More office pet peeves....

Options

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Speaker phone cube 'mate'. I swear 90% of his calls, personal or business he makes on speaker phone. I don't really care to hear about his flex-spending account issues, his vet appointments, or the issues he's having with business contacts. I even got to listen to him talk to a governement rep about his brother's mental health status!

It would be a dream to have a door I can close. At least I have a window I look out and daydream from time to time!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    We have a woman that snorts and sniffles all day during allergy season. GET A TISSUE!!!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Getting stopped on my way to the bathroom - its bad enough I was just stuck on a 3 hour conference call. Now, you want to stop and ask me what I thought of the pictures you sent over while on vacation? Seriously??? I need to PEE!!!!

Honestly - it takes me a minimum of 20 minutes to go to the bathroom at work - I get stopped coming and going - and no one seems to care that I am dancing because I have to go so bad....
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine is the passive-aggressive office 'huffer'. No... not the kid in the mailroom that sniffs glue to stay awake for his third job of the day and make ends meet -- this person feels that you should read their mind because being psychic was one of the job requirments. They don't know what they want and are unable to successfully communicate what they want even when they might have a slight idea.... then, THEY HUFF **short silent inhale, then Huuuuuuuuuuuu** OMG! So, I didn't read your mind and now you're all frustrated.... whoop-te-freakin-doo, how about we discuss what you like and don't like and see if we can figure out where the miscommunication was? Could we do that, ever? No, because all this person knows is that it's wrong and the don't like it, but they are completely bumfuzzled as to how to tell you what or why or anything but being fuming mad over nothing and breathing heavy in a corner.

Christ on a cracker, take a chill pill and figure out your crap before you make me the fall guy!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm the only woman in the department, so all the men assume I'm their secretary. (I'm not a secretary). They call me when their printer needs paper or toner and when they need someone to run down to the mail room and post a letter. If I can put paper in my own printer, why can't they? And after years of working together, in the same department and going to constant meetings where we all talk about the projects we're working on - how do they not know that I'm not their secretary?? The most annoying guy brought his daughter to work and introduced me as "her job is to take care of us." WTF!
  • collinj8
    collinj8 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Or when they list who to contact in their absence. I contact the back up...the back up doesn't know how to do what I need. So I'm stuck waiting for the original person to return from vacation anyway...

Or worse, you get an out of office message from the back up. Who in turns says to contact the person that told you to contact them.
    YES! How do you not communicate with someone who is supposed to be covering your *** while you're gone?!

My biggest office pet peeve currently is people who are privileged enough to have actual offices acting like they don't have doors. It's lovely that you can sit there and type emails/surf the internet while you put a telecon on speakerphone-- close your freakin door! I have actually started to close others' doors for them. ha!

I also hate pretty much everything about the shared office kitchen. You have to leave your empty Splenda packets on top of the microwave every day instead of tossing them into the trash can you PASS on your way out? Really? I shudder to think what some of my coworkers' homes look like.

Yes the shared kitchen area. This is not your home. I am not your mommy or your daddy. Clean up after yourself.

I have been known to pick the trash up left behind from a person and collect. Then come in before them and leave it all over their desk with a note. "Forget something?"
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I also hate it when the boss interrupts my mfp-time to give me work to do.
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm on holidays and reading these responses has reinforced why I don't want to go back to work!!! I do have one to add though....

We have one bathroom for the ladies and one bathroom for the guys. Not the stall types, just one bathroom that opens into the main hallway and does not have a fan. I understand that sometimes 'when ya gotta go, ya gotta go' but give me a break!! Every day, twice a day? Poop at home!! and if you can't then stop drinking so much Tim Horton's coffee!!!!!! Wipe the *kitten* off the seat and buy some damn air freshener!

Ok, I feel better now :)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I didn't set my out of office when I went on vaca last month. Mainly because I couldn't figure out how. Stupid outlook 2007. I got to step 23 and said screw it. :noway:

Ha ha ha....I feel your pain!! :grumble:
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    I also get very irritated when I spend a whole week covering the workload for the girl who sits opposite me while she's on holiday, but when I'm on holiday, she doesn't do any of my work so I've got stack to do when I get back.

She's on holiday next week so I shall be far too busy to cover for her.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    The people who never seem to be happy with the temperature. "It's too hot" or "it's sooooo cold down here". This is nothing new! Dress appropriately for starters. I'm over it! :grumble:
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Or when they list who to contact in their absence. I contact the back up...the back up doesn't know how to do what I need. So I'm stuck waiting for the original person to return from vacation anyway...

...or when their back up is also on vacation. I swear, yesterday I went through a chain of 4 people who kept designating an alternate contact who was also on vacation.
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    The people who never seem to be happy with the temperature. "It's too hot" or "it's sooooo cold down here". This is nothing new! Dress appropriately for starters. I'm over it! :grumble:

Yes! This!!

If you're going to wear a jumper to work in July then don't be surprised that you're too hot. I have the air con controls for the whole room right next to my desk so I like to make them sweat before I turn the air con on.
  • jburks3606
    Options
    All of these are just too hilarious and makes me completely thankful that I don't work closely with people like this! :) Of course we aren't a perfect group, but most of the quirks I can just let roll off my back. I don't think I could stand half the things people posted and not sure I would last long! LOL
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Ms. Gossip McGee, Mr. Know-it-All, and Stinky McStinkerson....
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    the "crop duster" ..you know the one ?? that guy who farts walking by your cube
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    We have a woman that snorts and sniffles all day during allergy season. GET A TISSUE!!!
    I'd honestly MUCH rather listen to that than whoever has a cold hawking up phlegm every 12 seconds. That makes me want to barf.
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We have two guys that use speaker for every conference call that are on together. They are literally one cubicle away from each other. I don't understand why they don't meet in each other's cube. The two speaker phones are like stereo annoyance for those of us who sit close.

I have to rat myself out. I get sleepy at around 2:00, so I get a cup of ice water. And I crunch the ice. That's right. I crunch the ice. It's not really that annoying because I have only one cube-mate and she does it, too.

One person mentioned the 10 minute scraping-of-the-yogurt-cup. We have the scraping-of-the-styrofoam-oatmeal-cup guy.

I also laugh at the 'TV Topics' groups. It used to be a 'Grey's Anatomy' group. Now it's the 'Walking Dead' and 'Game of Thrones' groups.

None of these things really annoys me. It work in IT and these are just the quirks of my work family. It's actually kind of endearing.
  • collinj8
    collinj8 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ms. Gossip McGee, Mr. Know-it-All, and Stinky McStinkerson....

I think we work in the same office. LOL.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who likes to have conversations with people in the hallway right in front of the bathrooms. It blocks the hallways and the bathroom doors. It's so awkward and he does this like every single day. Why don't you move the 3 feet down the hallway to your office and have your conversation there, instead of blocking the hallway and everyone's access to the bathroom?

We also have a habitual food stealer from the fridge in our office too.