Parents of teenage girls

Options
Ariana_75
Ariana_75 Posts: 224
Do you let your 13 year old go to the mall with her girlfriend by themselves? Am I being too paranoid saying no over and over again??

Replies

• SheepDogBuck
    Options
    I'm a Cop so I'm always a little apprehensive on that. Is she walking there or being dropped off?
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    No. No. Good mommy.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Let her go raise a little hell................ha ha! Says the guy who does not have a teenage daughter.
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    I would not let them go alone, but my daughter is 16 and I still have a hard time with her being away. I think I am just a worry wart.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Depends on the maturity of the teenager in question. Only you know her maturity level.

Personally, if she was respectful, mature and took the initiative to cook, & clean at home I would let her go.

If you are still picking up after her, nagging her to do chores, then no. I wouldn't let her go.
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Former 13-year old (Sorry, I know you asked for parents but I'm offering my mom's answer): She took me to the mall, and I got to hang out with whatever friend (or SO which it seems you're asking about), and she would do some shopping herself, or go see a movie.
  • ProudMomToTwo
    ProudMomToTwo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No
    Stick to your guns mama - and trust your gut.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have let me daughter go if there is a parent going with them, they might not necessarily hang with the parent at the mall but at least they are getting there and home safe.
  • jenklive
    jenklive Posts: 10
    Options
    I have a 13 year old. No way I'm letting her go to the mall without an adult. I might let her go to other stores with a friend, but with frequent check-ins.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a 13 yr old and there is no way that I would let her go to the mall without an adult. Stand your ground she'll thank you later.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I have a 13 yr old daughter and if we lived other places than we do I wouldn´t allow her to go buy herself with a friend. I would possible be ok with allowing her to walk around if I would go to the mall with them and stay around the mall until they are ready to go home.
    I´m so lucky to live in Iceland and here my girls take the bus where ever and they are save and I know I don´t have to worry.
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do not do it. I have two daughters that have never been mall rats and lived.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My mom would never let us do that. Someone older (sibling, parent) would always have to go with us. But there were compromises - like let them go off on their own but set up a meeting place and time.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on where you live. Some areas are scarier than others. You could always go with and just let her wander with her friends and just check in with you occasionally if you are really worried about it, that way she gets a trial run at the freedom of the mall without a parent.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I admit to not being a mother- but my mom did not allow that- we could go with her and go our separate ways but ALWAYS check in periodically...as an adult I'm super grateful for that no matter how much I whined as a teenager. These days you just can't be too careful.
  • mrflash222
    mrflash222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn't let my daughter go anywhere without parental supervision. Sometime it was drop her off at the mall with her friends and I would tell her that I was going to be there shopping and where and when we should meet up. That way she had a little space, but knew that I could always be right around the corner. Admittedly, I probably keep the reins a little tight, but i see too many bad things happen and too many bad choices every day I'm on shift.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    no way, I might take them to the mall and let them go in a store by themselves and meet me outside or in a nearby store but no way she goes by herself. She also knows not to go anywhere with anyone she doesn't know or put herself in any type of situation where she could be at risk. Maybe I'm conservative but better safe than sorry. My daughter is 13 and I don't see this changing any time soon.
  • nicolev112
    nicolev112 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. There are too many crazies out there.
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If it's in a group, then yes. By herself with a boy, then no. And, she is 16 now. Started letting her hang out in groups without Mommy since she was 14. The worrying never stops, though :wink:
  • Oooberstank
    Options
    I think not in my opinion. If I had a daughter I wouldn't let her go until she had her drivers license. I just think I would make a protective father.