Curly hair isn't sexy?

Options

Replies

• kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Pfffttt! Screw what people think! My naturally curly hair was the bane of my existence from childhood through my 20's. Once I hit th 30's, I realized I had to stop trying to make my hair conform to the the newest trend/fad and instead choose what worked with my hair type and what looked good on me. So I embraced the "bigness" of my hair, scrunch up all of those crazy curlies and waves, and my husband adores it. It's not what "guys" think, it's what that one guy who loves all of you thinks. And if he loves all of you, he loves your curls.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I call BS.

Google image, in 2.2 seconds I found literally HUNDREDS of stunningly sexy women with messy curly hair.

I have many incredibly sexy friends on MFP (not just by my judgment...but by the commentary of all the drooling men that fawn over their pages), with curly hair.

Now, that's not to say you may not 'feel' sexy...but that's internal. Blaming your hair for it...nope...not buying it!

Funny, that. Because when I search on Google, I find plenty of people with CURLED hair, not curly hair.

No. I didn't say I didn't feel sexy because of my hair. I said I felt curly hair isn't viewed as sexy.

I never said people say I'm not sexy because of my hair, rather I get told my straight hair makes me look sexy more than I am told my curly hair makes me sexy.

And there is the distinction. You see a difference between 'curled' and 'curly' hair...99.99% of men, don't. Most of us couldn't tell the difference regardless, unless it's an obvious thing.

And I didn't say you didn't feel sexy. I said you 'may not'. You as in general, may as in possibly.

I also didn't say people said you're not sexy because of your hair. But something stemmed this honestly silly post (yes, it's right up there with 'Curvy women aren't sexy?').

You asked a question, I stated that the validity of the question is nonexistent. Curly hair IS sexy...just as sexy as the woman who has it. Same for straight hair, long hair, short hair, and even no hair (takes a seriously beautiful woman to pull THAT one off).

*shrug*
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I do have curly hair and I absolutely would LOVE it if I knew how to do it.
    Your curls are absolutely gorgeous and honestly, if I could do my hair like that, I'd wear it down every day.

Straightening hair just tends to be damaging and I'm tired of damaging my hair.

Thanks hun. Look, if you need any advice/tips, feel free to ask. I used to be so upset over my damaged, dry, frizzy hair, looking at childhood photos and lamenting that my curls would never look the same again.

Now, it's easy for me. No special styling products, no leave ins. I just look after it well, and it does the work for me.

Don't hesitate if you need any help.

And, YES, the straightener is damaging, look what it done to my hair :sad:

391443_4374851809877_551185305_n.jpg.

So. No flat ironing for me. At least until 2013. I can do banding if I want a straighter look.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I wish I had curly hair. My under layer is curly but my top layers are only wavyish :P
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Sorry, I call BS.

Google image, in 2.2 seconds I found literally HUNDREDS of stunningly sexy women with messy curly hair.

I have many incredibly sexy friends on MFP (not just by my judgment...but by the commentary of all the drooling men that fawn over their pages), with curly hair.

Now, that's not to say you may not 'feel' sexy...but that's internal. Blaming your hair for it...nope...not buying it!

Funny, that. Because when I search on Google, I find plenty of people with CURLED hair, not curly hair.

No. I didn't say I didn't feel sexy because of my hair. I said I felt curly hair isn't viewed as sexy.

I never said people say I'm not sexy because of my hair, rather I get told my straight hair makes me look sexy more than I am told my curly hair makes me sexy.

And there is the distinction. You see a difference between 'curled' and 'curly' hair...99.99% of men, don't. Most of us couldn't tell the difference regardless, unless it's an obvious thing.

And I didn't say you didn't feel sexy. I said you 'may not'. You as in general, may as in possibly.

I also didn't say people said you're not sexy because of your hair. But something stemmed this honestly silly post (yes, it's right up there with 'Curvy women aren't sexy?')...and to be honest, I'm starting to see exactly what that is now.

You asked a question, I stated that the validity of the question is nonexistent. Curly hair IS sexy...just as sexy as the woman who has it. Same for straight hair, long hair, short hair, and even no hair (takes a seriously beautiful woman to pull THAT one off).

So? Whether or not guys can tell the difference between CURLED hair, and CURLY hair, it still doesn't represent us. I don't feel any sort of connection with most of the ladies on there, because it's not real curls.

If you feel this post is silly, fine. Click off it.

But as a woman, a woman with curly hair, I am expressing my feelings. If my feelings are silly to you, that's not my problem, love. I'm sure some other people with curly hair understand how I feel.
  • Anon4678
    Anon4678 Posts: 37
    Options
    It took me forever, but I love my curly hair now. I usually get a lot of compliments on it. I've had people want to just see what it looks like straightened, but probably for the novelty effect. I'm sorry that you're hearing negative things; I think your hair is lovely. :flowerforyou:
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Married a woman wth crazy curly hair and love it. She has asked me if I ever want her to switch it up and straighten it and I say hell no.

One a seperate note, it always bugged my wife that in the movie "The Princess Diaries" that the main character girl is a nerd with curly hair and when they turn her into a princess and make her beautiful they straighten her hair. Curly = dork. Striaght = Princess. Always bugged the *kitten* out of my wife.

Now I have to go shoot a gun or shotgun a beer or get in a bar fight to regain my manliness after I just referenced The Princess Diaries in a forum post.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I rock my curls. I LOVE my hair and so does everyone else. I don't know who has been telling you that straight is better? Straight hair is pretty, wavy hair is pretty and curly hair is pretty. It all depends on the person. For me, I love the curly haired ladies but then again I'm probably a bit partial :).

I straighten my hair two or three times a year and enjoy it while it lasts but I stick to what's natural for my hair and a TON less work and that's wild, unruly curls.

Oh, it's not that anyone consciously tells me straight is better, it's just the messages from society. The little subtle things other people/straight haired people may not notice.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I've always found curly hair super sexy myself. :wink:

Darren-Criss-darren-criss-20005661-437-350.jpg
    latest-men-hair-medium-curly-hair-330x484.jpg
    adrian-grenier-with-curly-hairstyles.jpg
    franco.jpg
    curly01.jpg
    Mark-Ruffalo-photo-2011-spirit-awards.jpg
    52376.jpg

I also got a perm a few years ago because I wanted curly hair so much. I had to get it all cut out in the end because it screwed up my hair, but I still use rollers all the time to curl it. Curly is better then straight any day!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Hmmm that's a good question. I think curls can be incredibly sexy. I've had friends perm their straight hair to look like yours, so obviously I'm not alone!

Some compliments from your friends might be because they aren't used to seeing you with straight hair. If I curl my hair tightly, I get compliments too and get told I should do it like that more often. I think it's the novelty aspect.

Not sure why random people in public would treat you different though. That's weird.

I agree. I have naturally wavy hair, and I let it hang loose when I'm lazy, but when I do something different (Pin it up a certain way, curl it, crimp it) I get compliments as well saying to do it more often. It's just how people see you everyday and then how you change your look a bit and how it changes everything because they're not used to it.
    I saw your photos and you look stunning with curly hair!
    Tip: Don't change for anyone else, whatever makes you feel more comfortable than go at it!

Thank you <3

That is true, though. It is a completely different look. Come to think of it, I get comments when I change my hairstyle too. Especially as I used to just wear my hair down in the same way every single day. Now I experiment a bit more.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Curly/wavy hair is FAR more attractive than straight hair in my eyes.

Well, that's not something I hear often.

It always makes my heart skip a beat when a guy prefers/really likes curly hair. Thanks for that ;)
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Curls can be VERY sexy. You have AWESOME hair. Fantastically gorgeous, highly energetic and super sexy hair. I would punch a puppy to have hair like yours. I have limp, straight hair that has no personality to it whatsoever. You have fab hair, and let no one tell you otherwise.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Sorry, I call BS.

I also didn't say people said you're not sexy because of your hair. But something stemmed this honestly silly post (yes, it's right up there with 'Curvy women aren't sexy?')...and to be honest, I'm starting to see exactly what that is now.

So? Whether or not guys can tell the difference between CURLED hair, and CURLY hair, it still doesn't represent us. I don't feel any sort of connection with most of the ladies on there, because it's not real curls.

If you feel this post is silly, fine. Click off it.

But as a woman, a woman with curly hair, I am expressing my feelings. If my feelings are silly to you, that's not my problem, love. I'm sure some other people with curly hair understand how I feel.

Your post was interesting enough to reply to...so I did. The topic...well yeah, silly.

And trust me, as a guy with stupidly curly hair (yes, more curly even than yours)...I relate, completely. On men...your point is actually semi valid...but only in extremes (women seem to like large, lazy curls on men, not tight small curls). There's a reason I keep mine shaved close...it's more attractive on me. On women, curly hair is gorgeous...if the woman wearing it is gorgeous. As long as a persons hair suits them, it's not going to break their attractiveness, though it can certainly make them more attractive.

I also never denied you your right to express your feelings. Instead, I told you that those feelings were inaccurate in regards to reality. They may not be inaccurate as far as your personal experience goes...but I can promise you...a good portion of the population doesn't feel the same way you do. Almost every woman I know who sees my daughters hair immediately says 'I WISH I HAD YOUR CURLS!!!', to which my daughter immediately replies...'No, no...you don't.' I happen to agree with her lol, but not because of how they look on her...more because of what a ***** it is to deal with them.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Whatttttt curly hair IS sexy. Mine doesnt always curl right, but hell, messy hair is sexy too.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Sexy is all a matter of opinion. I have pin straight hair that many women have told me they would kill for, but I don't like it. I feel most confident when my hair is in loose, bouncy curls. I get compliments either way, but I feel my best when it's curled. So you should say, "Screw it!" and do what YOU want to do with your hair because it's not the hair that is sexy, but the confidence you get from it.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I've always found curly hair super sexy myself. :wink:

Darren-Criss-darren-criss-20005661-437-350.jpg
    latest-men-hair-medium-curly-hair-330x484.jpg
    adrian-grenier-with-curly-hairstyles.jpg
    franco.jpg
    curly01.jpg
    Mark-Ruffalo-photo-2011-spirit-awards.jpg
    52376.jpg

I also got a perm a few years ago because I wanted curly hair so much. I had to get it all cut out in the end because it screwed up my hair, but I still use rollers all the time to curl it. Curly is better then straight any day!

This post proves my point about men with curls by the way lol....!
  • MSrhi13
    MSrhi13 Posts: 7
    Options
    I love my curls, and so does my fiance! I never flat-iron my hair... it doesn't look good, and feels like hay! I wouldn't change it for the world!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't feel like myself with straight hair. I had a relaxer most of my life and finally was "allowed" to let my curls grow again. I LOVE my curls. I love your curls. I love my close friend's curls, which are always all over the place. I love my man's curls that always flop over his forehead. I think is all in HOW the curls are presented. For example, curly hair in high pigtails looks really young and girlish. Let down in your face however...I think that's a look that's sexy with any hair type. Also, curly hair does a lot that straight hair doesn't. All my friendss with straight hair wish they had curly hair...go figure.

Also, anyone who thinks your curls aren't sexy OBVIOUSLY hasn't seen your curls correctly. Hair envy to the max. :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Whatttttt curly hair IS sexy. Mine doesnt always curl right, but hell, messy hair is sexy too.

^^^^^

This girl was one of my examples from my friends list. Crazy curly hair...and drop dead gorgeous when she keeps it that way (or when she straightens it...or when she cuts it all off...you get the idea).
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My mom has curly hair and straightens it, she thinks it looks better straight. Personally I think it looks better curly. My daughter is biracial and has naturally spiral curled hair. I love her curls and everyone always says how much they love them also. Women even say they wish they had her curls. Dont listen to what others say, do what makes you happy. You rock your curls girl!!!!!!