For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    I eat anything i want in moderation. If i didn't i would go crazy and not hit any of my calorie goals. The only thing i know i can't have is dill pickle chips, because i can't control myself. Well unless i get the small bags. Eta- I don't eat fast food because i don't want it. I don't eat much meat other then fish, because it doesn't agree with me.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I dont agree with this at all, sorry.

sure you can lose "weight" eating anything as long as you stay in your calorie marking however what are you putting in your body? things that are not healthy. Excessively processed foods, high levels of sodium, refined sugars etc will get you insomnia, heart attacks diabetes 2 and strokes. Not to mention a parade of other serious diseases and complications.

So what is your goal really? just to "look good" or to be healthy and extend your life?

proper nutrition is also essential for anti-aging. So you MAY be hitting your macros but youre eating processed junk.

Not to say its not important to have cheat MEALS twice a week (MEALS not DAYS) but this shouldnt be an every day thing. In moderation with portion control 2 meals a week, but to each his own. Congrats on your loss so far.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I eat anything i want in moderation. If i didn't i would go crazy and not hit any of my calorie goals. The only thing i know i can't have is dill pickle chips, because i can't control myself. Well unless i get the small bags.

This is why the MickieD's Value menu is awesome, if I got a Medium fries, I'd eat a medium fries, if I get a small fries I eat the small fries.

If I get a big mac I will eat a big mac, if I get a cheeseburger I'll eat the cheeseburger.

Way better portion control, and saves on the wallet
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ It truly comes down to how you want to feel ... or look. You can lose weight eating just about anything in moderation ... will you feel great ? Do you have high energy levels ... and is your body defined by muscle tone ?

Some people choose to eat " clean " ... because it makes them feel great ! I can say that I honestly eat clean 90% of the time and I love that feeling of " strong " ... in those 10% " moments " ... I feel sluggish and defeated ... it literally makes me want to just try harder to get back on track !

But again, what works for one ... doesn't necessarily work for everybody else ! If your eating habits make you happy .... I'm all for it ... but just know ... us fitness " freaks " are just as happy eating all of our nuts, greens, fruits and proteins !

:flowerforyou:
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Some people actually can't do the whole in moderation thing when it comes to certain foods for reasons of control. So, I don't know who this is directed towards, comes off as being directed towards advocates of clean eating, those who say they have to limit carbs or they don't lose weight, those who identify "bad" foods, etc, but there are some people who have the need to limit some things because of the emotional addiction to them - they cannot have it in moderation.

Couldn't agree more. For my health (not just to lose weight) I can not eat things like that.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Just because you eat a ton of junk and still lose weight doesn't mean every single person on MFP is going to have success with eating a bunch of crap on a regular basis, just in smaller portions. I personally know I do not lose if I have my carbs too high and sodium (which is very high in a lot of fast food) causes me to have massive water retention. For me, moderation is having one day or a day and a half max a week and having whatever I want. Not every day.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Some people actually can't do the whole in moderation thing when it comes to certain foods for reasons of control. So, I don't know who this is directed towards, comes off as being directed towards advocates of clean eating, those who say they have to limit carbs or they don't lose weight, those who identify "bad" foods, etc, but there are some people who have the need to limit some things because of the emotional addiction to them - they cannot have it in moderation.

Couldn't agree more. For my health (not just to lose weight) I can not eat things like that.

And you are smart enough to know that. Most of the Dr. Oz viewers aren't that smart :laugh:
  • miztae
    miztae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im my opinion do what works for YOU!!! people can only speak for themselves and what works for THEM!! You are human and eating those things doesn't make you less than one. I treat myself to different things all the time. At the end of the day it's YOUR lifestyle not OTHERS.
    IF everyone in the world did things so perfect then we wouldn't be where we are today. Most of us are all on this site to make a lifestyle change because somewhere down the rd we ended up down the wrong path.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    AGAIN - THE THINGS I MENTIONED ARE NOT THINGS I EAT EVERY DAY.

I eat fairly healthy. Could I eat healthier? Yes, probably. Surely. Absolutely.

Do I eat McDonald's every day? GOD NO. I didn't eat it for about 7 months.And I only started eating it again because I am pregnant and I was CRAVING it. Do I eat Chipotle once a week? Usually, yes.

My normal meals look something like this:

two corn tortillas (whole grain), brushed with .5 tablespoon olive oil (healthy fat) baked until crisp. Spread with fat free refried beans (plant based protein), and low fat cheese - baked until cheese is melted. Served with vegetables.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds in college and I ate pizza and pasta everyday. Was that a stable and responsible way to feed my body's needs? Not really.

While you may stay in your calories, are you thinking about your cholesterol levels, your blood pressure, or if you are getting the essential nutrients your body needs every day?

This is just my personal POV, but I think of myself when I'm 85 years old. How are my decisions now going to affect me then?

Point of my post, eat what you want, but don't knock others that are more scrutinizing about what they put in their body.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Im a recovering binge eater so I cant eat icecream everyday ...lol. I believe some people cut things out of their diet so they can focus on other things besides food. If i eat high fat/protein and lower carb I find myself way LESS preoccupied with food and way more satiated. I also enjoy everything I eat....I don't force myself to eat anything I don't like. Ill eat processed foods or sweets/carbs about 1x a week but thats only because its easier for me to control myself that way. So bash all you want on people who choose to cut foods out of their diet, but for some people I think its much easier for them that way.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I agree and disagree.

The way I eat IS my lifestyle and NOT a diet. But that lifestyle does not include eating foods like that. Doesn't matter how much I workout. My body does not adapt well to major sugar or carbs. If I eat that stuff, I'll gain weight., Period.
    And regardless, if I want to be healthy, those foods are not the way to go about it.
    That's like saying if you like smoking, don't deprive yourself.

Your body chemistry is obviously just different.
  • Sam_Hain
    Sam_Hain Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can't eat pasta, fast food, or ice cream!

Know why? Because I have NO freaking willpower when it comes to those things and I know it.

So here's the rephrase:

I WON'T eat fast food/ice cream (pasta really isn't an issue). This is a failing on me and would normally be an off hand comment and not the focus of my dietary habits.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Honestly, I will do what I want with my body and if that means not eating pasta ect. then so be it. Not everyone's bodies work the same, and if they feel they need to stay away from certain foods for whatever reason that may be, they can do so, and SHOULD do so. When you're going into this weight loss and health thing, it's important to do what works for YOU and what you feel comfortable with.

So fine, you go and do what you like, but don't be so rude about people who go about it a different way.
    To each their own, really.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

tumblr_m774nxOcvK1qhhnei.gif
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    To address your original post, sure, you can eat all those things and still lose weight, especially if you are willing to work your butt off to earn the calories for them.....

But to address it from another angle, you can also lose weight, but not eating them, and not working out at all...............so it will come down to preference for people.

Personally, doing cardio for an hour plus in order to eat something that isn't really good for me anyway, just isn't worth it.

You can eat whatever you want, as much as you want, if you are willing to burn off those calories. But in the same token, you can not workout at all, and lose the same amount of weight by keeping your calories in check.........

different strokes................
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I remember eating 5,000+ calories after graduating high school. I didn't get fat since I was quite active playing volleyball and weight training. Three years of eating like this did give me hypertension, though. My typical day was this:

Breakfast: 6 scrambled eggs with 4 medium sized wheat pancakes topped with 1tbsp pancake syrup.
    An hour later: a 1,000 calorie heavyweight gainer protein/carb shake with 2 large bananas.

10am: Foot-long Subway Meatball sub with cheese and iced tea (unsweetened).

1pm: whole box of Hamburger Helper.

3pm: two tuna sandwiches using 2 cans of tuna fish and 2tbsp Miracle Whip.

5pm: whole box of Tuna Helper.

Weight training for 1 hour (6 days a week) and indoor Volleyball for 3 hours (Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday).

10pm: Peanut butter and Banana sandwich with protein shake.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

What is a clean food?
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This thread is ticking me off. I agree with the OP...and for those who say, "eating those things is not clean eating, you're hurting yourself, skinny is not healthy", etc, etc.....DUH. Most of us get that. But damn it, I've lost almost 100 pounds, and you can't tell me that eating "crap" every once in awhile is going to hurt me when I'm SO much healthier overall.

I know that's not the major intent of what people were saying but it just rubbed me the wrong way.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

Breakfast: 6 scrambled eggs

I will NEVER forget the time I bought a Jimmy Dean Skillet Breakfast - serves 4, made with 6 eggs. I cooked it and started eating it. It was so good so I kept eating it. I got to about a 1/2 cup remaining and started feeling sick. I realized I had just consumed nearly 6 eggs. I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack.