For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far. I truly hope you reach your ultimate goal.

And when you reach your goal, you'll completely understand what it took to get there. But until you do, you might want to resist the urge to dole out too much advice for everyone else based on what you *think* will get you there from where you are now.

I honestly was defending myself more than giving advice but whatever. XD
  • ShadowChaser16
    Options
    I agree with everything the OP said. The ONLY thing that matters, the most purely fundamental thing is calories in/calories out. I think a lot of overweight people use the "I don't want to diet because I don't want to give up chocolate cake" excuse. You can still eat chocolate cake, just in moderation. As long as you have a deficit in calories, you are going to lose weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far. I truly hope you reach your ultimate goal.

And when you reach your goal, you'll completely understand what it took to get there. But until you do, you might want to resist the urge to dole out too much advice for everyone else based on what you *think* will get you there from where you are now.

I think what you've done already - more than halfway to your goal, right? - is pretty awesome, and as someone who has reached her goal, the only thing I changed as I neared it was adding more protein and lifting weights. The biggest thing I had to change was my expectations that I'd lose at the same rate as when I started and had more to lose.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Hey now...don't let minor facts like that detract from my otherwise awesome post. =P

But seriously, the good news is, as you make your way to your ultimate goal, if you ever find yourself not making the progress you want to make, this thread is packed full of advice that may be helpful, much of it from people who have actually been where you are now (and some from people who have actually been where you *will be* in the months ahead). Bookmark it...(or better, make a copy since contentious threads like this have a tendency to completely disappear).
  • Erisad
    Options

Hey now...don't let minor facts like that detract from my otherwise awesome post. =P

But seriously, the good news is, as you make your way to your ultimate goal, if you ever find yourself not making the progress you want to make, this thread is packed full of advice that may be helpful, much of it from people who have actually been where you are now (and some from people who have actually been where you *will be* in the months ahead). Bookmark it...(or better, make a copy since contentious threads like this have a tendency to completely disappear).

I love details, mmkaaaay? :P

I'll probably just do a search of the topics if I'm looking for specific anyway. I'll just remember this thread as the "dirty vs. clean thread." :laugh:
  • Erisad
    Options

I think what you've done already - more than halfway to your goal, right? - is pretty awesome, and as someone who has reached her goal, the only thing I changed as I neared it was adding more protein and lifting weights. The biggest thing I had to change was my expectations that I'd lose at the same rate as when I started and had more to lose.

Right! 56% of the way in fact. Although some miltary body fat % (fat2fit radio I think) calculator told me that my lean body mass is 160 so I may be done sooner than I think? I'll figure it out when I get there. >.>

I eat a lot of protein, I'm over MFP's protein limit pretty much every day.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You might want to resist the urge as well, or at least avoid the condescending tone you adopt in that post.

I completely stand behind the content of my posts in this thread *and* their tone...

...but thanks for the advice.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    No problem. I used to be a snotty know-it-all myself once, and I thought you could save yourself years of pain by taking the advice of someone who has been where you are now.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    No problem. I used to be a snotty know-it-all myself once, and I thought you could save yourself years of pain by taking the advice of someone who has been where you are now.

Based on your comment, I'd say you still have some work to do before you can claim that you're fully recovered.

That, and while I don't actually know you (and you don't know me), I am fairly certain that you have never been anywhere close to where I am now. But when my years of pain begin, I'll remember that you tried to save me.

Finally, you probably didn't notice, but while you were white-knighting, OP and I had a little dialogue and I think reached some resolution. Yay, internet dialogue.

(I look forward to your inevitable further words of wisdom.)
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what people mean by clean eating, but I'm all for science, and seeing the same things on my food packages that I work with in the lab scared me. Our bodies have not yet evolved to be able to handle vast amounts of preservatives. I like eating things that I can fully understand the ingredients of.

Examples: Chicken and rice? Chicken and rice. French fries? Oil and potatoes, not so good but still not evil. Bags of cheetohs? Delicious, but the long words and addition of non-food-items sends up a red flag. McDonalds Chicken nuggets? The USA recipe can not be called chicken legally in some countries.

I won't begrudge you a couple slices of delicious chocolate cake, or an entire watermelon, or a thousand calories of pasta if that's what you crave that day , but just remember what you put into your body is what your baby is being formed of, and I personally wouldn't want my baby formed of and being affected by in its crucial growth stages McDonalds who-knows-what ingredients. If it were me. But to each their own! There are better ways to get good food fast than fast food.

Also, be nice everyone! In your own world you're right but in someone else's world they're right, this is the concept of perspectives. Let it all go. Opinions and advice kindly stated is friendly but bashing is not.
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what people mean by clean eating, but I'm all for science, and seeing the same things on my food packages that I work with in the lab scared me. Our bodies have not yet evolved to be able to handle vast amounts of preservatives. I like eating things that I can fully understand the ingredients of.

Examples: Chicken and rice? Chicken and rice. French fries? Oil and potatoes, not so good but still not evil. Bags of cheetohs? Delicious, but the long words and addition of non-food-items sends up a red flag. McDonalds Chicken nuggets? The USA recipe can not be called chicken legally in some countries.

I won't begrudge you a couple slices of delicious chocolate cake, or an entire watermelon, or a thousand calories of pasta if that's what you crave that day , but just remember what you put into your body is what your baby is being formed of, and I personally wouldn't want my baby formed of and being affected by in its crucial growth stages McDonalds who-knows-what ingredients. If it were me. But to each their own! There are better ways to get good food fast than fast food.

Also, be nice everyone! In your own world you're right but in someone else's world they're right, this is the concept of perspectives. Let it all go. Opinions and advice kindly stated is friendly but bashing is not.

I totally agree with this and I am on a mission to totally weed out the majority of processed foods out of my family's diet. It is tough working full time and finding the time, but it'll be worth it in the long run. Food I have probably 75% non-processed. My own downfall is a serious artificial sweetener addiction- still not quite sure how to go about that one for coffee and tea.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    She's pregnant and eating crap food and so proud of it too. Be more responsible.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Wow the thread blew up and got slightly crazy overnight.

I do see a huge difference between people who just want to be 'thin' and people who want to be healthy. Are you so shallow that you seriously think looking good is better than being well?!

Also, people who think only junk food tastes 'good' grow up. You sound like a child rejecting brocoli because its green. I eat delicious healthy food every day. Dinner tonight is steak with roasted veg and possibly some homemade guacamole. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Last night was homemade turkey and vegetable curry with roasted squash. Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that a doughnut tastes better?
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    She's pregnant and eating crap food and so proud of it too. Be more responsible.
    Hah, IKR? The fact she's pregnant is what bugs me the most. Wouldn't you make an active effort to eat better/cleaner if you were pregnant instead of gloating about your, frankly, disgusting diet?
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    Wow the thread blew up and got slightly crazy overnight.

I do see a huge difference between people who just want to be 'thin' and people who want to be healthy. Are you so shallow that you seriously think looking good is better than being well?!

Also, people who think only junk food tastes 'good' grow up. You sound like a child rejecting brocoli because its green. I eat delicious healthy food every day. Dinner tonight is steak with roasted veg and possibly some homemade guacamole. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Last night was homemade turkey and vegetable curry with roasted squash. Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that a doughnut tastes better?

I always think junk food must be very addictive, otherwise why would anyone want to eat that s***, it can't be because of the taste surely? :sick:

but anyway each to their own, I'd choose healthy food anyday!
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hah, IKR? The fact she's pregnant is what bugs me the most. Wouldn't you make an active effort to eat better/cleaner if you were pregnant instead of gloating about your, frankly, disgusting diet?

People tend to think that once they become pregnant, it's okay to turn your body into a garbage disposal...
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    487156_10150945839176378_154133584_n.jpg

love this!!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I more or less live on pasta, so I feel ya', lol. I think I must have been Italian in a previous life because there's just no way I could live without pasta/pizza/garlic/oregano/mozzarella. I disagree with people who suggest that pasta/pizza is junk food. I think it can be very healthy. Making pizza yourself is *so* easy, and you can pack it with so many yummy veggies. As long as you don't go overboard on the cheese, I don't see anything wrong with it, and because you're making it, you can know exactly what's in it and how many calories, etc.

I've also been eating Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta. At 170 calories per serving, it's the lowest cal and most nutritionally dense pasta I could find. It's got a generous amount of vitamin D, calcium, folate, fiber and thiamin per serving.

You just can't use cream or meat sauces, those are what kill ya', lol. If you need some cheese, just use a single serving of mozzarella or parmesan. Marinara sauce is great for you and low calorie, but I've found bail pesto and sun dried tomato pesto to be wonderful as well. Pesto contains a lot of fat and is high calorie due to the olive oil. But olive oil is a monounsaturated fat, so it's not so bad, and pesto is so concentrated and flavorful that you only need a small amount. A tablespoon is usually fine for around three servings of pasta. (I usually eat 2 or 3 servings).

You can also add plenty of veggies to your pasta, like mushrooms, olives and onions. That way you can get a lot of nutrition/flavor/substance without being tempted to eat a whole box of pasta, lol.

I'm actually eating 112 grams of penne right now ( that's 1/3rd a box) with diced tomato, sun dried tomato pesto, basil and mozzarella. It's 436 calories of awesomeness, lol! And it's a large bowl of food ya know, I can't survive on Lean Cuisine sized portions!

I think it's all about making healthier versions of your favorite foods. I LOVE french fries, so instead of frying potatoes in all that oil like I used to, I just bake them with a little olive oil or butter, seasoned with dried herbs, garlic powder, salt and BAM. All pleasure, no guilt.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that a doughnut tastes better?

Maaaan, donuts are pretty darn good though, ya' gotta admit, lol.There's nothing like deep fried dough covered in sugar! Unfortunately, if you're trying to change your diet; donuts, cake and cookies don't fit in too well. Even if you eat just one damn cookie,( and who has the will power for that LOL) it's so many freakin' calories, it's not fair!

I used to love baking, but I try not to do it anymore because if I bake those cookies, no matter what I tell myself I end up smashing them!
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    And I thot this was a free world ...

What loads of crap going on here....

definitely not what you want to read when you open ana link for ideas.....idiots (some)