How are YOU beating the heat, runners?

Options

Replies

• allisonleigh11
    Options
    I usually got late evenings because its been getting up to 100 in PA at 4pm!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Running inside on my treadmill with a fan blowing on me. At 5am it was already 75° here. But tomorrow will be interesting-My running group meets at 6:15pm on the bluff and it's supposed to be 90° tomorrow.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4.30am and run out of the door by 5. :grumble: I hate summer.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, kudos to you for getting up early and getting it done. I end up running late and then it gets dark. But it isn't as hot. It's been 100 here for the last couple weeks too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Anyone else actually run in the heat? Instead of trying to avoid it??
    The guy that posted this topic about running in the heat does run in the Arizona heat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512826-running-tip-hot-weather-running?hl=running+hot

Great info there, lots of things to think about when running during the summer months. Personally, I hate running in the heat, and avoid it at all costs. I try to plan my runs for the coolest days of the week, and to be out the door by 6am if not sooner. I don't run in the dark, but it's light around 5:15-5:30 here, and the sun doesn't peak over the mountains until around 6am. I also bought one of those handheld water bottles with the strap that goes around your hand so you don't really have to hang onto it...works great, and there have been days I was really glad I had it!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    The article AmyRhubarb posted: He know what he's talking about. Cover up if running in the sun. I try to run early morning or late evening. It's still tough but better than being baked while running.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I go for my runs at 0500. It's still muggy, but not unbearable.

Yep, me too.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's really hot this summer in Raleigh. Ideally I should run in the AM but it seems on a workday this does not always work out for me. So, when I have to brace the heat I hydrate before, during and after my run. I pick a route that is mainly shady and I make an extra effort to listen to my body for signs of heat exhaustion (dizziness, blurred vision, abnormal rapid heartbeat, stop sweating). You really have to take this heat seriously and be extra careful. Also, I try to not be down on myself if I need to cut my run a bit short or slow down my pace due to the heat. I tend to avoid the treadmill because it is just not the same. I also take a look at what total mileage I want for the week and often 'make up' miles during the weekend when my schedule is less hectic if I have to.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am, up early, lot's of water. Evening works well too.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Early morning like 5-6ish still cool outside.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    By staying INDOORS! Haha! I'm not a runner but I had been going on four mile walks a few days a week with my neighbors or 5 mile bike rides...it's just too hot now! It's been in the 90s-100s here in New Jersey for a few weeks now! I did a 1 mile bike ride on flat land and was covered in sweat! Not right! Haha! So instead I've switched to aerobics, dancing, and workouts from Netflix and/or Comcast On Demand until we get a break in the heat!

Remember to stay hydrated and put on sunscreen everyone! If you have a treadmill or something similar, try running/walking on there instead for the time being :)

God Bless!

-Amber

www.GoodPersonTest.com
  • BrittSwimsJDRF
    BrittSwimsJDRF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Water water water! It's also a good time to vary up the training regimen, do hill repeats, intervals, fartleks, etc. We go after dinner, right before dusk, when it gets a little more windy here in Texas.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I run Mon, Wed, and Fri and usually try to start my runs no later than 6:30am. If I start any later than that, I will be about to pass out from heat exhaustion towards the end of my run. I live in Northeast Louisiana btw, so it is not only hot but it's also REALLY humid, which makes it even worse!
  • determined136
    Options
    I am in Salt Lake City, Utah and it has been hot and humid....we usually don't have the humid part. YUCK! I have been leaving the house at 9:00 pm and I run through any/all sprinklers that are watering lawns. It is great!!!:bigsmile:
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    <----vampire jogger.

This is only a problem Friday & Saturday nights, since my run route takes me through a pretty dense bar/club zone, and I end up having to dodge the drunken people weaving (and vomiting) all over. I consider it an obstacle course ;-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I also run in the mornings and I mostly keep my runs to 3 miles or less. There are no races in this area (southern Arizona) at this time of year because it's just too hot so I'm mostly just doing maintenance runs and not training for a half marathon until it cools down a bit.

The temperature will often not make it down below 80° here. I'll admit that there are times when I roll over, hit the alarm clock and then check the outdoor temp and humidity and decide to sleep in instead.

One trick that can help, if it's hot and dry, is to wet your shirt before starting the run and then again when it gets dry during the run. It's not pleasant to put on a cold, wet shirt but it sure helps to cool you down during the run!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning.

And I try to hit as many sprinklers as possible :)

^^^ this is what I do, too! Usually out the door by 0500. I think I know all of the nearby sprinkler schedules.

In general I'm more energized in the morning (once I get warmed up) and find it easier than running when it's warmer and after working all day.
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    I run around 8:30 or 9 at nite, thats when I have the most energy and its cool.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Much as I hate it, I've mostly been using the treadmill at the gym. Can't wait until fall when I can start running outside again.
  • hellosara08
    hellosara08 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    getting up reeeeaaalllly early. around 5 a.m. or else the humidity is going to drag me down. or if i miss my morning run, late at night, which isn't as fun. :ohwell: