (can't now because I'm pregnant).
    I eat ice cream EVERY DAY. Yes, EVERY SINGLE DAY (and have for 7 months now)
    I eat fast food.
    Heck, I'll even have that 1000 calorie burrito from Chipotle.

And yes! I LOST WEIGHT. And how did I do it?

BY WORKING MY *kitten* OFF.

Did I really want that burrito? You bet I did. But I exercised to earn it.

Do I REALLY eat ice cream EVERY DAY? Sure do. I remember the days I would down half a container of Breyer's. Not anymore. The key is portion control. I get the Skinny Cow. Actually, right now I have full fat, full calorie TRIPLE CHOCOLATE DRUMSTICKS in my freezer. I had one last night, and golly, I made it fit into my plan.

*gasp* PASTA?! OH NO. Yes, I eat pasta and I do regularly. I'll usually have 1.5-2 servings of cheese ravioli WITH sauce PLUS vegetables with butter!

My macros are set at 45-35-20 and I hit them almost every day on point with calories to spare at the end of the day! Today - my macros came all to 0 at the end of the day.

You CAN eat all the "evil" foods. It's not a "diet", it's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE and the key to a lifestyle change is to enjoy everything you enjoy, but to adapt them in a way to make them fit into your new lifestyle.

I have lost all my weight doing this same exact thing.

Except the burritos because I never liked them or I would be eating them as well.

And of course the drinking thing, becasue I am not pregnant.

Moderation is the key!!!!!!!!!!

I am down to 181 pounds. I am devloping awesome stamina and some nice muscle definition.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

I wasn't talking about people with health issues. If you have a realistic health issue (ie-diabetes) you are excluded from this conversation. I'm talking about normal, everyday people who are basically overall in good health who just THINK they can't have "normal" food.

An estimated 20% of people in the US have insulin resistance. Most of these people are overweight. So the percentage of people on MFP that have insulin resistance is most likely higher than 20%. When you have insulin resistance, your body doesn't digest carbs the way the body of someone without insulin resistance does. It's best to follow a low carb, high protein diet when you have insulin resistance. Sooooo those people CAN'T have ice cream, pasta, pizza, etc on a normal basis and be successful at losing weight.

So although you say you weren't talking about "those people", a lot of "those people" are on this site.

Butthurt much?

Legitimate medical reasons aside... there's still no reason to whine about what you can't have.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    FOOD DOES NOT EQUAL HAPPINESS!!!!! People on here say, well I eat those foods because I don't want to give them up. what's the point of being skinny if you are not happy..... STOP BEING IN DENIAL, YOU ARE ALREADY NOT HAPPY, THAT IS WHY YOU ARE ON THIS SITE FOR THE MOST PART. You will be happy because you will be healthy, your body will be working perfectly and you will have the energy to do other things, rather than dwelling on the candies that you are not "allowed" to eat. The whole point is to be healthy. Skinny people have heart attacks too you know. They have cellulite and digestive problems.... the list goes on. Your goal should not be to be skinny, you should aim to be healthy.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Same here. I eat what I want, but try to add in extra exercise when I know I'me going to have the good stuff...pizza, burgers, pasta, cakes candies and cookies etc. I've lost 47 pounds still eating what I want in moderation or planning for it.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

Thank you for saying this... I am one of those people. And while I could theoretically eat all that crap it would have serious implications to my health, and I wouldn't lose weight... because I have a medical condition. It really irritates me how ignorant some people are about how common these conditions are and that some people legitimately can't stuff their face full of crap like others and still see results on the scale.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

Exactly! Skinny people can still be unhealthy and have diabetes and heart disease. You will be better off in the long run if you learn to eat healthy and nutritious.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm all for moderation, but I can't stand when people eat 1200-1800 calories of *only* junk food and think they're healthy. You might be losing weight if you do that but you're not healthy. I'm trying for health, so for me moderation isn't something that's highly processed once a day, it's an unhealthy meal once or twice a week, or just a bite of something here or there. Weight loss is okay but coming from a skinny-fat person (I am thin but utterly flabby and weak) health is better. :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Exactly! Skinny people can still be unhealthy and have diabetes and heart disease. You will be better off in the long run if you learn to eat healthy and nutritious.

Exactly. I have seen way too many young people at the hospital where I work who have all sorts of awful diseases. Type 2 diabetes used to be known as "adult onset" diabetes... but now even children are getting it. It's so sad. People can do what they want but I just don't think it's healthy eating crap on a regular basis.
  • sdtjwp
    sdtjwp Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this posting. I do the same thing and get highly criticized by some people. I agree with it being portion control. I ate out twice today because of what we were doing and I still have 400 calories at the end of the day. I just watched what I ate, but ate what I wanted! I am down 10 but will be down a lot more! :-) It wouldn't be fair if I didn't eat what I wanted. I would just gain the weight back again. I know I can't go without it, especially with the lifestyle that we live!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    wow, wish i could. i literally feel physically sick to my stomach nowadays if i eat anything that comes from a package except for peanut butter and rice cakes.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I think a big debate in this thread is to why you are here and what you are looking for in this tool.
    Most people seem to use MFP as myWEIGHTLOSSpal.
    Others really do think of it as myFITNESSpal.
    Although weight-loss can go into fitness, fitness is a lot more complex than a number on a scale. People will choose where they want to be on this. For some, starting to get to better fitness just means focussing on weight-loss for now and then maybe becoming more fit later.

I try to make at least 70/30 whole/natural food choices daily (if not more). It's not as good as I have been on a fitness level, and it's not where I hope to stay. But as a working, volunteering, grad-student it's what will do for now to at least keep some control.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Let me expalin a bit.

We may not be eating TOTALLY healthy. BUT, in my case anyway, because I watch everything I put in my mouth, I am eating 1000 times healthier than before I started my change. I use whole wheat pasta instead of regular. I eat a ton more veggies than ever before. Brown rice instead of white. ETC...

Once again, I will not dprive myself totally. But over time, I am slowly changing and eating better. Almost by default. Because the less calories I eat, the more I look for fewer calories in larger portions. Hence the veggies and things of that nature.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How many of us started our "diet" by eating clean, only to fail?! I think the post is extremely encouraging to those who have "tried everything".
    Of course clean eating is the ideal way to go, but for many it just won't work. Many people, like me, will find that a slower adaptation to healthier living will last for the long term.
    I don't think her post was rude at all. And if it's wasn't PC enough for you- please! Seriously?? She's just told a lot of people that they CAN do it. Some minor changes in their lifestyle can make a world of difference.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I think a big debate in this thread is to why you are here and what you are looking for in this tool.
    Most people seem to use MFP as myWEIGHTLOSSpal.
    Others really do think of it as myFITNESSpal.
    Although weight-loss can go into fitness, fitness is a lot more complex than a number on a scale. People will choose where they want to be on this. For some, starting to get to better fitness just means focussing on weight-loss for now and then maybe becoming more fit later.

I try to make at least 70/30 whole/natural food choices daily (if not more). It's not as good as I have been on a fitness level, and it's not where I hope to stay. But as a working, volunteering, grad-student it's what will do for now to at least keep some control.

That's a good point, thanks for posting. People here are at different stages of their journey and have different goals. My goals have definitely changed as I've learned more about health.
  • mcw1976
    mcw1976 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in eating what you like ..... as long as you practice portion control. I don't think I could stay with my "diet" if all I ate was rice cakes and raw veggies. I have read other people say " Lifestyle Change" which I fully agree with. Life does not always allow you to eat your "diet" foods all the time. You have to learn how to eat everyday foods in moderation to fit your new healthier lifestyle.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    wow, wish i could. i literally feel physically sick to my stomach nowadays if i eat anything that comes from a package except for peanut butter and rice cakes.
    Ever since I went to a plant base diet If I eat package food, meat or dairy I get sick and have digestive problems. I have spent a lot of time researching GMO's, Factory farming and all the cancer causing chemical crap that is in 70% of the so called food in the stores. The more research I have done the less I want to eat that crap.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree but with a slight tweak. I'm a fan of the 80-20 rule, so personally I try to stay on my eating plan of eating more fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains and dairy 80% of the time, and 20% of the time just doing WTH I want. :laugh: For some people, it's better to plan treats within a day of eating healthy, but I feel I'm better off with one day of "cheating". And I don't cram everything I can in my mouth, either, nor do I take advantage of each day I "allot" for myself (once every week).

I find that if I have treats more than that, it increases my cravings. That's just my take. :smokin:

I agree with the 80/20 rule. Yes, sometimes I eat things that would not be considered "healthy", but I limit it to no more than 20% of my diet. I couldn't eat "pasta, fast food and ice cream!" every day, not because of "weight loss", but because my true goal is not only to weight less, but to be healthy. Weight loss is just one facet in that goal. Plus, I have learned that when I eat junk, I feel bad. When I eat good food, I feel better. Why would I eat things that make me feel bad?

I'm reminded of Dr. Haub of K-State that lost weight on the Twinkie diet. Can you do that? Yes because ultimately it's about calories vs calories out. Should you? Well, that's a different story isn't it?

Now, that said, if you can eat "pasta, fast food, and ice cream" and lose weight and feel good doing it, more power to you, eat what you like! All I ask is that you understand that not everyone can or should eat that way, nor are we all focused solely on weight loss.
  • evita6983
    evita6983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Agreed. If you are eating these things on a regular basis, you are not feeding your body what it needs for good health. If you want to treat yourself to something every now and then that's one thing but a true lifestyle change is eating healthy, clean foods. Your body and taste buds will adjust to the change and you won't crave the foods you are talking about anymore. Basically, you are addicted and advocating for all the food industries that want you to be addicted. I thought the same as you a few months ago. Just try and learn more about food and health and I guarantee you that your opinion will change. Like they say, knowledge is power.