Curly hair isn't sexy?

Options

Replies

• LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My hair used to be pretty curly and i really liked it, with each baby it got less curly(something to do with hormone changes etc.) and they seemed to get the curls i lost lol. I am so mad now because i have hardly any curl(mostly just wavy now). My husband loved my curly hair it was one of the things he found most attractive about me and now it's pretty much gone :(
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I find curly hair hot! and straight hair, and wavy hair! It doesn't matter as there's more to attraction than just hair, don't go changing your looks because of what you think other people like. Someone will love it.

To me, if a woman has naturally curly hair, and she straightens it all the time, well, it can still look great, but it also looks a little fake at the same time. I personally think the way a person is naturally looks a lot sexier. I suppose I see it a bit like make-up - it has a place, but it doesn't always make a woman look better. Many women look stunning without it, and it gives a kind of effortless beauty that IMO nothing can beat!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The older I get, the more I embrace my curls - why spend hours straightening when I can spend 10 minutes, then have time to do things I'd rather do? I have been trying to teach my daughter to embrace hers as well - she's only 12 and has already fallen prey to the "straight is better" stereotype. God made each of us beautifully unique. Who am I to tell Him he didn't get my hair right? :wink:
  • Mi2sc
    Mi2sc Posts: 29
    Options
    Pfffttt! Screw what people think! My naturally curly hair was the bane of my existence from childhood through my 20's. Once I hit th 30's, I realized I had to stop trying to make my hair conform to the the newest trend/fad and instead choose what worked with my hair type and what looked good on me. So I embraced the "bigness" of my hair, scrunch up all of those crazy curlies and waves, and my husband adores it. It's not what "guys" think, it's what that one guy who loves all of you thinks. And if he loves all of you, he loves your curls.

This right here...I fought and fought my hair until one day I asked myself what was worth more...spending an hour making my curls conform or sleeping in/hanging with my people and rocking curls. I found a hairstylist that knew what to do with curls and got the right cut and products :)They don't call me curly sue for nothing!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    As a straight hair girl...I think it has a lot to do with your personality. My SILs curl their hair and it is SOOOOO pretty. They get those ringlets. So, I did it, and it did not look right on me. I looked downright stupid. So, when we go out they have these gorgeous curls and I have straight hair that somehow gets straighter as the evening progresses!!!

I just think it is "who you are". I have long straight blonde hair, you would think that I would ooze SEXY! I don't...I am cute. Some women are sexy and some women are cute. Not sure how that is determined....just who we are....and so that comes out whether our hair is straight/curly, blonde/red/brunette, skinny/curvy.

I would love to be sexy, but as soon as I try to make a sexy face, I start to laugh and pull out my 1988 cheer leading smile!!! haha!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have always wished I had curly hair. My hair has always been so straight and it drives me crazy. I try to curl it and it just goes flat no matter what I do with it. It has gotten a bit wavy as of the last few years but no where near what I'd love to have. I think curly hair is beautiful!! My oldest son has really wavy red hair that I'd just love to have, as does my boyfriend.
    Embrace and enjoy your hair!! Love yourself and know that people who don't show pleasure at your natural hair just have differing taste. It takes all kinds to make this crazy old world go 'round. ((hugs))
  • scrmngdsy
    scrmngdsy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Whether or not the majority of people think curly hair is sexy, I feel my sexiest when my hair is at its curliest!

My curly hair has become a major part of who I am over my life (although I hated it when I was younger and straightened it all the time).

I'll never straighten it again!

24056715_9175.jpg
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    All of us "curlies" HAVE to read "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey! It's a fabulous book about loving and taking care of our curly hair, "recipes" for scalp scrubs, suggestions for issues, etc. Her main idea is to "wash" our hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. It has the same cleansing ingredients, and keeps it from drying out. Anyway, I THOROUGHLY recommend it. Check out your local library or hit up Amazon! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

One a seperate note, it always bugged my wife that in the movie "The Princess Diaries" that the main character girl is a nerd with curly hair and when they turn her into a princess and make her beautiful they straighten her hair. Curly = dork. Striaght = Princess. Always bugged the *kitten* out of my wife.

That pisses me off too. Not sure if I noticed it when I was a kid, but it sure irritates the hell out of me now. It's downright offensive.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    It took me forever, but I love my curly hair now. I usually get a lot of compliments on it. I've had people want to just see what it looks like straightened, but probably for the novelty effect. I'm sorry that you're hearing negative things; I think your hair is lovely. :flowerforyou:

Thanks hun. It's not that anyone's being intentionally mean, or anything. For the most part, most people compliment my hair. It's just the backhanded comments and little subtle messages.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    All of us "curlies" HAVE to read "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey! It's a fabulous book about loving and taking care of our curly hair, "recipes" for scalp scrubs, suggestions for issues, etc. Her main idea is to "wash" our hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. It has the same cleansing ingredients, and keeps it from drying out. Anyway, I THOROUGHLY recommend it. Check out your local library or hit up Amazon! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008

That's what I do :) I don't follow the curly girl method (I use cones and no leave ins), but I co-wash my hair, and only use shampoo once a week, which I follow up with immediate conditioner, and then a deep condition. Also don't let any chemicals touch my hair, don't use the blowdrier, don't rip through tangles, S & D for splits, and don't use a standard towel, and my hair is now in fabulous condition :D
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Whether or not the majority of people think curly hair is sexy, I feel my sexiest when my hair is at its curliest!

My curly hair has become a major part of who I am over my life (although I hated it when I was younger and straightened it all the time).

I'll never straighten it again!

24056715_9175.jpg

Definitely sexy.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I find curly hair hot! and straight hair, and wavy hair! It doesn't matter as there's more to attraction than just hair, don't go changing your looks because of what you think other people like. Someone will love it.

To me, if a woman has naturally curly hair, and she straightens it all the time, well, it can still look great, but it also looks a little fake at the same time. I personally think the way a person is naturally looks a lot sexier. I suppose I see it a bit like make-up - it has a place, but it doesn't always make a woman look better. Many women look stunning without it, and it gives a kind of effortless beauty that IMO nothing can beat!

LOL, I wouldn't change my hair. No way. I love it. I think it's beautiful. Shiny, soft, silky, grows really fast, versatile, and ABOVE ALL, healthy. But it doesn't mean I don't still get affected by social norms and general opinion.

I am the same. I am really not a fan of fake hair. I don't really like make-up either. I prefer a make-up free face.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Personally, I don't feel like myself with straight hair. I had a relaxer most of my life and finally was "allowed" to let my curls grow again. I LOVE my curls. I love your curls. I love my close friend's curls, which are always all over the place. I love my man's curls that always flop over his forehead. I think is all in HOW the curls are presented. For example, curly hair in high pigtails looks really young and girlish. Let down in your face however...I think that's a look that's sexy with any hair type. Also, curly hair does a lot that straight hair doesn't. All my friendss with straight hair wish they had curly hair...go figure.

Also, anyone who thinks your curls aren't sexy OBVIOUSLY hasn't seen your curls correctly. Hair envy to the max. :laugh:

Thank you so much!

I must say, you and your BF are so cute together. I have a very big space in my heart for BF/WM relationships, seeing as my Mum is black and Dad white. I don't see it often so it always makes me grin like a goof, especially when they have kids. They always seem so happy together, too :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sexy is in the eye of the beholder. And we usually think that what we have isn't.
    People with curly hair straighten it out. People with straight hair get perms.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Sorry, I call BS.

Google image, in 2.2 seconds I found literally HUNDREDS of stunningly sexy women with messy curly hair.

I have many incredibly sexy friends on MFP (not just by my judgment...but by the commentary of all the drooling men that fawn over their pages), with curly hair.

Now, that's not to say you may not 'feel' sexy...but that's internal. Blaming your hair for it...nope...not buying it!

Funny, that. Because when I search on Google, I find plenty of people with CURLED hair, not curly hair.

No. I didn't say I didn't feel sexy because of my hair. I said I felt curly hair isn't viewed as sexy.

I never said people say I'm not sexy because of my hair, rather I get told my straight hair makes me look sexy more than I am told my curly hair makes me sexy.

And there is the distinction. You see a difference between 'curled' and 'curly' hair...99.99% of men, don't. Most of us couldn't tell the difference regardless, unless it's an obvious thing.

And I didn't say you didn't feel sexy. I said you 'may not'. You as in general, may as in possibly.

I also didn't say people said you're not sexy because of your hair. But something stemmed this honestly silly post (yes, it's right up there with 'Curvy women aren't sexy?')...and to be honest, I'm starting to see exactly what that is now.

You asked a question, I stated that the validity of the question is nonexistent. Curly hair IS sexy...just as sexy as the woman who has it. Same for straight hair, long hair, short hair, and even no hair (takes a seriously beautiful woman to pull THAT one off).

So? Whether or not guys can tell the difference between CURLED hair, and CURLY hair, it still doesn't represent us. I don't feel any sort of connection with most of the ladies on there, because it's not real curls.

If you feel this post is silly, fine. Click off it.

But as a woman, a woman with curly hair, I am expressing my feelings. If my feelings are silly to you, that's not my problem, love. I'm sure some other people with curly hair understand how I feel.

Your post was interesting enough to reply to...so I did. The topic...well yeah, silly.

And trust me, as a guy with stupidly curly hair (yes, more curly even than yours)...I relate, completely. On men...your point is actually semi valid...but only in extremes (women seem to like large, lazy curls on men, not tight small curls). There's a reason I keep mine shaved close...it's more attractive on me. On women, curly hair is gorgeous...if the woman wearing it is gorgeous. As long as a persons hair suits them, it's not going to break their attractiveness, though it can certainly make them more attractive.

I also never denied you your right to express your feelings. Instead, I told you that those feelings were inaccurate in regards to reality. They may not be inaccurate as far as your personal experience goes...but I can promise you...a good portion of the population doesn't feel the same way you do. Almost every woman I know who sees my daughters hair immediately says 'I WISH I HAD YOUR CURLS!!!', to which my daughter immediately replies...'No, no...you don't.' I happen to agree with her lol, but not because of how they look on her...more because of what a ***** it is to deal with them.

I don't think you're getting my point at all.

Anyway, everyone's experiences are different. Yes, I get the 'I WISH I HAD YOUR CURLS!!' all of the time, but I also get the messages of 'curly hair is more work/curly hair must be completely perfect to look presentable/curly hair isn't sexy/curly hair is negative'.

We are both speaking in anecdotes, here. So, unless one of us can find an international survey regarding curls, or an in depth sociological survey regarding curls, I think we should agree to disagree on the subject of how attractive curls are deemed by society. I am letting you guys know how I feel, and you seem determined to argue with me.
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have not and will not ever straighten my hair. It doesn't look good to me straight. It looks unnatural and ugly. Plus it is a lot of work and I am inherently lazy :)

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Make yourself happy :)
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    curly hair is sexy
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Curls can be VERY sexy. You have AWESOME hair. Fantastically gorgeous, highly energetic and super sexy hair. I would punch a puppy to have hair like yours. I have limp, straight hair that has no personality to it whatsoever. You have fab hair, and let no one tell you otherwise.

You just made my day.

:flowerforyou:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    curly hair is sexy

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: