Shooting @ Batman Movie Premeire

Options

Replies

• hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    My thoughts at this time are with the victims, what can you say to easy their pain god be with them all.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    double posted
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    guns seldom protect people.

Really?

Yeah, I can think of at least a half dozen situations in the last year in my area alone where citizens who carried a CWP were able to save lives because they were carrying a weapon in the right place at the right time. I am 100% against gun control. That being said, I don't think someone carrying a weapon would've helped in this particular situation. In fact, I'm of the opinion that it would more likely have made it worse. Think about it, the theatre is dark, there are people everywhere running and screaming in a panic. It would have been difficult for a trained law enforcement officer or military personnel to get off a shot at the suspect without inadvertantly hitting an innocent civillian, much less an average citizen with minimal weapons training and probably little to no training on how to stay calm in a crisis situation. I'm pretty sure that our Sherriff here in Spartanburg County, SC, Chuck Wright, would even agree with this. And he went on record telling Spartanburg County residents that it was a good idea to arm themselves because the police, hard as they may try, cannot be everywhere at once.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Really?

Yeah, I can think of at least a half dozen situations in the last year in my area alone where citizens who carried a CWP were able to save lives because they were carrying a weapon in the right place at the right time. I am 100% against gun control. That being said, I don't think someone carrying a weapon would've helped in this particular situation. In fact, I'm of the opinion that it would more likely have made it worse. Think about it, the theatre is dark, there are people everywhere running and screaming in a panic. It would have been difficult for a trained law enforcement officer or <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">military</a> personnel to get off a shot at the suspect without inadvertantly hitting an innocent civillian, much less an average citizen with minimal weapons training and probably little to no training on how to stay calm in a crisis situation. I'm pretty sure that our Sherriff here in Spartanburg County, SC, Chuck Wright, would even agree with this. And he went on record telling Spartanburg County residents that it was a good idea to arm themselves because the police, hard as they may try, cannot be everywhere at once.

i should clarify...people should leave it to the professionals. but that is just my opinion!
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Really?

Yeah, I can think of at least a half dozen situations in the last year in my area alone where citizens who carried a CWP were able to save lives because they were carrying a weapon in the right place at the right time. I am 100% against gun control. That being said, I don't think someone carrying a weapon would've helped in this particular situation. In fact, I'm of the opinion that it would more likely have made it worse. Think about it, the theatre is dark, there are people everywhere running and screaming in a panic. It would have been difficult for a trained law enforcement officer or <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">military</a> personnel to get off a shot at the suspect without inadvertantly hitting an innocent civillian, much less an average citizen with minimal weapons training and probably little to no training on how to stay calm in a crisis situation. I'm pretty sure that our Sherriff here in Spartanburg County, SC, Chuck Wright, would even agree with this. And he went on record telling Spartanburg County residents that it was a good idea to arm themselves because the police, hard as they may try, cannot be everywhere at once.

i should clarify...people should leave it to the professionals. but that is just my opinion!
    Unfortunately 99.9% of the time the victem is already the victem by the time the police arrive. Just because you make guns illegal doesnt make it any harder for bad people to get them. Just look at illegal drugs, its still easier for kids to buy them right in front of their schools than it is for them to buy alcohol. Anybody that thinks any different is a complete moron! Armed citizens prevent crime or atleast keep themselves from becomming another statisic.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I don't care what side of the gun agenda you're on. This is not the time to push it. There is something fundamentally sick about taking someone's tragedy and turning it into a talking point for politics within the very week that it has happened.

I agree.

^ This! It makes me sick how people are doing this.. ugh.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    They can make gun laws as tight as they want. That will NOT stop bad people from getting guns. If they want them, they will always have a way to find them. All restricting gun laws does is make it harder for us good citizens who could protect our selves and others more difficult for us to do that exact thing.

guns seldom protect people. and i never once said it stops "bad" people from getting guns. but it does prevent, or makes it much more difficult, for someone like this batman shooter to acquire as much weaponry as he did. i honestly doubt someone like this would be able to acquire the weaponry he did here in canada. we have a lot of gang violence, but no one comes out firing the rounds that were fired at this event. it is such a tragedy.

You don't think that someone who truly wants to do harm with a gun can't get weapons no matter what?

Go ahead and tighten up the gun laws and you will have more illegal gun sales and guns landing in the wrong hands. It's a shame when someone like this whack job goes and does something as horrific like this because once again everything is turned around to gun control and making the laws tighter and making it more difficult for people to obtain pistols. Go ahead and tighten up those laws or ban guns all together. Remember a little thing called "Prohibition"? People found other means of obtaining and making alcohol even though it was prohibited. Do you honestly believe that people won't find a way to get or manufacture guns if they're banned?

I am a gun owner. I have my pistol permit and I wish that I could carry my weapon every where but the sad fact is that I can't. If just one or two people in that theater were packing heat they probably could have taken that guy down and the damage caused would have been a lot less worse.
    I don't care what side of the gun agenda you're on. This is not the time to push it. There is something fundamentally sick about taking someone's tragedy and turning it into a talking point for politics within the very week that it has happened.

Facts are facts. No matter how tragic the situation was people will always bring it around to the "guns need to be banned because they're bad" issue because guess what? That's exactly what all the politician and anti-gun people are thinking and talking about right now any way.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    'I am a gun owner. I have my pistol permit and I wish that I could carry my weapon every where but the sad fact is that I can't. If just one or two people in that theater were packing heat they probably could have taken that guy down and the damage caused would have been a lot less worse. '

The above statement tells you all you need to know about what 'gun ownership rights ' do to a society.
    The shooter in the cinema released a gas canister prior to opening fire. Thank god other people did not have guns or in the confusion and panic there would have been bullets flying all over the place and MORE people would have died.
  • foxyforce
    Options

Really?

Unfortunately 99.9% of the time the victem is already the victem by the time the police arrive. Just because you make guns illegal doesnt make it any harder for bad people to get them. Just look at illegal drugs, its still easier for kids to buy them right in front of their schools than it is for them to buy alcohol. Anybody that thinks any different is a complete moron! Armed citizens prevent crime or atleast keep themselves from becomming another statisic.

calling me a moron doesn't exactly solve anything. and at least i think anti-gun people are offering an alternative and trying to be solution focused instead of just saying "no, knives kill people too!", that isn't the point. the point is that when crazy people do crazy things and you make it harder for them to do it, it is done with less throttle than this *kitten* used. don't call me a moron, for the love of god do you insult everyone you don't agree with. gah.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

& what do you do when it takes minutes for the professionals to get there?
  • foxyforce
    Options
    They can make gun laws as tight as they want. That will NOT stop bad people from getting guns. If they want them, they will always have a way to find them. All restricting gun laws does is make it harder for us good citizens who could protect our selves and others more difficult for us to do that exact thing.

guns seldom protect people. and i never once said it stops "bad" people from getting guns. but it does prevent, or makes it much more difficult, for someone like this batman shooter to acquire as much weaponry as he did. i honestly doubt someone like this would be able to acquire the weaponry he did here in canada. we have a lot of gang violence, but no one comes out firing the rounds that were fired at this event. it is such a tragedy.

You don't think that someone who truly wants to do harm with a gun can't get weapons no matter what?

Go ahead and tighten up the gun laws and you will have more illegal gun sales and guns landing in the wrong hands. It's a shame when someone like this whack job goes and does something as horrific like this because once again everything is turned around to gun control and making the laws tighter and making it more difficult for people to obtain pistols. Go ahead and tighten up those laws or ban guns all together. Remember a little thing called "Prohibition"? People found other means of obtaining and making alcohol even though it was prohibited. Do you honestly believe that people won't find a way to get or manufacture guns if they're banned?

I am a gun owner. I have my pistol permit and I wish that I could carry my weapon every where but the sad fact is that I can't. If just one or two people in that theater were packing heat they probably could have taken that guy down and the damage caused would have been a lot less worse.

Facts are facts. No matter how tragic the situation was people will always bring it around to the "guns need to be banned because they're bad" issue because guess what? That's exactly what all the politician and anti-gun people are thinking and talking about right now any way.

no, i'm pretty sure they are thinking of "oh my goodness, how can we prevent this from happening ever again", but all you people want to do is defend your guns. share your ideas on prevention, you are MORE THAN WELCOME TO!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Why are people not outraged by this:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/texas-truck-wreck/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

More people dead than Aurora, but you dont see the politicians bathing in illegal immigrant blood to push their agenda. You dont see politicians calling for ban's on large capacity trucks ect. Nope, doesnt fit their agenda.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    And while we are at it. Lets just ban the constitution. That is just a POS document anyways.
  • foxyforce
    Options

not have like 50 people shot around me...because they wouldn't have had as many rounds of ammo here in canada, or the guns that he had, etc.

bad things happen, i get it. you guys think that just because people say we need gun control that we believe there aren't holes. there are holes in everything.

what would YOU suggest to prevent crazy people like this guy shooting every unsuspecting person in a theatre in the fashion he did?
  • fiveohmike
    Options

not have like 50 people shot around me...because they wouldn't have had as many rounds of ammo here in canada, or the guns that he had, etc.

bad things happen, i get it. you guys think that just because people say we need gun control that we believe there aren't holes. there are holes in everything.

what would YOU suggest to prevent crazy people like this guy shooting every unsuspecting person in a theatre in the fashion he did?

The only way you can prevent this is to take away EVERY single liberty and freedom away for the entire nation. Then you impose a military or police state based on surveillance, tracking, manipulation and control of the general population so that every move is tracked and analysed and things like this can *possibly* be prevented.

Also, how do you stop the same crazy person from flipping his lid, and driving his car at high speed through a crowd outside the theatre?
  • foxyforce
    Options

The only way you can prevent this is to take away EVERY single liberty and freedom away for the entire nation. Then you impose a military or police state based on surveillance, tracking, manipulation and control of the general population so that every move is tracked and analysed and things like this can *possibly* be prevented.

Also, how do you stop the same crazy person from flipping his lid, and driving his car at high speed through a crowd outside the theatre?

you put more funding into community and mental health programming. that's how.

and i am against police state's, i am, i hate governance. but if we have any at all, i want this. just my opinion.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

You can't
    You honestly can't.
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

Really?

calling me a moron doesn't exactly solve anything. and at least i think anti-gun people are offering an alternative and trying to be solution focused instead of just saying "no, knives kill people too!", that isn't the point. the point is that when crazy people do crazy things and you make it harder for them to do it, it is done with less throttle than this *kitten* used. don't call me a moron, for the love of god do you insult everyone you don't agree with. gah.
    When you try to infringe upon my rights as an american citizen and do so by talking about something that you have no clue about makes you a moron!! I live in PA. and in Philadelphia your idiot anti gun wackos got their way and made buying, possessing and carrying concealled hand guns illegal, but guess what, the only people who obey those laws are law biding citizens, shootings have increased since those laws wer passed and they are being done using """ Saturday Night Specials""" illegal guns that you can buy on any street corner in Philly. So your idiotic solution has been tried and failed and Philly is still one of the top 5 most violent places in the United States. So please next time when you try to tread on me please have a freaking clue about what you are talking about. Let honest Americans protect themselves and their families and enjoy their god given rights as an american citizen.
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

These people must live in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and must have never witnessed an act of violence to see how long the professionals take to arrive at the scene ( not their fault) to put up the yellow tape and power wash the blood off the street and sidewalk., then hopefully catch the lowlife that did it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    This is undoubtedly sad.

The question we would ask in England is how did he get kevlar helmet, kevlar vest, assault rifle, and a hand gun - but our attitude to guns is very different

Came here to write this, from Canada, it shouldn't be a shock to a lot of people this happened. When someone can buy these things and have them in their house, it's bound to happen! Just takes one crazy guy, this had nothing to do with the actual movie...

I would be willing to bet you my house against a 5 dollar bill that the guns were not obtained legally. People always bring up gun laws like they actually help prevent these issues. Criminals will have/get guns if they are legal or not. Cocaine has been illegal for years and coke heads still get their hands on plenty of it.

Yep, wrong. He legally owned all the guns and all the ammo. God bless America. Every weapon he used is illegal in Canada. Just saying.

And also this.

When was the last time something like this happened in London or England?

Yeah, I won't hold my breath.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1414855/England-has-worst-crime-rate-in-world.html

Can you remind me when we last had someone come into a school or movie theatre and shoot everyone up?

Can you remind me if this happens just about every year?

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html

This one says the US has the highest crime rate. So which one is it?