Parents of teenage girls

Options

Replies

• Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad I'm not alone on this! I'm gonna print this out and show it to her so she knows that it's not just me being paranoid!!! =)
  • ambarr82
    ambarr82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a parent of two girls. They are 10 and 13. I may be considered over protective but people are crazy. I don't allow them to wonder the mall alone. My oldest is very mature for her age and the way older guys look at her scares the crap out of me.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i don't. i'm even funny about the movies.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Yes I have let her hang out at the mall with her friends. They usually see a movie, get something from the food court, clothes shop and then come home. Group of like 4 girl, a few hours worth of time.

For those that don't are you afraid of something happening to them?
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Depends on the 13-year-old, the friend and the mall.

I would have been dropped off and picked up from the mall with a friend or two when I was that age and never got into trouble.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The mall I grew up going to (Mall of America) required parental supervision if you were under 16 and they would card you walking in! I think 13 is too young to be at a place like that for a long period of time, but my mom would take me & my friends and we'd do our own shopping or boy watching or whatever and check in every hour or so so she knew that we were ok. I turned out alright.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a 13 year old who is mature for her age, but I don't just take her to the mall and drop her and a friend off. If they want to go I take them and then hang out at the mall too. Just don't hang out with them. We always have a set meeting place and time. She also has a cell phone so we keep in contact that way too.
  • biffdaddy
    biffdaddy Posts: 17
    Options
    Not just no, but hell freaking no!!!!! I have 2 14 year old girls that act like all they want to do is "get with a guy" even though I am 100% percent certain they have no idea what they think they want to get into. They say that is what all of the girls at school are doing and I told them those girls are probably full of bravado and BS. At least I hope so. They wont be out of my sight much at all.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do.... I take them to the mall and following a few stores behind where she's never out of sight. She's aware of it and is safe, but she still has her freedom and looks "cool."
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I dont have a teenage daughter yet, but when I was 13, I was allowed to go to the mall with friends.

Maybe you could go to the mall too, but not walk around with them.
  • melissa10666
    Options
    Yes. There's no good mollycoddling your kids because when they HAVE to go somewhere on their own, they'll struggle with it. I think 13 years is a reasonable age for letting you daughter go to the mall and gain some independence.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Wow, times have changed. I was dropped off at the mall with my friends when I was 10. I don't think there are any more crazy people now than there were back then...unless you count parents. I'd say if you trust her to stay where she is supposed to be and she is with friends then let her go have some fun. Let's loosen the apron strings just a tad.

Yes, I am a mother of a daughter.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Do you let your 13 year old go to the mall with her girlfriend by themselves? Am I being too paranoid saying no over and over again??

Oh man, I went with my girlfriends all the time in middle school!
  • jgardner38
    jgardner38 Posts: 70
    Options
    No!!! I would not let my son go or my daughter...there just to much risk involved. It's not just that someone might take them but no parents means they think they can get away with stuff they know is wrong.
  • maggie2731
    maggie2731 Posts: 51
    Options
    my daughter is 19 now. but she was not allowed to go to the mall with her friends untill she drove herself. and at 16 when she got her driver lincence i didn't buy her a car right away. so she started going with her friends around 17. and even now when she goes she texts me when she gets there and when she leaves. and now at 19 she is thankfull that i said no when i did.

My son is 13. and same goes for him. He is ok with it.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Not being allowed to do things like going to the mall (really? is it REALLY that big of a deal) could make your kid just get teased and stuff ... made fun of ... that kind of thing.
    Strict parents here, I don't see why, 13 year olds are fine if you pick them up, drop them off, that kind of thing.
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any more crazy people now than there were back then...unless you count parents.

Amen. TV has fried our ability to perceive real danger.

Yes, I was allowed to hang out at the mall (and walk around town) with a friend when I was 13.

And yes, I let her go to the mall and the movies and ride the bus with friends. She's 13. The only rule I ask is that she be home when I expect her to be home, and not leave me hanging wondering where she is. Cellphones make that job a lot easier now.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Wow, times have changed. I was dropped off at the mall with my friends when I was 10. I don't think there are any more crazy people now than there were back then...unless you count parents. I'd say if you trust her to stay where she is supposed to be and she is with friends then let her go have some fun. Let's loosen the apron strings just a tad.

Yes, I am a mother of a daughter.

I had three daughters. I NEVER dropped them off at the mall at 10 years old without supervision. I was always around. It was never a problem. I trusted them all, but I wasn't going to gamble on the rest of the world. There are a lot of crazies out there. There was never a problem with my being around.

I took them to their games, practices, recitals. I was even the chauffeer and chef for my youngest's senior prom.
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We have the Mall of America here which is a monstrosity. Amusement park, etc. My daughter (12) always goes with friends and I or another parent goes in and does our own thing while they are there. This usually involves sitting in the coffee shop on my ipad. She keeps in touch via text and lets me know when they want to leave.

Not quite ready to drop and go yet. That said, she'd be MORTIFIED if I followed them around.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Let them be kids or they will rebel & know that no matter what you do, if they want to get in some trouble bad enough they will...keeping them locked up is only going to make it worse.