What food do you believe to be THE superfood?

Options

Replies

• Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Not really a food but I think green tea does no wrong.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Making a big pot of black beans now.

Last night we had a ton of garlic.

We're a fun family.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Cod
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Legumes are partially responsible for every modern disease, so I hope you reconsider

^^^ Doubtful

Truth, along with dairy and grains

If that's true, then why do we have longer life spans than ever?

Please provide proof, then maybe I won't doubt. Until then, I call bull$hit!

Modern medicine, duh

Sorry, that's not proof. I call bull$hit.

You don't find proof in a sentence ending in "duh"? :laugh:
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A superfood for me is a food that self regulates. In other words - eat this and I either:
    - will stay fuller longer.
    - can't seem to overeat it.

This week my superfoods are cinnamon almonds, dates, and spaghetti squash. :)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything is THE superfood, but I'd also go with beans because there is such a variety and they are so versatile.

Legumes are partially responsible for every modern disease, so I hope you reconsider

^^^ Doubtful

Huh? I would love to know if you had something with which to back that up. People in India have long lived off of primarily lentils, with a fair bit of rice and bread (and some paneer, right?) and have not had a high incidence of "modern" disease. Now that they are eating more meat in the cities, they are seeing increases in heart disease.

Also, modern medicine doesn't tend to increase life expectancy by extending the length of healthy lives. That's a misconception. Life expectancy is an average that includes infant deaths. Let's say you have 30% infant mortality and people mostly live to be about 70, life expectancy is 49 years. If you cut that infant mortality down to 10% without increasing anyone's life at the other end, you've raised life expectancy to 63.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    meat, meat is a superfood. humans are supposed to eat it. i would rather look like a lion than a cow.
  • tappae
    Options
    Oh, and sweet potatoes!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything is THE superfood, but I'd also go with beans because there is such a variety and they are so versatile.

^^^ Doubtful

Huh? I would love to know if you had something with which to back that up. People in India have long lived off of primarily lentils, with a fair bit of rice and bread (and some paneer, right?) and have not had a high incidence of "modern" disease. Now that they are eating more meat in the cities, they are seeing increases in heart disease.

Also, modern medicine doesn't tend to increase life expectancy by extending the length of healthy lives. That's a misconception. Life expectancy is an average that includes infant deaths. Let's say you have 30% infant mortality and people mostly live to be about 70, life expectancy is 49 years. If you cut that infant mortality down to 10% without increasing anyone's life at the other end, you've raised life expectancy to 63.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Breast milk.
  • tappae
    Options

Thanks! I'll give that a read later. I hope it explains how vegetarians in India have been able to live without "modern" diseases for so long.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    I.) Gogi berry
    2.) Spirulina
    3.) Wheatgrass
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You don't find proof in a sentence ending in "duh"? :laugh:

:laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A superfood for me is a food that self regulates. In other words - eat this and I either:
    - will stay fuller longer.
    - can't seem to overeat it.

This week my superfoods are cinnamon almonds, dates, and spaghetti squash. :)

That's a great way to look at it!
  • EllaKnows
    EllaKnows Posts: 19
    Options
    DRIED KALE, Bitter Melon & figs! :D
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Milk is absolutely MY superfood! YUMMM!
  • Cookie_Monster_69
    Options
    EGGS!!!!
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    Pomegranates! Fun to eat and sooo good for you.
  • mzcruise
    mzcruise Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Broccoli because I love it. :heart:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

^^^ Doubtful

If that's true, then why do we have longer life spans than ever?

Please provide proof, then maybe I won't doubt. Until then, I call bull$hit!

Modern medicine, duh

Please. If I had relied on Modern Medicine, I'd be dead. Misdiagnosed at 21 and put on potent, life-altering medicine. 10 years later, the doctors realized they made a mistake. Good thing I stopped taking the medicine on my own or I'd be on dialysis right now instead of disease-free and perfectly healthy. Not to mention the last three times a doctor has prescribed an antibiotic that I was allergic to because he didn't take the time to read my chart.

N=1 but I guess you're right, modern medicine has done zilch for increasing life expectancy.

loolololol

trollfaceimagenesifotos1_thumb.gif