Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• gaerielsky
    gaerielsky Posts: 20
    Options
    All I did was hold up a mirror. if you feel judged, it's on you.
    I'm looking at the back of the mirror.:wink:

That explains a lot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    So nice of you to pass on your personal prejudices. I will add in you are "Assuming" and you know where that leads; however, I do not, so I am out of that equation. If you want to pass judgement or speak of your own prejudices, take it somewhere that calls for negativity.

I would despise having you as a personal trainer...so much bias and self-righteousness. You had to find your own path to a healthier living, living, let them. And with that, let them eat cake! If they so choose, that is their decision, and not yours. If you want to help someone, offer suggestions to THEM, and not post it on a board in which they will never see.
    If I would have intervened with "ladies that's probably not a good idea", the crowd here would definitely said "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS".
    And I take offense to "predjudice" since I'm not. If that were true, then I would abhor working with overweight/obese people and not chosen my profession at all.
    You can disagree, but no need to get personal with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you are more than 50 pounds overweight, and you're spilling out of your clothing, and eating disgustingly unhealthy food, all the time, and you dont exercise, and you dont want to exercise, and you dont want to be healthy, and you dont want to do anything good for yourself, and you look for any excuse at all to not have to try, to stay comfortable in your big puffy nest that you carry around on your skeleton like a beanbag, and mutter with your chubby women friends under your breath, cursing the fit girls and the naturally thin girls, and chugging coca cola and judging every healthy individual that passes you, oh it must be nice to be as thin as you are, oh look youre eating rabbit food again, real men loves curves, youre built like a teenage boy, you need to eat more, no man wants a bone- bones are for dogs, look at her she thinks she better than us, yeah when this vacations over, Im go on me a lil. diet again. No you dont need to lose anything, you look healthy sha...

^ IF youre one of THEM - you can bet your cottage cheese *kitten* that Im judging you. based on your words AND actions. Just like you judge me for eating right ALL the time instead of just before an event, and just like you judge me for always waking up early and exercising my *kitten* off 'like im better than you'.

...sorry for the rant.... that was directed at.... my roommate and entire neighborhood.

PHWOAR!! That was one hell of a rant!!! :drinker:

"your cottage cheese *kitten*" made me spit my tea all over the keyboard... :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff,
    Have you ever left a chair out on the Kitchen table, and the dog got up there and grabbed like 3 or 4 hamburger patties just as you turn around? You corner the dog and its trying to scarf the food down as fast as it can before you can take it away. While its horking down those patties its simultaniously trying to growl and snarl at you to warn you to get back. Its thinking that it landed a huge score and now you are attacking it trying to take the very thing that it currently loves sooo much. It has no idea you are trying to help it.
    All you are reall trying to do is keep the animal from choking to death or puke all over your house later. You mean no real harm.

Well that is what you have done here: You have attacked the sacred "All you can eat cruise" and now you have several cornered dogs snarling at you while they are horking down their food. Some people dont want help, they just want to be left in the corner horking down their hamburgers as they snarl at you for trying to help them.

I feel your pain, but you cant help those that dont want help.
    Lol, I'm Asian.:laugh: :laugh: If that happened to me with the dog, it would have been lunch!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I hear what you're saying and if it just reaches just one person, then the effort is worth it to me.

IDEA Fitness member

That's it ninerbuff can I ask will you be my friend? I luv it and I luv all the dog metaphors. Dogs, hamburgers, eating, throwing rocks, barking ...

But in all seriousness I'm the grandmother (African American, as you can tell by my pic) of an Afro-Asian granddaughter who has diabetes running through both sides of her gene pool, both set of grandparents and I’m concerned for her health (she is sitting on my lap). I was a committed Couch Potato, who was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2001, got busy exercising Feb of 2006, the strongest leg of the three legged stool of meds, proper food and exercise, at least for me. Could only do 15 minutes of fast walking when I began but can now do a 2.5/3hr aerobic exercise session from time to time (twice a month). I went from a size 20 to a size 8; 179 pounds to 132 in six years (5’3”), I focused on my glucose numbers and not the scale so the weight came off after 3.5 years. I also have metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure, cholesterol and type II and taking meds. I dropped from four meds for diabetes to one, Metformin. It seems my liver is on high speed glucose producing mode.

I read everything I can get my hands on and afford (I keep my books for reference) about diabetes, except popular magazine articles. I own The Handbook of Exercise in Diabetes and I'm looking to purchase another text book on Exercise and Diabetes (Contemporary). I’m not looking for someone to kick me in the butt; I’m just looking for someone like minded. I fired my first endo (he didn’t want to work with me and be a partner in managing my situation) and found a fabulous one who is also a nutritionist, expert on obesity and does research. She tried to fire me as a patient because she said, “You can manage on your own,” but I wouldn’t go. Getting an appointment with her is a 5 to 7 month process/wait. :happy:
    Can I just say that your granddaughter is lucky to have such a caring grandmother?!:flowerforyou:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ccampbell21
    Ccampbell21 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I recently returned home from a 7 day running camp. We ran 3-5 miles in the morning, than sat and listened to speakers about running, and went for a strenous 1-2 hour hike in the afternoon. I did glance around the table to see what the other healthy-weight runners were eating compared to me, worried someone that someone was going to point and laugh. And what I noticed, for the most part is that people ate until full ... and then stopped. And almost everyone had a little dessert with lunch and dinner.

I lost 3.5 pounds during that week ... and I have to admit I do believe that within reason a fit and active lifestyle can cancel out a few less than stellar dietary choices. You notice I said within reason ... but hey the proof is on the scale my friends!

:)

That sounds like a fun trip. I wonder if they have any around where I live. 7 days might be a bit much but a weekend of that sounds great. I love hikes and running can also be entertaining. I'll have to look into this.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Everyone is on their individual journey toward health. I pay no attention to the comments of others because I know that their journey is not mine and vice versa. My grandmother lived to be 96 and she was 250lbs. She was never ill. My great grandmother was 200lbs and she died at 103. She was never ill. My father has been an athlete all of his life and never overweight. He is diabetic and at one point was insulin dependent. I am old enough to know that people have to find their own way and my thoughts about it do not matter. When people are ready they will make a change. When they are not ready, they will remain stagnant.

That is so awesome about your grandmother and great grandmother. Did they do anything special or say get a lot of physical exercise living on a farm or something like that? I had a great grandma that lived to 101 and a great great aunt that lived to 99. Neither was overweight, but they grew up on a farm and then ran a boarding house together.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    THIS IS A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE COME FOR HELP, SUPPORT AND NOT TO BE JUDGED
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    SO STOP FREAKIN JUDGING PEOPLE AND GROW UP
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS
    AND BASH THOSE PEOPLE IS DISGUSTING.
    People come here to lose weight and be healthy, and when people make negative comments about behaviors that will cause them to gain weight and become unhealthy, that is somehow evil and wrong? I am confused. That seems to be more supportive than "It's ok, go ahead and eat 6000 calories in a day, you've earned it" which is exactly the sort of attitude that caused most people to become overweight to begin with. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, and trying to dress it up as capslock-laden righteous indignation doesn't change anything. I wouldn't tell an alcoholic that it's ok to drink as much as they want because they are on vacation, regardless of how well they've done recently. I don't see how telling people with weight problems that it's ok to eat whatever they want is acceptable... just because you feel defense does not give you the right to sabotage others.

*claps*

And with regards to the OP, I also see you child aged around 10 in my neighbourhood who I would estimate around 200lb and the rest of the family are the same. Do I think it's a very sad thing to see, absolutely!! And I don't think it's judgemental to think it's sad that this child is subjected to a lifestyle that will probably give him diabetes by the time he's a teen and quite probably forshorten his life.
    I volunteer for my daughters school on "walk" days (where there's an adult supervised 30 minute walk before school for the kids) and see these elementary kids who are 80lbs and their knees already "bowing" in to support the added weight and my heart drops because I KNOW that if it doesn't change now, that the changes of adult obesity is imminent. Overweight/obese adults usually start out as overweight/obese children as most on here know now.
    These kids really want to play and bond with the others, but gas out after a few minutes of physical activity. To me there's nothing worse than watching a child unable to participate because of being overweight/obese because I know that it's totally fixable. It's just that I can't be the one to fix it for them.

IDEA Fitness member

I work in public health and we fund a whole host of (free) initiatives trying to get kids active and the children really want to but are being boycotted by those who should love them the most. I also hear you about the 'bowing' knees. I see them at primary school age already so heavy that their little legs have grown like and upside down letter ' Y ' separating from the knees outwards to support the extra weight. The mechanical problems caused by bone & joint growth problems, entirely due to their weight, will cause them problems for years on end and it's very sad.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    But the point is, you shouldn't judge people.
    Like your statement didn't do right?:laugh:
    All I did was hold up a mirror. if you feel judged, it's on you.

Careful there! It's a long fall off that high horse.
  • marz42
    Options
    Nothing breaks my heart more than a child that is limited in experiences because their parents couldn't get on a healthy diet in the household.

My daughter has inspired me to find healthier foods. If someone grows up with healthy foods, they won't have such a hard time breaking them later. I grew up with a VERY weight-conscious mom, so I don't have any issues with soda like my friends do. My boyfriend, however, grew up in the complete opposite of health conscious and he has a much harder time making changes.

I think it can go either way. Eating healthy growing up can form good habits..but if it's done too strictly it could also backfire. We ate reasonably healthy growing up, we had a garden full of veggies, rarely got fast food, and any "junk" type food was a rare treat. Unfortunately it kind of backfired, and the yummy junk things as 'treat' got pretty firmly wired. So then when I got out on my own it felt like whoohoo now I can eat whatever I want and no one can tell me what I can or can't eat, and I could buy the "treat" food (ie cheeseburgers) whenever I wanted. Oops. We also ate very meat and potatoes, and not a lot of variety, and chop suey was about as exotic as it got and pretty bland (making the treat food that much more treaty). Now I'm all about the Indian, Thai, Middle Eastern..anything with lots of flavours and spice, and trying to re-wire my junk-as-treat wiring.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Everyone is on their individual journey toward health. I pay no attention to the comments of others because I know that their journey is not mine and vice versa. My grandmother lived to be 96 and she was 250lbs. She was never ill. My great grandmother was 200lbs and she died at 103. She was never ill. My father has been an athlete all of his life and never overweight. He is diabetic and at one point was insulin dependent. I am old enough to know that people have to find their own way and my thoughts about it do not matter. When people are ready they will make a change. When they are not ready, they will remain stagnant.

hmmmmm... my parents were chain smokers and used the same arguments to maintain their denial about all the evidence that smoking is harmful... they always used to say "Your grandfather made it to 98 and he smoked every single day..."

Now they're both in their early sixties. Dad had a stroke (due to smoking) and mum has advanced COPD and is on permanent oxygen.

Not a chance in hell will they make it to 98....

And nor will most morbidly obese folk, so lets stop pointing at the isolated rare lucky ones while dismissing the majority.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread for a while and tried my best to stay out of it due to all the hate.

Well, you are going to hate me then...oh well. That will be on you, not me.

I stand behind Niner on this. It was an observation he made...he did not judge these ladies in any way. We would all wonder what diet they were talking about or why they think it would be okay to gorge themselves while on a cruse. We have an obesity epidemic world wide...if you would go back and look at the clothing sizes from the 20's you would know how fat we have become. I look at my friends now compared to what they were in high school. None of them are in the single digits in clothing any more. I am the only one who is still thin. I take care of my body...I don't guzzle down sodas, eat fried food every day, devour an entire bag of chips in one go. One of my best friends went from an 8 to a 24 in jeans....within 10 years. This astounds me. My friends now think they are 'normal' because as a society we have gotten bigger and bigger. I never go out to eat with them because they make fun of my food choices and try to ply me with junk. I love my friends dearly but they just haven't seen the light yet. I don't voice my opinion with them on their fad diets or diet pills because I know they will not listen to me. I do however show them by eating healthy, working out, and just being active in general is the way to go.

Last note....I do judge people...we all do. Appearance means a lot. While we say never to judge a book by its cover....we all do and those of you who say otherwise are lying to yourself. If you saw me on the street you would probably think I was a pothead or illeducated freak due to my piercings and geeky attire. Little would you know that I have never done drugs, I am a Sunday school teacher, and I work in animal rescue.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    OY! I agree with you. I don't think vacations are an excuse to let your diet completely slip into oblivion. It's a place to relax, enjoy nice food, but don't go "overboard".

I think most health-conscious people would just enjoy the fact that on a cruise the food is prepared for them and they don't have to make the effort. I wouldn't see it as a free-for-all. Yeah, I'd indulge in a treat here or there, but wouldn't go hog-wild.

It's all in the mind-set. Life-style vs. diet.

^^This^^

As a formerly morbidly obese person, I find that making excuses to over-indulge is what got me into my original predicament to begin with. My health doesn't care if I'm on a cruise. I'm in this to be healthy, not diet. I want to lead by example, not show my children that it's okay to over eat for a week because the trip was expensive. I want to show them how you can still eat healthy while being away from home and being faced with tempting circumstances.

For me, If I was faced with the same circumstances I would be concerned and saddened. Concerned for the health of the people convincing themselves that it's okay to eat that way and saddened because they don't realize how much better life is when you pass on the extra helping and go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

This. And I did not get from the OP that he was being judgmental or trying to start a thread just to smack talk. I have lost weight and gained it back more than once. I am now on my 3rd weight loss attempt in 6 years. What made me gain it back each time is allowing the excuses to come back up. Once I hit my goal, i stop monitoring everything that goes in my body, and allow myself more indulgences than I did when I was dieting. Now that I am here, again, I fully understand the difference between diet and changing your life. Thats what I think this post speaks to. Yes you have to indulge some in your life, in moderation. And yes, if you are on vacation you can let yourself indulge a little more than you normally would if you were just at home. But that is not an excuse for a free for all. It is sad that so many people in this country are obese, and honestly I tihnk its sad that we aren't allowed to talk openly about it without being attacked for being bullies. If a smoker that had lung damage said, oh im on vacation I am going to smoke as much as I want, then back to no smoking next week, would that be ok? Would people be defending that person? I doubt it.

THIS THIS THIS! especialllyyyyy this part :
    If a smoker that had lung damage said, oh im on vacation I am going to smoke as much as I want, then back to no smoking next week, would that be ok? Would people be defending that person? I doubt it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS

Rewarding yourself with food, thats a good idea. When you go for a run, do you treat yourself by running AWAY from the finish line?

Why did you lose 21 pounds? Did you judge for yourself that it was unhealthy, negative and you needed to lose it? Or did it happen by accident against your will?

This is a website for people who want to change for the better... and indulging in excuses is DISGUSTING. And for those that HAVE already changed.... so is the rest of the behavior he described, if we dont detest it and understand why its so awful, then there's always a risk that we'll fall back into it.

NO. THANK. YOU.

You can defend a gluttonous overindulgent lifestyle all you please, it wont make it healthy, ever.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When I went to New Orleans earlier this year, I ate like I did in the army, pretty much everything tasty in sight and constantly. I walked everywhere with the exception of the odd streetcar ride. I lost weight, because I walked everywhere. Being on vacation means you don't have to commute, you are not at your desk .. basically, you don't HAVE to sit on your *kitten*, it become a choice. Whenever I go on vacation, I'm far more active all day long than I am during a work day.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    If you are more than 50 pounds overweight, and you're spilling out of your clothing, and eating disgustingly unhealthy food, all the time, and you dont exercise, and you dont want to exercise, and you dont want to be healthy, and you dont want to do anything good for yourself, and you look for any excuse at all to not have to try, to stay comfortable in your big puffy nest that you carry around on your skeleton like a beanbag, and mutter with your chubby women friends under your breath, cursing the fit girls and the naturally thin girls, and chugging coca cola and judging every healthy individual that passes you, oh it must be nice to be as thin as you are, oh look youre eating rabbit food again, real men loves curves, youre built like a teenage boy, you need to eat more, no man wants a bone- bones are for dogs, look at her she thinks she better than us, yeah when this vacations over, Im go on me a lil. diet again. No you dont need to lose anything, you look healthy sha...

^ IF youre one of THEM - you can bet your cottage cheese *kitten* that Im judging you. based on your words AND actions. Just like you judge me for eating right ALL the time instead of just before an event, and just like you judge me for always waking up early and exercising my *kitten* off 'like im better than you'.

...sorry for the rant.... that was directed at.... my roommate and entire neighborhood.

PHWOAR!! That was one hell of a rant!!! :drinker:

"your cottage cheese *kitten*" made me spit my tea all over the keyboard... :laugh:

Tell us how you really feel! lol
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!

Rewarding yourself with food, thats a good idea. When you go for a run, do you treat yourself by running AWAY from the finish line?

Why did you lose 21 pounds? Did you judge for yourself that it was unhealthy, negative and you needed to lose it? Or did it happen by accident against your will?

This is a website for people who want to change for the better... and indulging in excuses is DISGUSTING. And for those that HAVE already changed.... so is the rest of the behavior he described, if we dont detest it and understand why its so awful, then there's always a risk that we'll fall back into it.

NO. THANK. YOU.

You can defend a gluttonous overindulgent lifestyle all you please, it wont make it healthy, ever.
    I am in love. :love:
  • marz42
    Options
    I'm going on vacation soon and not going to be paying too much attention to what I eat....mostly because i'm going to be camping in a tent and spending half the day walking and it's likely to be so hot I won't *want* to eat very much except grapes. So if the occasional cheeseburger or bowl of butter covered pierogis are in there, I'm not going to worry about it too much. I usually come back 5 lbs down from this trip. I'm hoping all the exercise I've been doing recently will have me in better shape so I can do more walking with less feet hurting than usual. And deal with the $*#)@$*)( hills. Crossing my fingers.

Oddly enough this thread has me wanting to go on a cruise. I just always kind of assumed it's mostly thin people on cruises, and thoughts of me in a bathing suit among a bunch of tanned fit people scared me off. If there really are that many overweight obese people on cruises, perhaps I'll find myself one... and eat moderately from the buffets, and do all the walking swimming and physical things I can stand. Do big boats usually have exercise rooms? It would seem like they must.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's creepy, you're on a cruise looking around, estimating the weight of children. Yikes! Get over yourself!
    Lol, you're making an exaggeration. I estimated one childs weight because he was denied riding with his father because of weight safety limits. Yikes somehow that's totally creepy.........

IDEA Fitness member
    Absolutely. You should completely ignore the obese and pretend like they don't exist! I'm sure THAT would not get you criticized either!

Some people are just full of fail.
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, on a cruise is the food included in the price? If so could see peoples motivation wanting to get maximum value out ticket price.

I do this...therefore I do not go to buffets because I tend to want to eat my "money's worth"
This discussion has been closed.