What food do you believe to be THE superfood?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mine would be a combo food ( I realize that's cheating)- but Apple's and Peanut butter... pretty sure a person could live off it for a substantial amout of time before having any kind of vitamin deficiency.

Hmm, how much of that would you have to eat to get a days supply of calcium?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything is THE superfood, but I'd also go with beans because there is such a variety and they are so versatile.

Legumes are partially responsible for every modern disease, so I hope you reconsider

^^^ Doubtful

Truth, along with dairy and grains

If that's true, then why do we have longer life spans than ever?

Please provide proof, then maybe I won't doubt. Until then, I call bull$hit!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Brussels sprouts. It is nearly impossible to dislike them the way I make 'em.

How do you fix yours? I like to roast them with pieces of toasted garlic and sea salt. :drinker:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Tastes delicious and has enough calories to make people go "you lost 175 lbs eating THAT?"

Nature's perfect food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything is THE superfood, but I'd also go with beans because there is such a variety and they are so versatile.

Legumes are partially responsible for every modern disease, so I hope you reconsider

^^^ Doubtful

Modern medicine, duh
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I'd say my personal favourites are chia seeds, hemp hearts, quinoa, yam and spinach.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    spinach... LOVE LOVE LOVE!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts. It is nearly impossible to dislike them the way I make 'em.

Do tell. Can't stand em :/
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have no earthly clue. I just eat what the world wide web tells me is good for me.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    My superfood = variety + moderation. :smile:
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Eggs
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Jalepenos. Always put me in a good mood :smile:
  • drdebbiejo
    Options
    No such thing. The human body is remarkably complex and requires a balanced diet containing many vitamins, minerals and trace elements as well as appropriate amounts of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Superfood is a term coined by exploitative marketers to ensnare a vulnerable populace. That being said, some foods are far more complete and nutritionally superior - I think of quinoa as an example. It's all about a little research and some common sense. I do think a lot of our nutrition - or lack thereof - contributes to many chronic conditions and malignancies - things that may not kill you right off, but can sure make you live less well. Moderation when it comes to food is almost always the safest choice, just be more moderate with the less healthy foods and more generous with the healthy ones - I think variety and enjoyment are the best ways to stay on the healthy eating bandwagon. :-)

All that being said, I was glad to hear studies in the past few years stating that moderate (I repeat MODERATE) amounts of coffee, chocolate, and red wine are probably good for you - those are super foods in my book, if not "superfoods"!!! :-) Now I'm waiting for the study describing ice cream as the next big thing.
  • flyingwrite
    Options

^^^ Doubtful

Modern medicine, duh

Please. If I had relied on Modern Medicine, I'd be dead. Misdiagnosed at 21 and put on potent, life-altering medicine. 10 years later, the doctors realized they made a mistake. Good thing I stopped taking the medicine on my own or I'd be on dialysis right now instead of disease-free and perfectly healthy. Not to mention the last three times a doctor has prescribed an antibiotic that I was allergic to because he didn't take the time to read my chart.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

^^^ Doubtful

Modern medicine, duh

Please. If I had relied on Modern Medicine, I'd be dead. Misdiagnosed at 21 and put on potent, life-altering medicine. 10 years later, the doctors realized they made a mistake. Good thing I stopped taking the medicine on my own or I'd be on dialysis right now instead of disease-free and perfectly healthy. Not to mention the last three times a doctor has prescribed an antibiotic that I was allergic to because he didn't take the time to read my chart.

N=1 but I guess you're right, modern medicine has done zilch for increasing life expectancy.
  • flyingwrite
    Options

^^^ Doubtful

Modern medicine, duh

N=1 but I guess you're right, modern medicine has done zilch for increasing life expectancy.

The point is: it's not the be all and end all. It isn't the ONLY reason. And therefore grains and legumes aren't the ONLY reason there's sickness, if they contribute at all.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Mine would be a combo food ( I realize that's cheating)- but Apple's and Peanut butter... pretty sure a person could live off it for a substantial amout of time before having any kind of vitamin deficiency.

Hmm, how much of that would you have to eat to get a days supply of calcium?

Technically calcium is a mineral... lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^^ Doubtful

Modern medicine, duh

Sorry, that's not proof. I call bull$hit.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Chicken Titties