Replies

• saraast
    saraast Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wake up before the sunshine :)
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Early, late or inside are the only options really. I tend to go early--7:30 or 8. It's really humid where I am so there's not much difference between 6am and 8am. I'm still soaked when I get done. But you can acclimate: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Summer-Runs-How-to-Acclimate-to-the-Heat.htm
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I bought a treadmill from a used sports equipment shop. If it's too hot or raining I go down to the basement (a/k/a the dungeon) for my runs/incline walks.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm running in it regardless. I have a 10:30am heat in this Sunday's Warrior Dash, I want to make sure my body is used to the temperature. At least then the only problem will be running up a frigging mountain.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning.

And I try to hit as many sprinklers as possible :)

Yep! I have also shortened my runs for the time being. Fortunately, I'm not training for anything ATM, so I have that luxury.
  • sarahmrimmer
    Options
    I run around 8:30 or 9 at nite, thats when I have the most energy and its cool.
    Me too... 85 is much 'cooler' than 100 before sunset! From time to time I run inside at the gym track. Night runs help me sleep well, also.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm in Boston and it has been extremely hot (over 90 for the past two weeks everyday) and usually around 80-85 the rest of the time. Basically, I have been running less days per week and making the runs I do (3X per week versus 5X) really count. I drink loads of water during the day or right before bed (and yes I have to pee every half hour), but you HAVE to do it.

My runs range from 3-10 miles and I usually run after 8pm or before 8am. I have been caught running after 9 or 10 am and it has been brutal and quite dangerous.

In sum, hydrate and run smart. Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I have been caught running after 9 or 10 am and it has been brutal and quite dangerous.

More dangerous than let's say...running Badwater?

http://www.badwater.com/
    Covering 135 miles (217km) non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney, CA in temperatures up to 130F (55c), it is the most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet.

Running in the heat is only dangerous if you haven't had an water to drink for a couple days or you are very young, elderly or ill.
  • pwmw1272
    pwmw1272 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning.

And I try to hit as many sprinklers as possible :)

I love the early morning sprinklers! I also get up and go early.....I hate getting up that early but it's the only time to do it and I know in the back of my head that I will feel awesome when I'm done!