Anyone doing No Carbs diet?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    {snip} So let ask you this. What causes people to get fat?

overeating and not exercising?

And BINGO was his name-o! That's exactly what did it for me. Now I eat controlled portions and exercise consistently, and the fat is melting off. ...And I eat more carbs than do protein.

If exercise is part of the weight loss equation, people wouldn't be able to lose weight without exercising. Sure exercise is great, has it's own benefits, but not necessary at all for weight loss.

"Exercise has no effect on weight loss" =/= "not necessary"

This is true. Exercise has no effect on weight loss, but exercise sure does make you look better.

Lol, so if you were to take two groups, tightly control diets and exercise and have one group exercise and one group not exercise, there would be no difference in weight loss?
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do low carb...no carbs kept me sleepy.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Just a comment, I think your protein is set much too low. You should probably aim for at least 100g of protein per day.

That was my thought as well.

OP - I try to keep my carbs low as well. Between 70 and 80 is where I feel best. Good luck with your goals. :smile:

Agreeing with these comments here .. At least 100 grams of protein. Don't listen to people who will tell you that's hard on your liver or whatever ... you'd have to eat a ridiculous amount - amounts nearly impossible to reach by any average person even if they tried.

I avoid grains and keep starchy vegetables and beans low but get carbs galore through greens, 'above-ground' veggies and a conservative amount of fruit. Grains and especially processed sugars really screw up the human chemistry.

I have not had headaches or fatigue with this method. Any time I get off-track, I immediately feel better once I get back on!

My book suggestion is the Smarter Science of Slim by Johnathan Bailor. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:

I agree! I eat all of my carbs from veggies 95% of the time. i will have occasional carbs from greek yogurt, but otherwise try to stick to veggies. I eat around 5-7 pounds of veggies daily, am NEVER hungry, and am able to build muscle and maintain my 12% body fat. Good luck!!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Try join the Paleo/Primal Group on MFP, they could help you out easily.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lol, so if you were to take two groups, tightly control diets and exercise and have one group exercise and one group not exercise, there would be no difference in weight loss?
    What are you keeping the same between the groups ?
  • yarwell
    Options
    The "light" dressing in the OP's diary seems to be unnecessary carbs, full fat mayo would be better.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

And BINGO was his name-o! That's exactly what did it for me. Now I eat controlled portions and exercise consistently, and the fat is melting off. ...And I eat more carbs than do protein.

If exercise is part of the weight loss equation, people wouldn't be able to lose weight without exercising. Sure exercise is great, has it's own benefits, but not necessary at all for weight loss.

"Exercise has no effect on weight loss" =/= "not necessary"

This is true. Exercise has no effect on weight loss, but exercise sure does make you look better.

"tightly controlled diets" dietary modification once again.

Great use of quotes there
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It's necessary if you want to eat a fair number of calories and still lose weight.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    In RE to low-carb eating, try to find a good recipe book on cooking with Coconut flour, Cooking with Almond Flour and cooking with Flax seed flour. Those three flours will be your best friends. I make a variety of homemade breads with these flours and lots of "treats" as well. Stevia and coco powder can be a treat when mixed with coconut flour! Also, Unsweetened almond milk is great! I use coconut oil and olive oil often. Be sure to choose healthy fats as much as possible. I also avoid potatoes, and any processed foods. If it comes in a box, I rarely buy it! Shop around for a good plain greek yogurt, and use stevia or sugar-free jam or fresh fruit to add flavor.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb, also eating cleanly as possible. No processed foods or as little as possible.
    You need good fats, and lots of protein as well.
    You look to be on the right path tho..
    Good luck.
  • Nonvictus
    Nonvictus Posts: 9
    Options
    As a recent convert to the "Paleo"/"Caveman"/"Primal" diet - I have found that cutting out carbs is TOUGH, but not impossible. For great inspiring reading on ways to eat YUMMY low carb food and live a more "paleo" (food) lifestyle check out:

Mark's Daily Apple Blog: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz21U3BCUwS

Also - this graphic is a great reminder of why we eat lower carbs:
    http://thecommonsensewarrior.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/carb-curve1.png
  • MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb and once I got through the initial sluggishness, I feel lots better!
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    Well I think Ive found what works for me....and more importantly healthy for me (though some may think not).

I started a VERY LOW CARB diet last Friday. First couple of days I had constant headaches! Think it was carb withdrawal.

But on Day 4...I had lost .2kg / .5lb and this is the beginning of Day 5 and I weighed in with another .6kg lost...

That is a total weight loss of .8kg or 1.76lbs in 4 days!!!!!

So the same logic that I couldnt have gained so much weight since it takes 3500 excess...and now....it means I would have been almost (3500 x 2) 7000 deficit in 4 days....which I havent been. My diary is OPEN.

Reading on the effects of Carbs in the bloodstream,....especially TOO many carbs....causes the body to stop releasing the Fat for Energy...so my exercising didnt work...I had too many CARBS in my body ! And the first wave of eating less didnt work cause I still gave my body Carbs (which is used as glucose/energy).

Low Carbs is it for me.

For about 3months I hope to continue it REALLY strictly....and slowly incorporate over time more high carbs veggies.....but in a realistic way.

Finally Lord!!! Found what works for me!

phew....
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i cant see how you are doing NO carbs...as there are carbs in veggies too! (no not bloody potatos) :laugh:
    i do minamal carbs(most days) :drinker:
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just set my carbohydrate goal to around 20%. I like this challenge.
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    why is it better to eat as many PROTEIN as possible?

the higher the number...the greater the amount of fat burned??

can someone explain this to me?

thanks!!
  • yarwell
    Options
    Eating enough protein reduces / avoids loss of muscle. Digestion of protein and using its energy seems to take a bit more energy than the calorie number suggests, so in general increased protein diets do better in tests.

30-35% of your calorie intake would be regarded as a high protein intake, it certainly isn't "as much as possible" as beyond a certain point it isn't used as protein and is broken down to other things (poss including glucose).

A low carb diet, with enough protein, is a high fat diet.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options

thanks!!
    Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

You can eat a higher amount of protein and stay fuller longer because of it.

However, high protein diets are not right for everyone. You MUST consume a high fiber diet (which most frequently comes from vegetables, i.e. CARBS)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

thanks!!

What does protein do to your body? What is the purpose of Protein?