Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Curly hair isn't sexy?

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Right now straight is in style, so it is perceived as the most attractive. In the sixties when I was in Jr. high and high school, straight was all the thing, and I felt horrible about my curls, but my mother told me she had felt that way about her straight hair when she was growing up. I think style matters little to the guys who we are supposedly trying to impress (but we are probably trying to impress each other, really).

I learned to love my curls, and now I get lots of compliments on my hair (although my daughters tease me that people are so startled by it that they have to say something, so they give me a compliment, lol). My curly gray hair is my trademark, and when I write a note I sign it with a happy face with curls. My husband loves my hair -- the wilder, the better.

Your curls are gorgeous :) love that you don't dye your hair either.
  • rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    my GF has natural, very curly hair...and yes I do prefer it. Love it !!
  • Natural, curly hair is the best. I personally love the way it looks and feels. Getting my girl to believe that is a challenge though LOL
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    i think people with straight hair wish they had curls and people with curls want straight hair, its like that with lots of things, can't just be happy with what we've got. my hair is straight with a slight touch of wave, but super fine and i wish for curls sometimes, but i also like the low maintenance of my hair, so i dunno
  • Love your curls...I would die to have them....they are sexy and beautiful!!! I like my hair better when its curled....I have a small wave to it...but would love to have a full set of natural curls :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I like my curls/waves when they decide to behave...it's the frizz i can't stand :(

Same here. I can understand why no one thinks my hair is sexy when it's being a frizzball. But when I do manage to tame it I am content with my curls. Although straight hair would be easier and being naturally lazy, I would have preferred to have been born with straight hair.

As far as what other people think, I couldn't care less if some people don't like my curls, straightening damages my hair, and it breaks and splits too easily as it is.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    We always want what we don't have! I think curly hair is beautiful :), really, it comes down to what you're most comfortable with. Sometimes people do a drastic change with their hair and it really does wonders for them, but I've often seen people go back to what nature intended for them. Have to keep in mind what you're willing to pay to maintain a certain look as well - my mother has very very curly hair (me on the other hand, have always had bone straight hair), she gets it chemically straightened about every other month (for her the straightening process lasts that long, but it varies with individuals). It looks great on her, but I know it can add up quick!
  • I have a curly mess of hair....it's like curly AND wavy. I love being able to just pin my bangs back and let it curl up. Straightening takes forever, and my hair gets tangled really easily when it's straight.

Curly power!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    I find the same... however... we do have the best of both worlds as there are plenty of products and straigteners to help straighten hair but to curl them and get the curls to stay not so many...

However... i straighten my hair when im trying to look glam... even for a running event... i also think it makes my face look thinner when its straight!
  • What does the appearance of your hair have to do with staying in shape and losing weight?
  • Curly hair is HOT. My last two girlfriends had curly hair <3
  • What does the appearance of your hair have to do with staying in shape and losing weight?

It's the chit chat section.... Do you get vertigo up on that high horse?
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Curly hair is sexy.

No you should not straighten yours! Your hair is a gift from what I can see on your pictures so don't give it up if it's something you love.

Being yourself is what is sexy, I love little Japanese girls with bobs and fringes (short cut and bangs) because their hair is so straight - my children would look stupid like that (if I had any) but those children look gorgeous because it's natural.

I meet a lot of curlies who straighten their hair but general consensus is people like curly hair. I have never heard people say they think straight hair is sexier.

BUT I have long blonde hair so when I straighten it I look like a stereotype and it attracts no end of trouble.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    This has been on my mind for a while now, and I just wanted to express myself, and perhaps get some other people's opinions/thoughts on the matter.

All my life, whenever I straighten my hair, I get told it looks better. Or I should do it more often. When I look to the media, there's negative curly stereotypes everywhere, and curly hair is often representated only by wavy hair or artificially curled hair. We get told that our hair is hard work, or hear other curlies tell everyone curly hair is a nightmare. I constantly hear other curlies say they straighten their hair daily, and that they hate their curly hair.

I feel I am treated better when my hair is straightened, found to be more attractive. Taken more seriously. I am attracted to white men, and I get more looks from them when my hair is straight.

I am told my curly hair makes me look 'fun', cute, open. I am not told it makes me look sexy or seductive.

When I have seen men asked which they prefer, an overwhelming majority say they prefer straight hair, or loose curls.

I love my curls, but I am starting to feel insecure about them. Me, of all people. I sometimes crave straight hair, and I don't know why. I refuse to use any heat on my hair anymore, because the heat damaged a few curls and left them looser, even though I take very good care of my hair and flat iron to a minimum.

I do love curly hair, and I love mine. I have loads of pictures saved on my laptop of gorgeous ladies with big or long healthy curls. I feel they look sexy, and I certainly feel sexy when I have a good hair day.

But all this time, in the back of my mind, there is just this little voice reminding me that, while some people may think curly hair is nice, not many people think it's sexy. Many think it's unprofessional, or wild, or 'cute', or just plain not as attractive as straight hair. It's never going to be the ideal. It's always going to be looked down on. No-one desires it.

I'm not going to lie, it kind of burns. Why is it like this? Why can't all hair types, as long as they're healthy, be regarded as sexy?

I personally think any long, healthy hair is sexy. The emphasis is on health, for me, not curl, or lack thereof (though, I do have a special place in my heart for long frizz-free type 2c-3c hair).

Thoughts?

Any fellow curlies, how do you feel about this?

It's hard not to be influenced by societal attitudes, and for the last few decades, there's been a marked preference for straight hair. Beauty observers and people who study culture have also said that there's an aspect of racism in the favoring of straight hair, especially straight, blond hair -- it's the opposite end of the spectrum of brown, "Negroid" hair. Curly hair, it's said, is criticized, because of its association with black people. That why the way curly hair often is described smacks of stereotypes associated with black people: It's supposedly too natural, uncontrolled, unprofessional, and actually, some people think it's too sexual.

Fortunately, some women are trying to change attitudes and to find hairstyles that show off their curly hair to advantage. They're trying to develop styles that don't require damaging their hair and don't take hours to put together, and the upkeep of which don't require them to refrain from exercise.

Most of us want to be attractive, and there are strong conscious and unconscious pressures to conform, but sometimes you have to take a stand. I reocmmend the naturallycurly.com website and the Curly Girl Handbook.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Really? I've always been jealous of my cousins beautiful curls. They look just like yours :flowerforyou:
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    i know exactly what you mean. i'm a pretty vocal, soap-box type of feminist, and i'm not totally in the mood to jump on my soapbox right now. i just came to show some solidarity. i believe in the white-washing of the beauty ideal. even though our concept of the beauty ideal is constantly shifting -- and that's the point of a society having one in the first place, to make it more difficult to obtain -- the ideal always focuses on typically anglo-saxon features. it's not a healthy or constructive concept, and it gets even more dangerous when you think about how the beauty ideal affects women of color.
    It's supposedly too natural, uncontrolled, unprofessional, and actually, some people think it's too sexual.
    [/unquote]

too true. the stereotype of black people (men and women alike) is often that they're primal, sexual creatures above all else. that they're unrestricted by social mores, etc., etc.. this boils down to a lot of behavioral stereotypes that are used to reinforce the concept that anglo-saxon features are what everyone should strive toward. when you look at a lot of black women in major roles on television, primarily on shows otherwise dominated by a white cast, not only do they rarely have traditional "black" features -- they have smaller noses, lighter skin, smaller lips, and typically either straight hair or artificially curled hair. if they're in a non-major role, they tend to be more natural looking, but often don't get bigger parts.
  • I have always had naturally curly hair, everyone has loved it, and its one of the top reasons my husband was attracted to me in the first place! It is red to boot (that part isn't natural), and my hair is the first thing people notice. Its actually starting to straighten as I have more kids. :( Love your curls! I wouldn't trade mine for anything!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    As a child I hated my hair, and often wished for straight hair but during the span of the last 10 years or so I've truly learned to LOVE my hair. I have waist length spiral curls and I never straighten it, my curls are who I am. I think curly hair adds a bit of sass to one's personality just my opinion though..
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    What does the appearance of your hair have to do with staying in shape and losing weight?

It's the chit chat section.... Do you get vertigo up on that high horse?

teehee

and being comfortable with yourself has everything to do with being healthy inside and out
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    I also have naturally curly hair, and I've been told that when I use the straight iron on it that I look younger and thinner. I was made with curly hair that is totally unruly most of the time.