Curly hair isn't sexy?

Options

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    People put too much emphasis on hair..

Because it's another part of ourselves?

I don't know about you, but my hair is a big part of me. My identity, my appearance, my body.

So, it's not 'too much emphasis'.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Question...when you say curly hair, are you limiting that to un-relaxed curly hair?

I'm a little confused?

Hair that doesn't have a relaxer in it? My hair has relaxer, but after the fact, I still have curly hair, it's just less bushy. I often hear black or biracial women who have "natural" hair without relaxer in it that my hair is "fake" or that I'm conforming to white standards of beauty by getting a relaxer. It pisses me off. Especially because most people think my hair is "natural" when they see it, and praise my ability to have such "long healthy natural hair" and only when I correct them that I actually have a relaxer in it, do they try to shame me.

So is it texlaxed?

Well, I'm not sure on this one. Appearence wise, you'd fit into the category. Afterall, it looks curly. But I was referring to naturally curly hair.

I guess you could say it's texlaxed. I found your topic interesting because in my experience, caucasians and asians especially tell me "don't ever straighten your hair! it's so pretty!" even in professional settings. But it's my fellow biracial peeps and african americans who try and convince me to go completely natural. Some of them find relaxer offensive, which I find ridiculous. My boyfriend is white and he has always said he prefers my hair curly.

Well, to be honest, I am not a fan of relaxer. In fact, I detest it. But I don't try and convince anyone to go natural. But when people start relaxing their kid's hair, I can't respect them.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I have been blessed to have girls in my life that really embrace beauty in all forms. For me that was a turning point for me because I use to hate everything about me. I would always wear my hair in a pony tail because I didn't own a straightener and I felt my natural hair was hideous. Now I wear my hair down all the time, completely natural! I only add maybe a headband or some bobby pins because I can't stand my hair to be in my face. I get so many compliments! I instead get compliments of more like "oh your hair looks good straight too, but I love it curly!"

I feel maybe you are just surrounded by people who don't appreciate the beauty that your hair has! Personally for me, there is only one man who needs to find it sexy, and that will be my husband someday. My boyfriend (whom I hope shall be my husband within the next few years) loves my hair any way I wear it.

Rock that beautiful hair! Keep it healthy! Beauty is not 1 dimensional!

But I am around people who compliment/love my hair. It's a combination of things, not one sole cause.

And thanks hun.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Yeah, they're changing. I do worry they'll always be the same, always be the same under the surface.

You have to fight against that attitude, although it's understandable. I'm not one of those people who says Why do you care what other people think? (and they usually don't have the issue, so it's easy for them).

My monitor is lousy, so I can't see your photos well, but your hair seems to have very nice texture. Since, and it's unfortunate, natural hair is still considered out there in conservative settings, when I'm in them, I make sure that the rest of me is conservative, not boring, but nothing that shouts, Look at me!

Thank you.

I know what you mean, though. I still feel self conscious about how I come across when my hair is in its natural state. And if it's really frizzy or messy, I feel embarassed and flat twist it.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My hair is straight, thin, fine, limp and BORING.
    I've always wanted thick, gorgeous curly hair like yours.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love curly hair. And you my dear are very beautiful and sexy. Don't change for nobody other than yourself.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    484204_405233502853429_230558836_n.jpg

Curly hair is hot! Further proof above. You can't really see, but Harmony's hair is quite curly!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I love my curls. Every guy I've ever dated--including the one I married nearly 14 years ago--has loved my hair curly. When I straighten it my husband says I look fake, snobby, superficial...

When my hair is curly and bouncy I feel sexy as hell. It must come thru because on my curliest days I get the most attention. I'm in Chicago and it's hot and humid and they just grow bigger and bigger, and I let them. There is something about embracing what we have that is sexy in and of itself.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and I love your hair. I spend a 1/2 hour curling my hair every day because it is so straight. :wink:
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Question...when you say curly hair, are you limiting that to un-relaxed curly hair?

I'm a little confused?

Hair that doesn't have a relaxer in it? My hair has relaxer, but after the fact, I still have curly hair, it's just less bushy. I often hear black or biracial women who have "natural" hair without relaxer in it that my hair is "fake" or that I'm conforming to white standards of beauty by getting a relaxer. It pisses me off. Especially because most people think my hair is "natural" when they see it, and praise my ability to have such "long healthy natural hair" and only when I correct them that I actually have a relaxer in it, do they try to shame me.

So is it texlaxed?

Well, I'm not sure on this one. Appearence wise, you'd fit into the category. Afterall, it looks curly. But I was referring to naturally curly hair.

I guess you could say it's texlaxed. I found your topic interesting because in my experience, caucasians and asians especially tell me "don't ever straighten your hair! it's so pretty!" even in professional settings. But it's my fellow biracial peeps and african americans who try and convince me to go completely natural. Some of them find relaxer offensive, which I find ridiculous. My boyfriend is white and he has always said he prefers my hair curly.

Well, to be honest, I am not a fan of relaxer. In fact, I detest it. But I don't try and convince anyone to go natural. But when people start relaxing their kid's hair, I can't respect them.

I think it depends on the reason for the relaxer. My mother suggested I get a relaxer at age 13 because I was about to go into high school and she didn't want to do my hair for me each morning anymore. I was unable to do it myself, so I agreed. If my mother had said I'd look prettier with a relaxer or something of that nature, I'd take issue with it. But for me the relaxer has always been for convenience.

I've never been able to understand why people take issue with relaxers, perhaps because I was never forced into one. To me a relaxer is no different than a white person getting highlights or dying their hair. Or even black people--why is it accepted that black women can dye their hair and not receive the "oh she's not natural" crap from people, when this is really no different than a relaxer, it just has a different effect? People also always assume I have highlights in my hair because it's got many different shades of brown and red in it, they don't chastise me for that, only a relaxer.

It's an interesting subject to me. I don't detest natural hair or relaxed hair because I don't think it's my business. On myself, I like my hair the way it is. On others, it's their hair and even if it's not my taste in style, it's not my business what works for them.

As to your original question about the curly hair stereotype, though--I think maybe because curly hair looks *wild* or *untamed*. However, if a guy--white or black or whatever else--doesn't like curly hair, then oh well. There's plenty of them who do. I'd worry about my hair for my *own* preferences, not for a guy's.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My hair was always straight, I used to perm it in the 80s until I hacked it all off in the early 90s when I was sick of having it up all the time. I kept it short until a few years ago after having kids when I grew it out and it has come in with soft wavy curls so now I have started to embrace the curl and have it styled to show them off. I still have to wear it up for work but I twist my ponytail to give it more curl, when it is down I feel sexier and more feminine. I find it hard to keep it soft and silky, colouring the greys has made it pretty dry on the ends.

I am also far too lazy to spend and hour and a half trying to straighten it especially as an hour later it is back to where I started. Sexy comes from the inside anyway, if you feel sexy other people see you as sexy.
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and I hate my curly hair. It's caught somewhere between wavy and curly where only the tips feather out to annoy me :\ I straighten it as often as I can because I'm trying to grow it out for the winter months, but unfortunately in summer, the sweat on my neck and around my hairline makes it all curl, so...

In short, I don't like (hate) it on me, but I like it just fine on other people :)
  • Disneyfan05
    Disneyfan05 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So long hair is sexy and short isn't? I have natural curl. I get asked all the time if it is a perm. I can blow it straight, and do at times. I think curly hair gets negative comments because it can look wild and unkept. My hair right now is curly because of the humidity, but in the winter I prefer it straight. Depends on the season and the weather.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You have great hair. I've always been jealous of women with curly hair. Mine if baby fine and flat as it gets.

That said, with women we always seem to want the hair we do not have.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think we all want what we can't have...

I have thick shorter hair (by ears) but would LOVE natural tight curls, I envy girls with this hair type.

So I personally think it isn't the hair that is sexy -- if it suits your face shape and your personality (ie I don't wear red hair but some girls rock it) then go for it -- its your self confidence in it that makes you sexy...

Phew did that make sense? haha
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As someone with pin-straight fine hair that won't even hold a fake curl, I seriously envy you. I think unruly, crazy curls are the absolute best thing in the world and I would shave my head clean if it meant tomorrow it would start growing in curly.

I write a lot and one of my favorite (and best-loved, according to my friends) characters is Anna. She's known for being motherly and caring, but has a saucy, sexy side as well. The first thing one notices about her is her crazy mop of yellow curls. So there are people out there who think real curls are insanely awesome and sexy! :D

Here's Anna, for good measure (my art, thus okay for me to post) :

TarotAnnacolortest1e-1-1.jpg

smiliingannafinal1k-1.jpg
  • jessicaallsorts
    Options
    To be honest, I think being sexy has very little to do with what you look like. Being sexy is behavior..and all about attitude. If you are feeling great and feel you look good, then the way you carry yourself makes you sexy... And that has nothing to do with curly or straight hair!

Let's take Ryan Reynolds and Ryan gosling as examples (I like to think about Ryan gosling in as many situations as I can). Ryan Reynolds is a more attractive man if you consider then side by side in a phot. But wow they way Ryan gosling carries himself, has eye contact, does that cheeky smile, well those behaviors make him sexy as hell.

In summary, it's the way you behave that makes you sexy. If you love your curly hair and rock it when you go out, then the energy you send out to people will be the sexy attraction...nothing to do with your hair!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Multiply how You feel 100 times when it comes to Black "Curly Hair." The stereotyping, negative attitudes/comments...some how being Natural is Good ON:Y in food, not other things GOD Created. Again, I guess you are feeling the "white" stereotype of what is "Superior".
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just love curls. your eyes have more to follow, and im very grateful for my curls! embrace what your given!

im most confident looking like this-
    thm_phpiGY8DR.jpg

i like my hair straight to. ill only do it once every few months tho. im always worrying if the back starts bumping up

thm_phpYI0aJF.jpg
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As long as the person takes good care of their hair anything goes. Nothing looks worse than hair bleached, straightened, curled, or dyed to death.... Maybe hair that hasn't seen shampoo in a few weeks, but that's something I count under 'not taken care of'.

My personal preference is straight over curly and dark over bright, but it really depends on the person. Some people look stunning with curly hair, some with blond hair.

I don't.
    For me that means black dye every few weeks.