For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Regularly eating it means what? Once a day, once a week, once a month?

I probably eat junk food once or twice a week. I also drink almost every weekend. I am not trying to lose weight. I am healthy and in shape. What's the point here?

Let's just say, compare your diary to the OP's... Fast food every other day, for instance. I'm not a clean eater either, but having been in the fitness/nutrition world for years, the thing I notice about people who maintain athletic bodies is that the bulk of their diet is nutritious... "Junk food" is a snack or a dessert, not a meal. And if it is, it's a rare meal.

Just wondering what the difference is between people in this argument. Of course people see results on both sides in terms of weight loss, I'm just interested in the people who are maintaining a slim/athletic body, not losing weight
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Ummm....Olive oil comes from olives, which come off trees, which are from the ground......Cheese is a product of an animal that had a parent......whole grains, again, come out of the ground.

Just sayin'

Thank you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What the hell is "clean" food anyway? Every time I think something's clean I get attacked saying that nooooo that'll make you faaaaat. I wash my veggies before cooking them, does that make them clean? Maybe I should just drink water for the rest of my life, unless well water will make me fat too. :/

Clean food is food that is right out of the ground. Or food that has a parent.

How can meat be a clean food? One hamburger can contain body parts from 100 different cows and then is washed with ammonia! I guess eating ammonia is clean! LOL

Yeah...as if there are actually some people out there who purchase beef cattle from a farmer they know who raises cattle on grassy pastures...and then pay a processor to grind certain cuts of meat to their specifications...or even grind their own at home.

Oh, wait. These people actually do exist. But since not *everyone* does it this way, then it can't possibly be true that *some* people do?

False dichotomies FTW!
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So interesting to read all the back-biting and bickering here. Everybody just do what you want to do. Honestly-for cryin' out loud, who really cares?

I agree. Eat however you want to reach your goals. :)
  • duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    So in order to have a healthy body, it has to be athletic?

Or slim. But I personally think "healthy" means your body is able to lift something heavy or run for some amount of distance. If you don't agree, that's fine.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    100% agree. I'm tired of the "YOU'RE NOT HEALTHY THOUGH IF YOU DON'T EAT COMPLETELY CLEAN FOODS!!!!!1!!1!"

Oh please. Not all of us care to live the healthiest lifestyle in the world. I always thought I had to give up pasta, pizza, sweets, chips, fast food in order to lose weight. But did I? No. And I am starting to lose weight. 5lbs away from a weight I haven't seen in ages! The difference is, I eat when I can eat in my day, but if it's too much, I don't eat it. I exercise. I move. I burn.

Sorry, but there ain't a single soul in the world that's going to convince me to only eat fruits and veggies my whole life. If that's the case, it's just not worth it.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thank you all for the lively debate.
    Gonna go to the gym now and then follow it off by a Big Mac meal from Mickie D's.

Why? Because this pregnant girl has a craving for it and I already planned it into my day!

No offense but I feel sorry for you. At least have a burger that is not factory farmed. Why not get a burger and fries from a small family owned restaurant? Or make it at home?

Cuz as soon as I finished working out and showering and all that I have an ob/gyn appointment. No time right now to make a home cooked burger.

There's always time to make a home cooked meal. It takes the same number of minutes as going to the fast food joint, waiting in line, driving to and from the fast food place...it only takes 30 minutes to make a meal at home. You can even buy burgers at your local butcher.

Watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. You'll learn a thing or two.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

exactly
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Ummm....Olive oil comes from olives, which come off trees, which are from the ground......Cheese is a product of an animal that had a parent......whole grains, again, come out of the ground.

Just sayin'

Thank you.

You're welcome :)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Olive oil, cheese and bread are all processed, therefore they are bad for you. Pretty simple actually

Tell that to cultures on the planet where people live longer than anywhere else. Places like the islands off Greece. Iceland. Japan. Places where for generations people have eaten local, regional food...yes, including olive oil, cheese, and bread...and they live WAY longer and healthier than other places.

A life without olive oil, cheese, and bread is not a life I'm interested in living.

I wouldn't want to live without those things either. How can you cook without olive oil? :/
    What the hell is "clean" food anyway? Every time I think something's clean I get attacked saying that nooooo that'll make you faaaaat. I wash my veggies before cooking them, does that make them clean? Maybe I should just drink water for the rest of my life, unless well water will make me fat too. :/

So meat, fruit and veggies and that's it? No olive oil? No natural cheeses? No bread at all? Even whole grain breads? Not a lot of room for variety. :/

Just sayin'

Well, apparently it's not that cut and dry as some people seem to think they aren't acceptable. I'm confused. :/
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options

So meat, fruit and veggies and that's it? No olive oil? No natural cheeses? No bread at all? Even whole grain breads? Not a lot of room for variety. :/

lmao no one is attacking you...we are just trying to explain our opinion on why we eat that way...you are the one saying that we are going to burn down stuff...lmao. any way eating clean can mean different things to different people just like moderation can mean different things just like low carb can mean different things...etc. MY personal way is the 10 way. I either eat fresh meat, veggies, fruits, cheeses and grains, or if i have to buy something that i cant get fresh it has to have 10 ingredients or less and i have to know what they all are. if i cant pronounce something or i don't know what it is/where it comes from well then i wont get it. it makes it pretty easy for me, and i feel better with it.

But what if you have a great vocabulary and can pronounce most words? That never worked for me as I learned how to pronounce the chemical names. I just feel like a horrible ugly fat person now who will never be good enough or beautiful. Apparently I must have lost almost 60 pounds from magic because I don't eat 100% clean. I thought I had this all figured out but apparently I don't. Please teach me oh wise ones for I'm a ****ing moron. :cry:

Wow hun you have issues.....I feel sorry for you....and it has NOTHING to do with eating clean...or dirty.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I could not have lost weight without the Dairy Queen mini Blizzard and Taco Bell fresco menu.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    that's quite some food diary. speechless.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    100% agree. I'm tired of the "YOU'RE NOT HEALTHY THOUGH IF YOU DON'T EAT COMPLETELY CLEAN FOODS!!!!!1!!1!"

Oh please. Not all of us care to live the healthiest lifestyle in the world. I always thought I had to give up pasta, pizza, sweets, chips, fast food in order to lose weight. But did I? No. And I am starting to lose weight. 5lbs away from a weight I haven't seen in ages! The difference is, I eat when I can eat in my day, but if it's too much, I don't eat it. I exercise. I move. I burn.

Sorry, but there ain't a single soul in the world that's going to convince me to only eat fruits and veggies my whole life. If that's the case, it's just not worth it.

Most of the other side of the argument in this post is to not eat fruits and veggies and that's it. Most of us are not saying that.

Treats are fine in moderation. Pizza can be healthy if made at home. Sweets are better if made at home (and not filled with preservatives and stuff made in a lab). There's ways to make junk food healthier believe it or not!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I could not have lost weight without the Dairy Queen mini Blizzard and Taco Bell fresco menu.

Exactly.

Portion control of treats you love.
  • babygreen11
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

and 80% of people have the common sense to moderate, but then there are 20% who think Dr. Oz is gospel. if the doc says you can't, then don't, other than that, common sense will prevail

80%???? If the percentage was that high do you think we would all be in the position we are of trying to lose weight?? lol For a lot of people its portion control that is the killer.
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    Thank you all for the lively debate.
    Gonna go to the gym now and then follow it off by a Big Mac meal from Mickie D's.

Why? Because this pregnant girl has a craving for it and I already planned it into my day!

No offense but I feel sorry for you. At least have a burger that is not factory farmed. Why not get a burger and fries from a small family owned restaurant? Or make it at home?

Agreed. Why McDonalds, when it takes 5 min to make a homemade burger, with 50% less calories and a bit of nutrition. Still fattening, but better then McDonalds. Personally, my stomach turns when I think about their food.. so processed and no nutrition from it at all.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

lmao no one is attacking you...we are just trying to explain our opinion on why we eat that way...you are the one saying that we are going to burn down stuff...lmao. any way eating clean can mean different things to different people just like moderation can mean different things just like low carb can mean different things...etc. MY personal way is the 10 way. I either eat fresh meat, veggies, fruits, cheeses and grains, or if i have to buy something that i cant get fresh it has to have 10 ingredients or less and i have to know what they all are. if i cant pronounce something or i don't know what it is/where it comes from well then i wont get it. it makes it pretty easy for me, and i feel better with it.

But what if you have a great vocabulary and can pronounce most words? That never worked for me as I learned how to pronounce the chemical names. I just feel like a horrible ugly fat person now who will never be good enough or beautiful. Apparently I must have lost almost 60 pounds from magic because I don't eat 100% clean. I thought I had this all figured out but apparently I don't. Please teach me oh wise ones for I'm a ****ing moron. :cry:

Wow hun you have issues.....I feel sorry for you....and it has NOTHING to do with eating clean...or dirty.

^^^ What she said!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Dunno why people are arguing though, because *most* of this thread I see a symposium of good points on both sides, and they don't necessarily conflict:
    -it's better not to eat processed foods very often
    -you can still eat junk and be skinny if you control calories but you won't be healthy
    -but you will be healthier than if you ate tons of junk every day and become obese
    -everyone has different idea of healthy foods, some foods that are healthy for one body aren't healthy for another
    (I consider steaks and white rice healthy but whole wheat bread unhealthy, because of how my own body handles the foods!)
    -you are what you eat. your body breaks down the lipid and polymers you eat and uses the parts to create you. if you eat chemicals it has to put those somewhere too.
    -sometimes you want a giant slice of cake, so you eat it. It won't make you fat if you don't make it a habit or consider it something your body needs to thrive (not just survive)

See, almost everyone is right! Yay!

edit: I can't spell worth a darn, yay for being a science major. x)

Grass fed organic beef (raised on a small family farm) has half the fat of factory farmed. So yes, of course steak is healthy. In my house we call this "happy meat"