More office pet peeves....

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    for me, it's a BIGGER pet peeve if the person is out of the office and don't set the message, so you're continually trying to get an answer from them and you have no idea that they're gone and won't respond for a while....

I don't do that for safety reasons. It be annoying to my co-workers, but I don't want the whole world to know that I'm not home right now. Seems stupid, right?

The company I work for demands that you let everyone know when you are away. But, I disagree, I think personally, it's dangerous, not just for getting robbed, but it's also a little dangerous from a social engineering perspective. It's a bad policy and something that people shouldn't do. Instead, you just let a few people you work closely with know that you'll be out and that should suffice.

That's my $.02 on the topic.
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ...that the guy down the hall from me eats lunch at his desk... and I can hear him CRUNCH and SMACK his food all the way in my office...

...the guy that stands in my office steady digging in his nose... eeewwwwuh!!
  • superman149
    Options
    theres always that one guy who leaves the door open, and uses speaker phone for EVERYTHING!
    don't be that guy.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When people refuse to use the style and formatting features on MicroSoft Office!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    and followup to that - when they ask me, for the 100th time to teach them. When the 99th time didn't work you think they would stop asking me to waste my life teaching them what a second grader should be able to do!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Public nail clipper guy....none of us wants to hear you clipping your nails, go to the bathroom or better yet...do it at home!

there's a guy here that does that, ewww!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Public nail clipper guy....none of us wants to hear you clipping your nails, go to the bathroom or better yet...do it at home!

EW!!!!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Or when they list who to contact in their absence. I contact the back up...the back up doesn't know how to do what I need. So I'm stuck waiting for the original person to return from vacation anyway...

That's me - everyone in the office puts me as the person to contact and I can never help them!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    When they have that super loud laugh....like they want everyone in the building to know there laughing.... i dispise that!
    Me too especially that they're all seated next to each other in one cubicle that is located beside mine. I really hate it. Many times I feel like I'm in a market place rather than inside a corporate office GRRRRRRRRR :explode:
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with an out of the office message, but my co-workers don't know how to explain briefly why they are out of the office; therefore, my boss freaks out and thinks they are just skipping out and not on vacation.
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    Great topic!

My peeve is the woman in my office who spends about 10 minutes scraping every last drop out of a yoghurt pot.

I also seriously hate people who really hammer their keyboard when they type. There is no need to bash the space bar so hard that the whole building can hear you.
  • moultonh1
    moultonh1 Posts: 13
    Options
    ...that the guy down the hall from me eats lunch at his desk... and I can hear him CRUNCH and SMACK his food all the way in my office...

...the guy that stands in my office steady digging in his nose... eeewwwwuh!!

There is so that loud smacking girl in my office too! Makes me want to puke!
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The downward spiral of the person who "responds to all" on a company wide email...then the annoyed person who "responds to all" on that persons email spouting some tirade about not responding to all... etc etc etc
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    When people are standing at my desk talking to me and start reading and looking at the stuff on the desk. Then, some will even pick up a paper and say "Oh, what's this?' I'm a teacher so it's usually not anything major but it's soooo nosy and irritating.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When people don't do their jobs and expect me to do it for them.:mad:
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My co-workers. Let me introduce them to you.... "Gloom, "Doom" and "Despair". Two conspiracy theorists and one guy who is so depressed I want to slit his wrists for him.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I get buzzed over the intercom as the name of my location only. Hello, I DO have a name and am the only person in that's in there. BAH.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    The downward spiral of the person who "responds to all" on a company wide email...then the annoyed person who "responds to all" on that persons email spouting some tirade about not responding to all... etc etc etc

lol that's always fun! :laugh:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Or when they list who to contact in their absence. I contact the back up...the back up doesn't know how to do what I need. So I'm stuck waiting for the original person to return from vacation anyway...

Or worse, you get an out of office message from the back up. Who in turns says to contact the person that told you to contact them.
    YES! How do you not communicate with someone who is supposed to be covering your *** while you're gone?!

My biggest office pet peeve currently is people who are privileged enough to have actual offices acting like they don't have doors. It's lovely that you can sit there and type emails/surf the internet while you put a telecon on speakerphone-- close your freakin door! I have actually started to close others' doors for them. ha!

I also hate pretty much everything about the shared office kitchen. You have to leave your empty Splenda packets on top of the microwave every day instead of tossing them into the trash can you PASS on your way out? Really? I shudder to think what some of my coworkers' homes look like.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    In my last job, it was the guy who was the "one-upper". You know that person. You tell a story or some kind of anctedote and one-upper guy has to tell one ten times bigger than YOU!

Then there was the woman who would sit on her phone all day and make personal calls about this trip, that trip, her kids, her husband, that friend, this friend ... and then at 5pm go "Oh jeez, I have so much work to do." Huh.. wonder why?!

The food thing annoys me --- if it smells, keep it at home! No one wants to smell your leftover indian or fish products.

I used to piss this one older woman off all the time. She'd shut the door to our one closet, where the fridge and microwave were located, so when I'd go make something, I left the door open. She'd see it open from her cubical and would fly over and shut it. So I would hear it, get up and open it. One day she flipped her **** on me and I was like "Seriously, I can't hear the microwave buzz when you have the door shut. Maybe I need a hearing aide. Can you recommend a good place to go?" That stopped her in her tracks.