Grammar police! Your clothes get LOOSE when you LOSE weight.

Options

Replies

• mmmfryingpan
    Options
    Hi 5 to anyone who actually checked over their post a few times before posting it just to avoid being called out on your spelling/grammar mistakes.

i r 2 smart
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    what drives me insane is the way some english as from England spell. I could sit here all day corrcting their grammar, it just does my head in. Pity i don't get paid for corrrecting grammar mistakes. lol.

I am shocked by your ignorance.

I do believe English is spelled with a capital "e" every time. It's not like earth, which can be "earth" if you're talking about the soil or "Earth" if you're talking about the planet. Additionally, "some english" doesn't express a complete thought. Does this mean the language? The people?

Second, before you criticize people for their grammar, the first person pronoun is "I" not "i" and sentences should begin with capital letters.

Third, where does the English language come from, if not from England?

You just rocked my world a little bit! :love:

I just love telling people that my bad grammar is because I speak English not American, since most of them haven't been there I can get away with so much :smile:

I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.Personally I don't give a toss if you spell it color or colour but if you think your in the right complaining about people from the country where the English language originates from then you get a giant face-palm.

This ^ ^ ^ ^
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    Hi 5 to anyone who actually checked over their post a few times before posting it just to avoid being called out on your spelling/grammar mistakes.

i r 2 smart

high-five! (and i still missed a typo lol)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    *Paid

Give him back his nickle. And I want a nickle from you as well.

* nickel

I want a quarter from each of you.

:laugh:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    This is MFP - my fitness pal

not

MGP - my grammar police

just sayin... :wink:
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I blame publick ejuhkashun.

Ironically, a lot of people blame public education, but when others (or teachers like me) try to correct the inaccuracies of others (and perhaps try to teach them something), they're told to lay off becuase nobody's perfect. If we lay off because nobody's perfect, is it really the fault of the education system or the fault of society for not holding people to higher standards?
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options

i r 2 smart

high-five! (and i still missed a typo lol)

I spent at least 5 minutes just checking it over to ensure I didn't get trolled haha.By the time I posted my topic was a few pages down!
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options

i r 2 smart

Every time I come back to this thread I re-check my post. Labeling myself as a graduate student, and especially of literature, and THEN to have a grammar mistake. Heaven, help me, that would be awful. Lol.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    What scares me, is all the abbreviations that kids use to text today. They will not know how to spell anything.

This is exactly how the English language will die. It began with improper use while speaking, which leads to improper use of grammar in the written word. The laziness in today's culture will eventually breed a generation who have never seen the original version of the language.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    +1 for originality, OP.
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options
    +1 for originality, OP.

OP hahaha - I didnt know what that stood for until I played league of legends.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Ironically, a lot of people blame public education, but when others (or teachers like me) try to correct the inaccuracies of others (and perhaps try to teach them something), they're told to lay off becuase nobody's perfect. If we lay off because nobody's perfect, is it really the fault of the education system or the fault of society for not holding people to higher standards?

typo... ;) "lay off becuase"

everyone does it, some do it because they don't know any better, some do it because of an epic autocorrect fail, some do it because their point is more important than their spelling.

I do QA for a living - typos drive me batty - but some still get through. :)
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Speak for yourself.

I am actually loosing weight.

By that I mean I am making the stored triglycerides in my fat cells looser by way of a calorie deficit created by way of a hypocaloric diet and exercise resulting in their release from adipose tissue and their transformation through lipolysis into free fatty acids and glycerol.

<<<<<< HTH

:laugh: lol excellent!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    You are not "loosing" weight. You are "losing" weight. "Loose" is how your clothes fit when you are successful in this endeavor.

I see this mistake about 100 times per day, and if I didn't get this off my chest now I was afraid that my head would explode :explode:

That is all! You may return to what you were doing :heart:

how many times have i posted this on my "wall" for my friends to see? they're not usually guilty of this, but i see it on the boards all the time. ARGH!

YOUR pants are LOOSE.
    YOU'RE LOSing weight.

boom.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.

I'm from the US. If you did your research, you would find that almost all the words we spell differently were purposely changed by Noah Webster in his desire to create an "American" language, distinct from the language of the former colonial power.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I understand. I have a Bachelor's in Professional Writing and it's so frustrating to see that over and over here. :/
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options

Just a joke, not a debate. You can see, I purposely misspelled the words "public" and "education" to be cute. I see, you did not find the cuteness in my little Twain-ism.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    delete.
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options
    I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.

I'm from the US. If you did your research, you would find that almost all the words we spell differently were purposely changed by Noah Webster in his desire to create an "American" language, distinct from the language of the former colonial power.

Look up how aluminium became aluminum - nuff said.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how the English language will die. It began with improper use while speaking, which leads to improper use of grammar in the written word. The laziness in today's culture will eventually breed a generation who have never seen the original version of the language.

The only languages that don't change are ones that no one speaks. The innovation of modern English is a sign of its vitality, not an early sign of its death.