Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Not so crazy now, is it?!

:huh: :bigsmile:

As a matter of fact.... it is crazy. When you consider that IF that man dropped 100 pounds he should have a new respect for diet and know exactly how much of a lifestyle change he had to make to get there. He would not toss a chunk of his progress to celebrate. And IF HE DID, then he learned NOTHING over that last 100 pounds on how to eat propperly. IF that "I want to pig out" monster is still hiding inside of him and thats what he wants to do, then the weight loss is temporary and he learned nothing.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    THIS IS A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE COME FOR HELP, SUPPORT AND NOT TO BE JUDGED
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    SO STOP FREAKIN JUDGING PEOPLE AND GROW UP
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS
    AND BASH THOSE PEOPLE IS DISGUSTING.
    People come here to lose weight and be healthy, and when people make negative comments about behaviors that will cause them to gain weight and become unhealthy, that is somehow evil and wrong? I am confused. That seems to be more supportive than "It's ok, go ahead and eat 6000 calories in a day, you've earned it" which is exactly the sort of attitude that caused most people to become overweight to begin with. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, and trying to dress it up as capslock-laden righteous indignation doesn't change anything. I wouldn't tell an alcoholic that it's ok to drink as much as they want because they are on vacation, regardless of how well they've done recently. I don't see how telling people with weight problems that it's ok to eat whatever they want is acceptable... just because you feel defense does not give you the right to sabotage others.
    Well stated. I was part of the problem, but I have decided to be part of the solution. I have lost a considerable amount of weight, and I have encouraged others to do the same. I have several very over weight family and friends that I love and am concerned about. To me, my greatest success is to have one of them say to me, "you have inspired me".

Obesity is an individual problem and a national problem. It is an issue that effects all of us. Sugar coating it is not doing any one any favors. That's not judging.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Totally.

I guess people get defensive when they interpret something as being directly aimed at them.

What would solve the problem would be to get rid of all of these 'eat as much as you want' places. It engenders the wrong mentality around food and puts the onus on quantity over quality. Look at our world - there are people literally starving and to the other extreme people eating themselves to death.

Sometimes a bit of tough love IS necessary and it's wrong that things have got to the situation they have regarding how people perceive and consume food. Every situation is different - there are multiple reasons why people make the life choices they do - some are choices and some are indirectly instilled into them from a young and vulnerable age. HOWEVER that doesn't mean that things can't or shouldn't change.

I think the OP was stating an observation and to be honest, lets face it it's - a pretty accurate one. Not saying everyone who goes on a a cruise/all inclusive has this mentality, but if it didn't exist then we wouldn't be having this debate. Plus I think it's good to debate (without getting personal with things of course and hurting peoples feelings). I find it really interesting how people understand diet and nutrition etc.

In our own way we are ALL judgemental - whether we think we are or not. I've been guilty of looking at people and thinking 'how on earth can you eat that?' People will pass judgements on me for other things but there's no point sitting and ruminating on it. For me it's when those behaviours are negatively impacting people in your immediate family or life that it's time to make changes and do something about it. Particularly when thinking about the next generation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    When you point a finger you have three pointing back at you. If you are out on a cruise or dinner or the store mind your own business.

My aunt used to tell me this ALL the time as a kid.

I think the judgemental tone of the OP is pretty sad. I'd certainly never hire someone like that to be my fitness trainer.
    Sorry you feel that way. Again, I haven't judged anyone. I made an observation with an opinion. You don't agree with it. Sometimes that's the best person to hire to get results because a "yes" man will just tell you what you want to hear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    :love: this comment made me smile...the original post to this thread is so judgemental and elitist. I'd rather be friends with a one obese person than have 100 fitness trainer friends "caring" about me....mind your own business.
    Ouch. So I guess I shouldn't send an "add friend" request?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    I like your thoughts :-)

See next post (I forgot to Quote...)
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    If I go on a cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want while I'm there.

For real; I don't see the problem with that. Enjoy yourself! I would. I may not go ape *kitten* but I will enjoy myself.
    I ate whatever I wanted. I had a piece of cheesecake where others would ask for 5 or 6 pieces. Same food, same enjoyment, difference in total caloric intake. That was the point.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS
    Stating what you observe and "bashing" people is different. There was no bashing, you're just disagreeing with the observation.

IDEA Fitness member

You can't have an opinion or an observation. You should know that by now.
    Lol, and of course if I did, then it's gotta be seen as judgmental and discriminatory!

IDEA Fitness member
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options

If I had just lost 100 pounds the LAST thing I would want to do is eat everything in sight...that's a little counterproductive. Especially someone with disordered eating....which is the case with most morbidly obese people.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I don't know. This is a tough one! I was just in France for a trip of a lifetime. The last thing I was going to do was restrict my diet during those two weeks. I gained 5 pounds.

BUT, because I typically eat healthfully otherwise, the 5 pounds melted off within a month of me being home. I didn't even have to try - I was just going back to my regular lifestyle.

To reach my goal I have to kick it into high gear, but I am a believer that as long as you live a healthy lifestyle most of the time, and you stay active on vacation, then you can indulge.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    People come here to lose weight and be healthy, and when people make negative comments about behaviors that will cause them to gain weight and become unhealthy, that is somehow evil and wrong? I am confused. That seems to be more supportive than "It's ok, go ahead and eat 6000 calories in a day, you've earned it" which is exactly the sort of attitude that caused most people to become overweight to begin with. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, and trying to dress it up as capslock-laden righteous indignation doesn't change anything. I wouldn't tell an alcoholic that it's ok to drink as much as they want because they are on vacation, regardless of how well they've done recently. I don't see how telling people with weight problems that it's ok to eat whatever they want is acceptable... just because you feel defense does not give you the right to sabotage others.

*claps*

And with regards to the OP, I also see you child aged around 10 in my neighbourhood who I would estimate around 200lb and the rest of the family are the same. Do I think it's a very sad thing to see, absolutely!! And I don't think it's judgemental to think it's sad that this child is subjected to a lifestyle that will probably give him diabetes by the time he's a teen and quite probably forshorten his life.
    I volunteer for my daughters school on "walk" days (where there's an adult supervised 30 minute walk before school for the kids) and see these elementary kids who are 80lbs and their knees already "bowing" in to support the added weight and my heart drops because I KNOW that if it doesn't change now, that the changes of adult obesity is imminent. Overweight/obese adults usually start out as overweight/obese children as most on here know now.
    These kids really want to play and bond with the others, but gas out after a few minutes of physical activity. To me there's nothing worse than watching a child unable to participate because of being overweight/obese because I know that it's totally fixable. It's just that I can't be the one to fix it for them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been everything from 300+ pounds to a size 5 I totally get where the op is coming from. I remember my thoughts/feelings/emotions/self worth.....at my heaviest and it wasn't a pretty thing. When I look at obese people I feel bad for them. I really feel bad for obese kids who have obese parents. It's a form of child abuse (my opinion, take it or leave it). I hate to see these people stuffing their faces because I understand that feeling and it's a sad thing. I personally hope I never go there again myself. I truly believe overeating/bad eating is a state of mind. Once you conquer your own brain the rest is easy.
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff,
    Have you ever left a chair out on the Kitchen table, and the dog got up there and grabbed like 3 or 4 hamburger patties just as you turn around? You corner the dog and its trying to scarf the food down as fast as it can before you can take it away. While its horking down those patties its simultaniously trying to growl and snarl at you to warn you to get back. Its thinking that it landed a huge score and now you are attacking it trying to take the very thing that it currently loves sooo much. It has no idea you are trying to help it.
    All you are reall trying to do is keep the animal from choking to death or puke all over your house later. You mean no real harm.

Well that is what you have done here: You have attacked the sacred "All you can eat cruise" and now you have several cornered dogs snarling at you while they are horking down their food. Some people dont want help, they just want to be left in the corner horking down their hamburgers as they snarl at you for trying to help them.

I feel your pain, but you cant help those that dont want help.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!

*claps*

And with regards to the OP, I also see you child aged around 10 in my neighbourhood who I would estimate around 200lb and the rest of the family are the same. Do I think it's a very sad thing to see, absolutely!! And I don't think it's judgemental to think it's sad that this child is subjected to a lifestyle that will probably give him diabetes by the time he's a teen and quite probably forshorten his life.
    I volunteer for my daughters school on "walk" days (where there's an adult supervised 30 minute walk before school for the kids) and see these elementary kids who are 80lbs and their knees already "bowing" in to support the added weight and my heart drops because I KNOW that if it doesn't change now, that the changes of adult obesity is imminent. Overweight/obese adults usually start out as overweight/obese children as most on here know now.
    These kids really want to play and bond with the others, but gas out after a few minutes of physical activity. To me there's nothing worse than watching a child unable to participate because of being overweight/obese because I know that it's totally fixable. It's just that I can't be the one to fix it for them.

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly and whilst people are moaning and pointing fingers at you - the fact kids are that big IS the fault of the parents. A five year old doesn't drive himself off to McDonalds does he? Not since last time I checked. There needs to be more parental responsibility about being healthy - losing weight is something you should do of your own volition as an adult, not something a health professional needs to advise for your child!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The summation of...."They ate like they were starving, but by their size they obviously were not" Sorry, but this is so untrue. More obese people suffer from malnutrition than do thin people in this country. Our bodies ARE programmed to eat when we see food. You take someone who is suffering malnutrition and yes, they may gorge, from some primal instinct driven by their hungry body's trying to get the nourishment they need!

Losing weight takes a special combination of factors, for each individual. We are NOT all a like. It isn't just poor diet and lack of exercise that keeps some of us carrying excess fat. For those who can skip a brownie and lose a pound, its hard to understand that not everyone can do that. Its just not that simple.

Our common mainstream medications help to make us malnourished. Looking into the side effects of many medications and you will find many block absorption of nutrients. Heartburn meds are one example. You take an innocent pill to feel better, and it blocks absorption of nutrients. You can eat like a pig, even eating all the 'right nutritious foods' and still suffer from malnutrition, which of course, will lead your body to want to eat more, trying to get the nutrients it needs.

I know a woman that lives on peanut M&Ms, eats greasy burgers and fries daily, never exercises, has little muscle and is very thin. Yet I eat only fresh healthy foods, and carry excess weight. I know a man who walks 10 miles a day, lifts weights, eats very healthy, and yet is 100 lbs overweight. Yet he is healthier than the thin woman, just not so pretty to look at, by society's standards..

One size does not fit all, when it comes to what is a healthy diet and what causes fat storage in a body.

Yes, its sad to see here in an otherwise supportive place, so much judgment. We should not judge until we walked in that persons shoes.....
    Malnutrition and excessive calorie consumption aren't mutually exclusive. It's not hard to find food that high in calorie value but low in nutritious value. Trust me when I say that fruit and salad bar was much more frequented by the fit people on the ship than many kids or overweight people. That is what I observed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff,
    Have you ever left a chair out on the Kitchen table, and the dog got up there and grabbed like 3 or 4 hamburger patties just as you turn around? You corner the dog and its trying to scarf the food down as fast as it can before you can take it away. While its horking down those patties its simultaniously trying to growl and snarl at you to warn you to get back. Its thinking that it landed a huge score and now you are attacking it trying to take the very thing that it currently loves sooo much. It has no idea you are trying to help it.
    All you are reall trying to do is keep the animal from choking to death or puke all over your house later. You mean no real harm.

Well that is what you have done here: You have attacked the sacred "All you can eat cruise" and now you have several cornered dogs snarling at you while they are horking down their food. Some people dont want help, they just want to be left in the corner horking down their hamburgers as they snarl at you for trying to help them.

That is brilliant.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't know. This is a tough one! I was just in France for a trip of a lifetime. The last thing I was going to do was restrict my diet during those two weeks. I gained 5 pounds.

BUT, because I typically eat healthfully otherwise, the 5 pounds melted off within a month of me being home. I didn't even have to try - I was just going back to my regular lifestyle.

To reach my goal I have to kick it into high gear, but I am a believer that as long as you live a healthy lifestyle most of the time, and you stay active on vacation, then you can indulge.
    Which is what I did. So at 6:30am each morning it was gym then run the deck and use the stairs almost all the time (the only times I didn't was when I had a couple of plates of food in my hand going to my room). I did not observe ANY very overweight/obese people walking the deck or in the gym when I was there. Could they have been working out later in the day? Possibly.
    I ate what I wanted (hadn't eaten pizza for a couple of months and had 2 slices) but still kept within a good calorie range. Did I gain weight? Yep, but a little over a pound and a half isn't overdoing it in a week. The average cruiser will put on 1lb a day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff,

Lol, I'm Asian.:laugh: :laugh: If that happened to me with the dog, it would have been lunch!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I hear what you're saying and if it just reaches just one person, then the effort is worth it to me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The average cruiser will put on 1lb a day.

IDEA Fitness member

That kind of blows my mind. Wow. A pound a day is a lot.

It's really all about moderation. And eating only when you're hungry. I mean, I ate all kinds of delicious French butter and cheese - and I drank a whole lot of wine - but I never ate just because "it's mealtime." We only ate when we were hungry which, in France, involved a lot of grazing while walking. Plus, the portions are about 1/3 size of American portions and everything is made from scratch. Maybe that's why it came off so easy.
This discussion has been closed.