Options
12345679»

Replies

• whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this guys;

http://vickdogsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

These dogs were brutally killed and abused, forced to fight and visciously killed when they refused to fight by the scum that is Micheal Vick.

They were rescued, and instead of being put down, some amazing humans went through the journey of rehabilitating these dogs.

What they found is most of them were extremely frightened of humans. Cowering down and crouching in fear. Yet, they were labelled as the most 'dangerous dogs in America', simply because of the background they came from.

They rescued about 47 dogs. One died of injuries sustained by being kicked by one of the scum. One got hit by a car. And one had to be put down because she was viscious, due to being used as a breeding dog and subjected to constant rape and breeding. (this may need clarifying, it's been a while).

At least two of them are now therapy dogs and are living out their lives, happily, with people who love them and don't judge them for their breed. Thank DOG they were given a second chance.

More people are killed by cars and other humans than by pit bulls. More pit bulls are ABUSED and killed by humans than humans killed by pit bulls. Get some perspective.

I'll leave you with this gem :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8irL38JVc

I'd also suggest reading 'The Lost Dogs'. Very insightful and full of FACTS.

By the way, Lennox the dog was ripped away from his family home and killed just last week, due to ignorance surrounding this breed. He never done ANYTHING wrong, and was loved. They kept him locked up, the family weren't allowed to see him, for TWO years. His fur was falling out, he had sores all over his body and a wound on his neck. And they killed him. Don't add to the ignorance, please. Animals are LIVING BEINGS TOO.

Great posts, IFG. Thank you.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Go buy a small aerosol can of Raid Wasp & Hornet killer....Legal everywhere and shoots up to 25', my wife carries one in her purse for protection against dogs, muggers, small children....
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

These dogs were brutally killed and abused, forced to fight and visciously killed when they refused to fight by the scum that is Micheal Vick.

They were rescued, and instead of being put down, some amazing humans went through the journey of rehabilitating these dogs.

What they found is most of them were extremely frightened of humans. Cowering down and crouching in fear. Yet, they were labelled as the most 'dangerous dogs in America', simply because of the background they came from.

They rescued about 47 dogs. One died of injuries sustained by being kicked by one of the scum. One got hit by a car. And one had to be put down because she was viscious, due to being used as a breeding dog and subjected to constant rape and breeding. (this may need clarifying, it's been a while).

At least two of them are now therapy dogs and are living out their lives, happily, with people who love them and don't judge them for their breed. Thank DOG they were given a second chance.

More people are killed by cars and other humans than by pit bulls. More pit bulls are ABUSED and killed by humans than humans killed by pit bulls. Get some perspective.

By the way, Lennox the dog was ripped away from his family home and killed just last week, due to ignorance surrounding this breed. He never done ANYTHING wrong, and was loved. They kept him locked up, the family weren't allowed to see him, for TWO years. His fur was falling out, he had sores all over his body and a wound on his neck. And they killed him. Don't add to the ignorance, please. Animals are LIVING BEINGS TOO.

Great posts, IFG. Thank you.

Thank YOU :wink:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think pit bulls have gotten such a bad rap because of the fact that they're used as fighting dogs and because they just look mean. With that said, any dog can attack a person if the owner is a jack *kitten* and doesn't train the dog properly OR trains it to attack.

I've been scared of those little annoying yippy dogs who have come running at me barking up a storm and trying to bite me!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

dogs in general, not just pitbulls have a natural instinct to attack when they feel threatened, do not confuse this with a dog just having an instinct to attack because it feels like it. No breed of dog is naturally viscious, people breed them to be that way. Don't blame the dog, blame the owners. I have a Pit and he is the sweetest dog you will ever meet, he spends a lot of time around kids and the elderly (I work in a nursing home) and doesn't even so much as bark or growl at people or other dogs that we go by.

that being said, my dog is an inside dog and is never outside without a leash on, but he is very friendly to other dogs and people, we go on walks around our neighborhood almost every day.

p.s. your particular breed of ignorance should be banned.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

The Breed is not all bad and should not be judged on a whole by some inbred bad apples!! I have a friend who raises Pits and they would lick you to death before the bite, unless you were to physically threaten or harm them or their family! I agree there are ones who were never abused that just have issues this is usually due to MAJOR in breeding, which again is not the fault of the animal, but of the breeders! There are bad apples in the human race too, that we just don't understand why they are the way they are, should we as humans be banned too??

Sorry for the soap box, but it just gets my goat the way this breed is so often villianized and that half the time,a "Pit" is not even a pit bull. There are many breed mixes that look like pit that are not... OK... Off the box now!

Thank you
  • abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I live in TN, have a carry permit, and run with my gun in my pack. Yes loaded and hot. And no I don't worry about a darn thing when I go out. Ever.
  • Owlie45
    Options

Other than forced to fight, great.
    they are not forced to fight, its in their blood. Sorry but the sick owners just put them in the ring and let them do what comes natural to them.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Steel tipped boots and a good kick in the ribs will usually do the trick.

:) THIS
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    This is something I think about too. I think you should have a long handled fork (like for bbq- ing) And a knife. Fork is for warning poke and knife is for the most serious situation. I heard on the news of a man around here who stabbed a pitbull to death to make it stop attacking his dog.

I dropped my dog's leash yesterday and he charged a german shepherd. I was running after him and screaming his name but he did not hesitate at all. He weighs 5.8 pounds ! I lady stepped on his leash and tragedy was averted. ....damn little nutcase chihuahua !
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    Was the dog in his own territory by his house or just roaming around? some dogs are territory threatened. I know a FED EX gal that carries Milkbone bisquits with her and throws them to the animals that seem not too happy that she is in their territory or area.
    I agree that type of dog should not be allowed to roam or any dog for that matter .There are leash laws in most states. Most dogs give a warning before attacking did the dog just charge and attack you out of no where?
    I have little Shih tzues I walk them on a path where there are other people jogging, walking etc. Weirdly, he gets all defenseive and barks at people that are running or jogging by. He growls and pulls like he would bite them. Of course i tighten the leash and tell him to stop or warn him ahead of time when I see them comming. he will greet those who are walking up or behind us and be friendly, but don't let them run he doesn't like it for some reason.
    I never did like the bigger breeds as I feel I can't control them. Change your path if the dog seems to be in that area and yes turn the dog in if you find out who owns it. I had a neighbor who had a German Shepard who would used to run over to my yard when loose and try to attack my dogs. It happened 2 times. I told them if it happens one more time the dog will not return to their yard alive. My husband had to stop it once by hitting it directly in the chest. bout broke his hand ,but the dog backed off. Its called owner responsibility. so sorry this happened to you its really scary. You should at least get in contact with the owner and make sure it has its rabie shots for your own sake.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you got bit, I used to go running in the Subdivision next to ours, one of the houses has their dogs loose in their front yard, no fence not chained, just loose.

So when I come upon the house, the dogs see me jogging up, here I usually stop, start walking, then cross the street to the other side, Keeping an eye on both dogs, once I get a few houses down and they stay in their yard, I start running again. It is no big deal to me, I wish he would ahve them fenced or in his house, I am sure they are friendly, but if a stranger is runing in front of their house, they may become protective, that is a dogs job after all.

As a child we had a husky/collie mix he was a extremely friendly dog, loved the neighborhood kids and was very playful. One time my sister thought the mailman was cute, so she opened the front door to get the mail from him, well our dog thought the mailman was being agressive to my sister, and bamn ran through the door and bit the guy on the hand reaching out to my sister. That was the only time our dog was agressive to anyone, but he was doing his job protecting his family.

any dog can be agressive, you just have to be aware of your situation, I now go running a a local park instead of the neighborhoods.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I completely disagree. I have numerous friends and family who have had pit-bulls, rottweilers, German Shepherds, they've had them around kids, around people, and they are so friendly and loveable. My uncle has a Rottweiler, who is now old. Before her, he had another 2, and both of them grew to an old age and died of natural causes, without harming a fly in their entire lives

It is true that it's all in the hands of the owner. I have a labrador and I would never trust her. She growls at people she doesn't know and I wouldn't put it past her that she would bite someone if she felt under threat. She is a very nervous dog who was abused before we got her from the shelter. She is a labrador. So know that it's humans who bring out the bad in breeds. They weren't born with a switch in their brain, they were born with a completely clean brain and it's up to us what we put in there
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I'm sorry you got bit :( I would recommend a pepper spray maybe. You could call into your local petstore and ask in there for advice I am sure they could tell you what you need. Of course you have to protect yourself. You should also probably report this - it could be a child the next time and clearly the owner is irresponsible in more that one way, raising his dog to be viscious and also his dog being out alone

xxx
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I've been bitten by more kids then dogs maybe we should ban kids!

I was thinking that as well. My youngest brother was a biter up until he was 10 or 11. I've got a couple scars from where he bit me so badly I had to get stitches. I'm sure I tried to get my parents to put him down but for some reason, they wouldn't go for it.

When I'm riding my bicycle, once in awhile a dog will try chasing me. I can easily outsprint them and they always give lots of warning by barking long before they get close to me.
  • girlyathlete21
    girlyathlete21 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bear pepper spray its stronger or a tazer or golf club i mean I am a huge animal lover but if its trying to hurt me its gonna get hurt...
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

they are not forced to fight, its in their blood. Sorry but the sick owners just put them in the ring and let them do what comes natural to them.

Oh, really. So you've read the book, have you?

A few excerpts from the book (yes, I have it, and I am getting up right now to find the excerpts);

"Then there are the professionals. They have a full stable of dogs, thirty-five or more, which they raise for the specific purpose of fighting. They use elaborate training methods and equipment mixed with backwoods wisdom. They feed the dogs high-end food, supplements, and sometimes even steriods. When they get a winner, they breed it and sell the pups for high fees, hoping to establish known lines of fighting dogs that can fetch even more money.".

"Instead of facing them off across the pit, the men now place the dogs face-to-face and hold them there. The dogs bark and struggle, but the men keep forcing them together. Soon, the frustration and anger and proximity do their job and the dogs begin biting at each other"

"It should not be surprising that so many of them seem to have failed. One experienced law officer estimates that 80 percent of the dogs, even those raised in a professional fighting operation, won't even stratch. That is, they won't even cross the line and engage the other dog."

Doesn't sound like the dogs are 'doing what comes naturally to them'. More like they're being abused, manipulated and trained into doing what humans want.
  • Owlie45
    Options

A few excerpts from the book (yes, I have it, and I am getting up right now to find the excerpts);

"Then there are the professionals. They have a full stable of dogs, thirty-five or more, which they raise for the specific purpose of fighting. They use elaborate training methods and equipment mixed with backwoods wisdom. They feed the dogs high-end food, supplements, and sometimes even steriods. When they get a winner, they breed it and sell the pups for high fees, hoping to establish known lines of fighting dogs that can fetch even more money.".

"Instead of facing them off across the pit, the men now place the dogs face-to-face and hold them there. The dogs bark and struggle, but the men keep forcing them together. Soon, the frustration and anger and proximity do their job and the dogs begin biting at each other"

"It should not be surprising that so many of them seem to have failed. One experienced law officer estimates that 80 percent of the dogs, even those raised in a professional fighting operation, won't even stratch. That is, they won't even cross the line and engage the other dog."

Doesn't sound like the dogs are 'doing what comes naturally to them'. More like they're being abused, manipulated and trained into doing what humans want.

I don't need to read the book. American Pit Bull Terriers, were bred for animal aggression. The same way a border collie wants to herd or a lab wants to retrieve an APBT has the drive to kill animals.
    These dogs were simply allowed and encouraged.
    Yes those dogs suffered from the abuse they received but they fight because that's what their genes tell them to do.
    Like the bite and hold thing they do, which is why their bites are so much worse then other breeds, it comes natural to them. They are not trained like some folks think.
    No not all of them have the fight in them, just like herding dogs not all become good at it. *looking out the window* right there is a pit bull playing with an am bully, this dog has no aggression but I know many well loved pits that would rip apart another dog if given the chance, no training needed for them.

People that own them have to control the aggression. People with them often have to break up bad fights.

I don't need an author to tell me about the breed, I talk with real APBT owners who actually know what they are talking about.

People who fight dogs are truely disgusting.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

I don't need to read the book. American Pit Bull Terriers, were bred for animal aggression. The same way a border collie wants to herd or a lab wants to retrieve an APBT has the drive to kill animals.
    These dogs were simply allowed and encouraged.
    Yes those dogs suffered from the abuse they received but they fight because that's what their genes tell them to do.
    Like the bite and hold thing they do, which is why their bites are so much worse then other breeds, it comes natural to them. They are not trained like some folks think.
    No not all of them have the fight in them, just like herding dogs not all become good at it. *looking out the window* right there is a pit bull playing with an am bully, this dog has no aggression but I know many well loved pits that would rip apart another dog if given the chance, no training needed for them.

People that own them have to control the aggression. People with them often have to break up bad fights.

I don't need an author to tell me about the breed, I talk with real APBT owners who actually know what they are talking about.

People who fight dogs are truely disgusting.

For a start, I wasn't talking about APBTs in general, I was talking about the Vick dogs. You piped up and said they weren't forced to fight. The Lost Dogs is about them, and these are excerpt from the book, talking about them.

So, yes, they were forced to fight.

Secondly, there are many breeds of dog not bred to fight, but who are still fully capable of having bad fights.

They were bred to bull-bait. Then people turned it into a sport.

Not to mention, most dogs on the streets are mutts. Not pure bred Pits.

Lastly, they're terriers. Terriers hold on. It's not only unique to Pits. When the neighbours JRs killed our rabbit, they didn't let go either.

Anyway, I feel safe with my little Pibble ^_^ He lives with our cat and rabbit and is scared of them. No worries here.

Believe that it comes natural to them, fine. I'm fine in the knowledge that people mould them to do what they want them to do.
This discussion has been closed.