for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    SavvySteph- That's cool about hte winter races, I used to live close to Reading PA and they had a winter series, it was a 5k or 10k you could run. I saw that you were in Jersey, but that's probably too far for you just to do a 5k. But if you are interested, it's called Shiver by the River and you can find the info either on
    www.pagodapacers.com
    or
    www.pretzelcitysports.com

Pretzelcity might give you other info on races too. They may time closer to you. Dunno

JPrice- NICE!!! Good Job!!! Did you get to decide which pool you could use?? That's a great idea about the c25k. You could also go to www.runnersworld.com and get information from that website. You could also use their smartcoach. I use that alot!

Off to some breakfast and then a 6miler an 1 1/2 from now!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    ok, so I did my 6 miles....I felt great!!!! Those yucky repeats o nthe track helped so much! I did better this week with 6miles than I did last week with 5!:laugh: :laugh:

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    SavvySteph- That's cool about hte winter races, I used to live close to Reading PA and they had a winter series, it was a 5k or 10k you could run. I saw that you were in Jersey, but that's probably too far for you just to do a 5k. But if you are interested, it's called Shiver by the River and you can find the info either on
    www.pagodapacers.com
    or
    www.pretzelcitysports.com

Pretzelcity might give you other info on races too. They may time closer to you. Dunno

Thanks for the information! Reading is about an hour and twenty minutes away (I only live 30 minutes from Philly). I will keep an eye out. :smile:
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Oh! UPDATE! They just posted a winter running series in my town! Every Sunday from December 6th - February 21st! How cool! All 5K races too! I guess I found my new race! :happy:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    That's awesome Steph! What an incentive to keep running all winter long!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Thanks Nicole! It will definitely be an incentive. The series is a no frills (no t-shirts), so it is only $5 / race. They said they have prizes though, but at least at the beginning of the winter, I doubt I will win any. :laugh:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Day one of Week 6 today. It was disappointingly easy. LOL :laugh: Next week looks hard though. :sick: I might have to go down to the rail trail in town for the longer runs. What I wouldn't give to run on a flat surface for more than 30 seconds at a time.

I am not signed up for any races as yet, and I am sure that there aren't any near me in the coming months. I am just running to run at this point. There are some races next summer though, and I will definitely be signing up for a 5k. I can't wait!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Day one of Week 6 today. It was disappointingly easy. LOL :laugh: Next week looks hard though. :sick: I might have to go down to the rail trail in town for the longer runs. What I wouldn't give to run on a flat surface for more than 30 seconds at a time.

I am not signed up for any races as yet, and I am sure that there aren't any near me in the coming months. I am just running to run at this point. There are some races next summer though, and I will definitely be signing up for a 5k. I can't wait!

I did W6D1 too. It was easy, except I added a challenge by working on lengthening my stride. Uphill. :laugh: So, my HRM was screaming at me and I was panting like crazy. :laugh: Next week shouldn't be too bad. Especially since we will be able to run 25 minutes after D3 this week! :flowerforyou: We can do it! :happy:
  • tabbydog
    Options
    That's funny, I make myself do longer strides up hill too, because then you can take slightly slower ones and feel like you are pushing yourself up the hill. It is all freaking up hill! Both ways! LOL. Now I know how my poor horses feel when I push them to work harder! :tongue:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Did W8D1 this Morning. For me the hardest part of any week is the first 3 minutes of the first run. Once I'm passed that I'm usually fine. I noticed when I'm in the middle of a run I start to drag my feet, and I start looking down. So I've been focusing on keeping my head up, and making my stride count. Which I think will help with the speed.

Really once you get passed the interval part of the C25K you don't notice the difference as much. 28 minutes felt the same as 20. Of course the nice weather has helped. This was my 2nd run in a row in shorts and t-shirt.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Look how far you guys have come!!!! Think about when you first started the c25k...and where you are now...AWESOME!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

As for me...I did 2 easy miles today, I am using this as a recovery week.
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    well, my first 5k race was interesting - I started too far back in the pack and never got the right rythm going - I was unfamiliar with the course so I started my push waaaaaay to late - finished at 27:02 - could have been much better if i would have just trusted my training - oh well, live and learn

Next race is Polar Bear run for alternative "choices" schools - its a great cause - this time I am going to do the six week training program like I should and we will see what happens

Congrats to all the c25k'ers out there - you guys and gals are doing really great - going to try to get some distance increase now - i want to be runnning 5 miles by Thanksgiving.......

Having some knee issues - if anyone know about knee fixes please let me know - the pain was in the front of my knee and i have been wearing one of those band braces - now me kneed hurts on the inside top part.......maybe I'm getting old :noway:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Not sure about the knee issue Darman,,,I have had that before, but never knew the cause.

Congrats on the 5k!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    That's funny, I make myself do longer strides up hill too, because then you can take slightly slower ones and feel like you are pushing yourself up the hill. It is all freaking up hill! Both ways! LOL. Now I know how my poor horses feel when I push them to work harder! :tongue:

I hear you on the horses. haha. I know their pain uphill now. :laugh:

I just did W6D2! Finished with intervals in C25K! Next up is 25 minute run on Friday! :smile:

Congrats on the 5K Darman!
  • tabbydog
    Options
    W6D2 for me also. 25 Minutes either tomorrow or Friday morning.

Have I mentioned lately how much I HATE my alarm clock at 5:00am..... :mad: It was so hard to get up this morning, but so worth it when I am done.....
  • darman
    Options
    ok, so I did my 6 miles....I felt great!!!! Those yucky repeats o nthe track helped so much! I did better this week with 6miles than I did last week with 5!:laugh: :laugh:

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Can you tell me what plan you are on - looking for one to get my speed up for 5k and endurance up for 10k
  • darman
    Options
    Not sure about the knee issue Darman,,,I have had that before, but never knew the cause.

Congrats on the 5k!

Did it just go away? Hey btw what training plan are you using? Say where you were running some repeats on the track..........
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Darman-I actually use the smartcoach on www.runnersworld.com That has given me good times before. (meaning last year and the year before pre-injury) I sometimes vary from what they do though. I like to put hill repeats in and different repeats other than 800's on the track. I sometimes do 400's, 200's, 100's. Sometimes I do them as a ladder. 1x1600, 1x800, 2x400, 4x200,etc. I don't always do that many. AND......I am not doing that many right now. But smartcoach will give you times that you can do some of your repeats on.

As for the knee pain, it just went away after a little rest. Do you have alot of mileage on your shoes?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    W8D2 is done. I ran in the daylight for the first time in a long time. So I took my daytime rout, which is mostly dirt farm roads, some of it was so sandy actually welcomed the pavement when I came to it. But there were no hills to speak of, which I deal with when I run in town.

Once I get into a rythym I feel like I could run forever.

The run wasn't the hard part today. Once I got home and cleaned up, my family wanted to go on a walk when they got home, thats another mile. In the middle of that my daughter wanted a piggyback ride. Once we got home my son and I kicked a soccer ball around for a good half hour. I'm in the best shape I've been since my freshman year of college, but right now I'm feeling everybit of 50 lbs over weight.
  • tabbydog
    Options
    Wow iplay, sounds like you had a good cardio day! I have my first 25 minute run tomorrow. I was thinking of going to town to do it because there I can do it after work because there are more lights. I live on one of those farm roads, and it is downright scary at night with the traffic flying by in the dark. I have Zumba tonight, so I am thinking my legs will be tired in the am from that. What to do!?!? :tongue: