Grammar police! Your clothes get LOOSE when you LOSE weight.

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

grammar.jpg
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I blame publick ejuhkashun.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yay grammar police!!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Oh, goody, we haven't had a thread started on this in almost a week. I was starting to miss them.

While I agree with the sentiment, being a card-carrying grammar nazi myself, I've given up on things like "loose" versus "lose", "lightening" versus "lightning", etc. I'm more worried about the ones that cause ambiguity.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    what drives me insane is the way some english as from England spell. I could sit here all day corrcting their grammar, it just does my head in. Pity i don't get paid for corrrecting grammar mistakes. lol.

Trololol.
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options
    what drives me insane is the way some english as from England spell. I could sit here all day corrcting their grammar, it just does my head in. Pity i don't get paid for corrrecting grammar mistakes. lol.

I am shocked by your ignorance.

I do believe English is spelled with a capital "e" every time. It's not like earth, which can be "earth" if you're talking about the soil or "Earth" if you're talking about the planet. Additionally, "some english" doesn't express a complete thought. Does this mean the language? The people?

Second, before you criticize people for their grammar, the first person pronoun is "I" not "i" and sentences should begin with capital letters.

Third, where does the English language come from, if not from England?

You just rocked my world a little bit! :love:

I just love telling people that my bad grammar is because I speak English not American, since most of them haven't been there I can get away with so much :smile:

I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.Personally I don't give a toss if you spell it color or colour but if you think your in the right complaining about people from the country where the English language originates from then you get a giant face-palm.
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What scares me, is all the abbreviations that kids use to text today. They will not know how to spell anything.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    No one read Chaucer. Misspelling has been around since the beginning of the English language. :D

That said, as an English comp instructor, I circle "loose/loose," "its/it's," "your/you're," and "there/their/they're" on a daily basis. LOL...
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Trololol.

My thoughts exactly. If I got pulled on grammar or spelling by that poster I would give up coming on the internet.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    No one read Chaucer. Misspelling has been around since the beginning of the English language. :D

That said, as an English comp instructor, I circle "loose/loose," "its/it's," "your/you're," and "there/their/they're" on a daily basis. LOL...

And that "No one read Chaucer" was an imperative, therefore correct...
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options

When I was a kid my father pay me 5 cents for every grammar mistake I could find in the newspaper.... my mother for several reasons hated that he did that. BTW I grew up speaking Spanish.

Your dad is awesome!! :D

Okay, yes, it is annoying to read grammatical errors, and yes it is irritating to have to decipher what someone is trying to say, but seriously...not everyone can be perfect at everything. Those people who can't spell, don't understand the grammar rules, are too busy to worry about it, or just plain don't care have other God-given talents and gifts to fulfill their purpose in life. And having other people harp on them about their grammar and spelling isn't going to change the fact that God didn't put them on this earth to practice proper grammar. He has much bigger plans for them!

*hugs*
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.Personally I don't give a toss if you spell it color or colour but if you think your in the right complaining about people from the country where the English language originates from then you get a giant face-palm.

*high five*

... in the face ;)

loved the "giant face palm" - great post!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    memes-pimp-my-grammar-nazi.jpg
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    that is one of my biggest pet peeves people who do the grammar police deal. it really annoys me! of course in my neck of the woods we speak red neck.

You can speak redneck and still use proper grammar while typing. I am a fluent speaker of all things redneck as well.

This is exactly what I was thinking. A large part of the problem is that grammar rules are not drilled in most classrooms today like they were when I was growing up. My niece and nephews had never even heard of the "i before e" rule. "I before E, except after C, or when sounding like A, as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'." I try not to get too frustrated with people who habitually misuse the English language, as I know it is due, in large part, to not having been taught effectively in the first place. It's not always the teachers' fault, either. It's the education system here in the U.S. as a whole. It's fundamentally flawed, and I'm not convinced that continually throwing money at the problem is going to fix it. Of course, I'm no expert. This is just my opinion, based on my own personal experiences.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

When I was a kid my father pay me 5 cents for every grammar mistake I could find in the newspaper.... my mother for several reasons hated that he did that. BTW I grew up speaking Spanish.

"When I was a kid my father "pay" me 5 cents" WOULD pay me, or PAID me. You owe me a nickle.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A grammatical error here and there does not bother me. Spelling errors do not bother me. I understand we are all HUMAN and do not sit with an open dictionary when making a public reply on an internet forum. What DOES irk me though, is the use of internet lingo "b4" and "g2g" things like this. We speak English, not bingo.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

grammar.jpg

ROFL! Stealing <3
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

"When I was a kid my father "pay" me 5 cents" WOULD pay me, or PAYED me. You owe me a nickle.

*Paid

Give him back his nickle. And I want a nickle from you as well.
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options

I am shocked by your ignorance.

I do believe English is spelled with a capital "e" every time. It's not like earth, which can be "earth" if you're talking about the soil or "Earth" if you're talking about the planet. Additionally, "some english" doesn't express a complete thought. Does this mean the language? The people?

Second, before you criticize people for their grammar, the first person pronoun is "I" not "i" and sentences should begin with capital letters.

Third, where does the English language come from, if not from England?

You just rocked my world a little bit! :love:

I just love telling people that my bad grammar is because I speak English not American, since most of them haven't been there I can get away with so much :smile:

I too am English, as in from England and I second the above post. I couldn't have written it better myself!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    haha - great!
    It's always funny when people live such boring, dreary lives that they feel the need to snivel over grammar or word choice.
    Pathetic.....:laugh: :laugh: