For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree but with a slight tweak. I'm a fan of the 80-20 rule, so personally I try to stay on my eating plan of eating more fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains and dairy 80% of the time, and 20% of the time just doing WTH I want. :laugh: For some people, it's better to plan treats within a day of eating healthy, but I feel I'm better off with one day of "cheating". And I don't cram everything I can in my mouth, either, nor do I take advantage of each day I "allot" for myself (once every week).

I find that if I have treats more than that, it increases my cravings. That's just my take. :smokin:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't know I'd go so far as to say if you don't eat clean 100% of the time you're "destroying your health". That's a very strong term.

It's not optimal, but you can look at this argument from another perspective: I've heard people say you should never skydive, bungee jump, scuba dive solo, go back country skiing or ride a motorcycle or a race car at a high rate of speed because you're endangering your life.

Well... you do only live once. So it comes down to the value a person places on the adrenaline sport in question or, rather in this food argument, the food or drink. For some people, they'd rather shorten their life for the enjoyment of everyday things than live a long and healthy and safe life without the fun factor... whatever that fun factor may come from for them.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah. I'm down 35lb on the pizza, beer, and work-my-*kitten*-off diet and exercise plan.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah. I'm down 35lb on the pizza, beer, and work-my-*kitten*-off diet and exercise plan.

LOVE THIS!
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!! Thank god someone else said it. Yup, I'm a junk food junkie. I eat what I want, when I want, and I LOVE it. What do I do when I run out of calories? I workout again! So it's my choice....sometimes I'll workout two or three times a day just so I can enjoy my crap.....in the long run it benefits me.
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    I agree but with a slight tweak. I'm a fan of the 80-20 rule, so personally I try to stay on my eating plan of eating more fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains and dairy 80% of the time, and 20% of the time just doing WTH I want. :laugh: For some people, it's better to plan treats within a day of eating healthy, but I feel I'm better off with one day of "cheating". And I don't cram everything I can in my mouth, either, nor do I take advantage of each day I "allot" for myself (once every week).

I find that if I have treats more than that, it increases my cravings. That's just my take. :smokin:

This is well said. Most people are not machines and can't eat "clean" all of the time. I'm sure everyone is trying to do their best. We're all here for our own reasons and we're not all going to agree on what's best of each of us.
  • MommaSpunk
    MommaSpunk Posts: 113
    Options
    I still eat my pastas but they are whole grain and have been for a long time now. I do not eat them as often as I did and at times I will grab a bisquit it just takes away from my calorie limit for the day. I accept that and I would like to eat cleaned but at the same time I love some of my home foods.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    omg something worked for you them it must work for everyone else!! in exactly that same way! because we are all the same!

::eyeroll::
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    But a Skinny Cow Ice Cream is not a "normal food". There are tons of chemicals in those! You're better off with a nice full fat 1/2 cup of breyers if you can fit it into your allotment.

So true! If you are going to have ice cream go for the real stuff and enjoy every bite. Heck I even lick the bowl!
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation :flowerforyou:
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    omg something worked for you them it must work for everyone else!! in exactly that same way! because we are all the same!

::eyeroll::

^This.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

This is the way I feel too. I won't put anyone down for feeling otherwise, but it's not the lifestyle I choose to live. For me, it's more about WHAT I put in my body and knowing where it came from, how it was processed, etc.
    I'm with you, Healthy and skinny are not the same thing. I would rather eat healthy and I believe that it is not always the same for every one. I also believe there is enough research to show what you put into your body affect your overall health or lack there of.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs moderating my diet in the same manner you have. And I feel great, I still have more to lose, but if I couldn't eat those foods, I'd have quit long ago. So to me, personally, its worth it.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This thread is ticking me off. I agree with the OP...and for those who say, "eating those things is not clean eating, you're hurting yourself, skinny is not healthy", etc, etc.....DUH. Most of us get that. But damn it, I've lost almost 100 pounds, and you can't tell me that eating "crap" every once in awhile is going to hurt me when I'm SO much healthier overall.

I know that's not the major intent of what people were saying but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

once in a while is fine, but some may take the OP as well i can eat burger king all day as long as i stay in my calories or i can eat this entire box of chocolate chip cookies as long as thats all i eat all day etc.

its not healthy.
  • Tiggertails1975
    Options
    i KNOW THAT FEELING ALL TO WELL, I HAVE BEEN AN OVER EATER SINCE I CAN REMEMBER. THEN THE GUILT AFTERWARDS. I HAVE FOUND THAT FOR ME I HAVE TO MAKE MY PLATES OF FOOD THE NIGHT BEFORE OR THAT MORNING AFTER I HAVE EATEN BREAKFAST. THEN SET ALL MY FOOD FOR THAT DAY ON ONE SHELF IN THE REFRIGERATOR AND I WATCH IT DIMINISH THROUGH OUT THE DAY THIS WAY I DON'T HAVE TO THINK. I KEEP MY SELF BUSY KEEP THE JUNK FOOD OUT OF MY HOUSE AND TALK TO MY SHRINK ABOUT THE DESIRES I HAVE TO GORGE MYSELF ON JUNK FOOD. THAT DESIRE TO GORGE IS NOT HUNGER IT IS THE BRAIN. AND THAT WE NEED A SHRINK FOR. IT IS A COMBINATION EFFORT FOR SOME OF US
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You know what? I lost weight that way...kept it off many years that way. Had cellulite and loose skin that whole time too! And when I hit 38...energy gone, sick and tired all the time even though I still worked out and I wasn't getting the results I wanted. My legs didn't look like I worked out the cellulite got so bad. But the main thing is I was SICK AND TIRED all the time. Decided to try Shakeology and figured if I'm spending that much money to supplement my diet...let me try this whole clean eating thingy. I don't deprive myself. I have cheat days. Wednesday I had almost an entire cheat day with no guilt b/c I typically just have a couple of cheat meals and snacks per week. Thursday morning? Tired, queasy, stomach pains, constipation and my body ACHED. I'll cheat again but it comes with a price for me.

Since eating cleaner I've had more energy, more stamina, better mood, better digestion and am accomplishing things physically that I didn't think I could...and my abs are back and bangin!! So although I DO agree that it's a lifestyle change and not about deprivation, I also think there's a way to go about healthing up a lot of those junk foods. And I eat real eggs and real butter and real food. When I went food shopping 2day, the only middle aisles I went down (where all the processed crap is) was to get coffee, Nature Valley granola thins, tuna for me and the cats (lol), minced rosemary and stevia. Everything else was FRESH...yanno, real food. And one frozen dinner in case something comes up during the week and it was Amy's all natural, gluten free organic stuff. I'm not perfect...I also allow myself a couple of cookies a couple of times per week but I'm more likely now to stick a dark chocolate square into all natural peanut butter and enjoy that as much, if not more these days, than a Reese cup and they used to be my FAVORITE!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I'm not much on the fast food, but yeah, sometimes! I also have ice cream every single night! Unless someone ate the last of it before I could get to it, and then we have a problem..LOL
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    That's THE key: MODERATION

I eat a lot of things that I denied myself for a long time..but I did lose weight by denying myself sugar, and bad carbs for almost a year...ate a LOT of vegies, protein, yogurt..etc....but would have those things I denied myself during that time, once a week...within moderation.

Now, I eat it if I want it...but as you, I incorporate it into my calories for the day...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    But a Skinny Cow Ice Cream is not a "normal food". There are tons of chemicals in those! You're better off with a nice full fat 1/2 cup of breyers if you can fit it into your allotment.

So true! If you are going to have ice cream go for the real stuff and enjoy every bite. Heck I even lick the bowl!

Totally agree. I tried a Skinny Cow cup and afterward my tongue felt like someone sprayed it with PAM. I asked my DD about it and she told me DONT EAT THAT JUNK. So I purchased a tiny cup of Haagen Daas....twice the calories but all good stuff. Its worth it to eat real food.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

I wasn't talking about people with health issues. If you have a realistic health issue (ie-diabetes) you are excluded from this conversation. I'm talking about normal, everyday people who are basically overall in good health who just THINK they can't have "normal" food.

An estimated 20% of people in the US have insulin resistance. Most of these people are overweight. So the percentage of people on MFP that have insulin resistance is most likely higher than 20%. When you have insulin resistance, your body doesn't digest carbs the way the body of someone without insulin resistance does. It's best to follow a low carb, high protein diet when you have insulin resistance. Sooooo those people CAN'T have ice cream, pasta, pizza, etc on a normal basis and be successful at losing weight.

So although you say you weren't talking about "those people", a lot of "those people" are on this site.