COFFEE LOVERS - Anyone given it up?

Options

Replies

• fattofit20
    fattofit20 Posts: 86
    Options
    My coffee is the one thing I can not, and will not give up. I have reduced the amount of suger and still use my full fat, full sugar french vanilla creamer. I'd rather not eat all day so I can drink my coffee. I'm an addict and as long as I have it I'm ok. People really wouldn't want to be around me if I didn't have my coffee. Kind of like a smoker that's quitting and is on "edge"? That's how I'd be without my coffee. This is a life style change, not a diet. I know I could not survive without my coffee and starbucks on occassion.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee with about 1/4 cup milk and two teaspoons of sugar. I didn't stop drinking coffee, I just simply drink it black now.
    Although I definitely did cut down on my intake. Went from 5 cups a day to 1 or 2. Tea is a lovely alternative.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Why give something up that helps you lose weight?!
    Best and cheapest supplement on the market.

Not very healthy? Haha.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Nope! I drink straight cuban espresso. I do try to "detox" from it every now and then in that I build up a high resistance to it so every now and then I'll go a few days without having any.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I've given up coffee and caffeine tablets, I've also cut down to only one cup of green tea per day. 2 years ago I think I was averaging about 400-500mg of caffeine per day, and whilst it cut my hunger - I think the toxin build-up gave me cellulite, which I'd never had before. I'm not definite about that though, I've never understood cellulite - it could be genetic, but I'd prefer to blame coffee. :tongue:

mindexploded.gif

What?!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I still drink my coffee. I have a couple cups in the morning and if I get hungry during the day I will have another cup and it curbs my appetite. Also keeps me regular. LOL
  • karlentwistle
    Options
    Just drink black with no sugar, no problem!
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I could NEVER give up my coffee. Drink it all day long. Fresh ground with skim/non-fat milk, no sugar or other flavors. I've become immune to caffeine I think. I can drink it before bed and sleep like a rock. When traveling I'll have a quad-latte (NF of course) and sleep like a baby on the plane (rethinking that, babies don't sleep on planes; at least not when they're behind me :) ).
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Im on for it

Just had my fourth cup at lunch, im sweating, jumpy and have a headache

From tomorrow, no more coffee for at least a week.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Why do you think you need to give up coffee? Are there good nutritional/health reasons, or is this part of the diet-deprivation mindset? If you drink double-caramel lattes with whipped cream, I would definitely look at ways to cut down on added sugars and fats, and learn to love real, unadulterated coffee - my personal preference is for a proper espresso. Otherwise, if you're drinking a couple of good-quality coffees a day, as well as plenty of other liquids, I'm struggling to think of reasons why it would need to go.

I just never used to drink it before and I wonder if it's something I actually need in my diet. However, you've made a pretty valid point with the things you say so I am considering switching to a better quality coffee and just ditching the Starbucks I drink (yes - totally guilty of indulging in these and the nutritional values for them are awful!)

If you make it at home and don't plan on using large amounts of sugar and maybe switch to a 1% or a skim milk for in it well then it is actually good for you. coffee just like red wine is good for your heart in moderation. About 1-3 cups per day. It improves your circulation. Don't give it up...just cut back and make your own...reserve Starbucks coffees for a treat once a month or so... that's what i do anyway ;)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!!!! It's only two cups. And there are health benefits to drinking coffee.:drinker:
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    are you kidding me???? no way......but i measure out my milk and sugar exactly and try to have only one or two cups a day.....only in the morning too.....the rest of the time i drink tea......still treat myself to a skinny vanilla latte at starbucks now and then tho.....;)
  • jstoneWI
    jstoneWI Posts: 8
    Options
    I have not cut it out. I drink anywhere from 4oz-32oz of coffee a day. Just depends on what I have going on, regardless I switch to water within 2 hours of getting to work. Coffee itself is not high in calories but its the creamer/sugar you have to watch out for. I only began drinking coffee at the first of the year and noticed nothing different about myself weight wise. Just how alert I was in the morning.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm seeing a Nutritionist and I was in fat storage mode for a while without realising it. Caffeine increases your appetite as it's a stimulant. I was advised to cut it out to then reintroduce it as a treat now and again. Based on that, I'd advise you to cut it down to 1 max a day if you have to have it, but if you could get rid of it, it'll help stabilise your blood sugar level. This takes around 2 weeks to do.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/364845-what-does-coffee-do-to-your-health/

For replacements, decaf tea, fruity herbal teas.......

Hope that helps! :)
    I love love love coffee but I know I should probably cut it out of my diet. I only drink 2 cups max per day, but would like to try cutting it out altogether. My questions to you are:

1. Have you had any benefits from cutting it out?
    2. Are there any good replacements?

Thanks guys xx
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I gave it up several months ago because I started having heart palpitations after my morning cup. I've always been a black coffee drinker so that wasn't an issue. But I feel so much better without caffeine in my life. I can get up in the morning without issues. I feel better during the day. My energy isn't dependent on anything except for the healthy foods I try to consume. And I don't crash every day at 3 o'clock anymore. Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a quitter.....:noway:
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I actually STARTED drinking it for my "diet". I add vanilla protein powder instead of creamer for a nutritional boost.
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee - ARE YOU CRAZY???

No I really don't see why anyone needs to give it up, if they enjoy it. I read posts all the time on here from people who still manage to get their favourite MacDonalds or pizza in once a week, or their chocolate or ice-cream fix in the evening. They work it out so they make room for it in their diet. If you love coffee that much you can do the same.

I like it black and no sugar - not because of calories, I have always loved it that way, and it is something like 2 cals per cup, but if I really loved a daily cappucino or whatever I would fit it in, but maybe limit to 1-2 per day? Good source of calcium I would think. :)
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Why give it up if you love it? Just stop pouring fat and sugar into it and enjoy the flavor of the coffee.

Good coffee needs nothing.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Heck no! But I did work my way down from taking it with "2 creams, 3 sugars" to standard, black, 5 calorie cups of coffee.