Grammar police! Your clothes get LOOSE when you LOSE weight.

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    What scares me, is all the abbreviations that kids use to text today. They will not know how to spell anything.

This is exactly how the English language will die. It began with improper use while speaking, which leads to improper use of grammar in the written word. The laziness in today's culture will eventually breed a generation who have never seen the original version of the language.

Right. My cousins are horrible. Their school doesn't even teach spelling anymore. They just tell them to use spell check. It's not always right and you don't always have access to it. I worry that they won't even finish high school with the standardized testing being as strict as they are. >.<
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how the English language will die. It began with improper use while speaking, which leads to improper use of grammar in the written word. The laziness in today's culture will eventually breed a generation who have never seen the original version of the language.

The only languages that don't change are ones that no one speaks. The innovation of modern English is a sign of its vitality, not an early sign of its death.

Correct! Took a linguistics class, which is very interesting, though boring at times. The simple fact is languages tend to begin very complex and gradually become easier. Ever look at Middle English? It's readable and understandable (though guidance may help for some archaic terms or usage of words), but many words that they used then are still used today. The difference? They became easier to say and spell. The word 'knowynge' (pronounced k-NO-wing-guh) has dropped the k sound and the ending -e sound, and simply become 'knowing' the way we know it today. The spelling has changed as well, making it simpler.

While I, too, am annoyed by things like "R u redi 2 go?", it's actually a sign of our language evolving, which is a good thing, really.
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Okay, yes, it is annoying to read grammatical errors, and yes it is irritating to have to decipher what someone is trying to say, but seriously...not everyone can be perfect at everything. Those people who can't spell, don't understand the grammar rules, are too busy to worry about it, or just plain don't care have other God-given talents and gifts to fulfill their purpose in life. And having other people harp on them about their grammar and spelling isn't going to change the fact that God didn't put them on this earth to practice proper grammar. He has much bigger plans for them!

If I don't believe in God can I still harp on them?:tongue:

I guess, if you find it absolutely necessary! :flowerforyou:
  • Erisad
    Options
    Just because a language is evolving, doesn't mean it's evolving for the better. It's just showing that younger people are lazy. We're supposed to trust the future of the world to people who don't even want to take an extra two seconds to spell a word properly? Can you imagine taking a future president seriously if they released a statement like this, "IDK, dat tax r teh sux. Ttyl." *shudder*
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ... that younger people are lazy.....

Isn't that a criticism from every generation about the next?
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    I lose my clothes when I lose weight, sometimes the washing machine will eat a sock.

daily-cool-pictures10.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    what drives me insane is the way some english as from England spell. I could sit here all day corrcting their grammar, it just does my head in. Pity i don't get paid for corrrecting grammar mistakes. lol.

I am shocked by your ignorance.

I do believe English is spelled with a capital "e" every time. It's not like earth, which can be "earth" if you're talking about the soil or "Earth" if you're talking about the planet. Additionally, "some english" doesn't express a complete thought. Does this mean the language? The people?

Second, before you criticize people for their grammar, the first person pronoun is "I" not "i" and sentences should begin with capital letters.

Third, where does the English language come from, if not from England?

You just rocked my world a little bit! :love:

I just love telling people that my bad grammar is because I speak English not American, since most of them haven't been there I can get away with so much :smile:

I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.Personally I don't give a toss if you spell it color or colour but if you think your in the right complaining about people from the country where the English language originates from then you get a giant face-palm.

Actually, we American's spell things differently than "you" English folk, because it's a thumb at the nose to the English :wink: ... One of the first things a country does after declaring soveriegnty is create a dictionary. That's why Canadian's and I believe Australian's all spell things like the English do (of course with colloquial differences), but we don't.
  • Erisad
    Options
    ... that younger people are lazy.....

Isn't that a criticism from every generation about the next?

Right but it's only getting worse. How many generations will pass before people forgo writing all together? Ugh, you write? That's for old people and weirdos. I'm too busy downloading useless apps to waste my time with that. :explode:
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thoroughly enjoyin the poosts on this thred. :)
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just because a language is evolving, doesn't mean it's evolving for the better. It's just showing that younger people are lazy. We're supposed to trust the future of the world to people who don't even want to take an extra two seconds to spell a word properly? Can you imagine taking a future president seriously if they released a statement like this, "IDK, dat tax r teh sux. Ttyl." *shudder*

If it wasn't for the largely illiterate people who spoke English as an underground language, we would all be speaking French.

The masses dictate the direction the language goes in, you might despair at it but it will mean sod all 100 years from now wen its bin simpyfyd down to dis.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The scary part is that if enough people adopt the incorrect version, wouldn't it by default become the popular "correct" version over time? *shudder* :sad:

Like "nauseated" and "nauseous." I hate it when people say "I feel nauseous." No, you don't. You're nauseated. So many people misuse it, that it's considered correct to use either one, which makes me crazy.

Found the below on dictionary.com regarding "nauseous":
    The two literal senses of nauseous, “causing nausea” ( a nauseous smell ) and “affected with nausea” ( to feel nauseous ), appear in English at almost the same time in the early 17th century, and both senses are in standard use at the present time. Nauseous is more common than nauseated in the sense “affected with nausea,” despite recent objections by those who imagine the sense to be new. In the sense “causing nausea,” either literally or figuratively, nauseating has become more common than nauseous : a nauseating smell.

The kind of mis-use that you're speaking of is, very often, not as recent a phenomenon as some would believe. In this particular instance, the "incorrect" use of nauseous has been used since the 1600's. To me, that's more than enough time to consider it to be correct today.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    what drives me insane is the way some english as from England spell. I could sit here all day corrcting their grammar, it just does my head in. Pity i don't get paid for corrrecting grammar mistakes. lol.

I am shocked by your ignorance.

I do believe English is spelled with a capital "e" every time. It's not like earth, which can be "earth" if you're talking about the soil or "Earth" if you're talking about the planet. Additionally, "some english" doesn't express a complete thought. Does this mean the language? The people?

Second, before you criticize people for their grammar, the first person pronoun is "I" not "i" and sentences should begin with capital letters.

Third, where does the English language come from, if not from England?

You just rocked my world a little bit! :love:

I just love telling people that my bad grammar is because I speak English not American, since most of them haven't been there I can get away with so much :smile:

I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.Personally I don't give a toss if you spell it color or colour but if you think your in the right complaining about people from the country where the English language originates from then you get a giant face-palm.
    I agree with the face-palm comment.

[/quote]

Actually, we American's spell things differently than "you" English folk, because it's a thumb at the nose to the English :wink: ... One of the first things a country does after declaring soveriegnty is create a dictionary. That's why Canadian's and I believe Australian's all spell things like the English do (of course with colloquial differences), but we don't.

Regardless (and NEVER "irregardless"), we Americans (Canadians, Aussies, and Brits as well) still need to remember when to use capital letters when it comes to the first person singular and at the start of sentences. Apostrophes for showing possession as opposed to showing plurality, is another post entirely. :chuckle:

We've gotten pretty sloppy with grammar because technology has made us dumb and "spellcheck" is not always right. Any of the "autocorrect fail" websites will prove that to be the case.

Ok. I need to take my grammatical *kitten*-hat off and get back to work...
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Even a really old movie is a good excuse for having popcorn...
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options

When I was a kid my father pay me 5 cents for every grammar mistake I could find in the newspaper.... my mother for several reasons hated that he did that. BTW I grew up speaking Spanish.

"When I was a kid my father "pay" me 5 cents" WOULD pay me, or PAID me. You owe me a nickle.

We are even, nickel...
  • Erisad
    Options

If it wasn't for the largely illiterate people who spoke English as an underground language, we would all be speaking French.

The masses dictate the direction the language goes in, you might despair at it but it will mean sod all 100 years from now wen its bin simpyfyd down to dis.

And watch as the collective IQ of the country falls down as well. It'll soon be considered a mental illness to be able to speak and write properly. If my children and grandchildren speak like that, then I'll haunt them from the graaave. "Loose and lose aren't the same wooooord. OooOoooOOoooooo." :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    sighs............ again this thread?????

You only need 3 dots for an ellipsis.

:laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating because you have to read what the person wrote twice. The first time it doesn't make any sense because of the error. So then you realize they made an error, and you have to read it again. :sad:
  • muadeeb
    muadeeb Posts: 91
    Options
    What annoys me is with all the things that are wrong in the world, with all the pain, suffering, and starvation I have to get stopped by the grammar police because I was not grammatically correct in the use of a word...if you knew what I meant then shut the hell up and move on. Your stopping to correct my mistake will in no way shape or form better this world or this post. But i suppose if it empowers you that much then who am i to take away your righteousness.

I wonder if the economy and governments collapsed who would be better off..Ya’ll that can hunt or you all that can spell?