Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    totally agreed! It's so sad that some ppl just don't get it or at least don't WANT to get it!
  • Lindaalthea
    Lindaalthea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your signature says you have been in fitness for 28 years so I peaked at your profile and you are 48. I'm gathering that you have never been overweight. You have no idea what lead people to where they are. I can't imagine that you are even a decent trainer with that nasty hateful attitude. Obesity is frequently learned from childhood, a symptom of mental health issues, and can stem from medical issues that YOU my not associate with weight gain. I can GUARANTY that myself and a huge body of research says that YOUR diet is toxic and cancer promoting...GET OVER YOURSELF!
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    When you point a finger you have three pointing back at you. If you are out on a cruise or dinner or the store mind your own business.

My aunt used to tell me this ALL the time as a kid.

I think the judgemental tone of the OP is pretty sad. I'd certainly never hire someone like that to be my fitness trainer.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow! Still a hot topic.

It's interesting that the OP gets fired upon for making observations. While many of you wouldn't notice the behavior of the eating vacationers, the OP would naturally see this. (I am in the dental field. I can't help but notice people's teeth. :bigsmile: )

We can't know what is in the heart of the OP. He could be thinking, "what a bunch of hogs", or more likely, he's thinking he wishes he could coach these people, especially the child. He made a fair observation. Is it more PC to shut up about it? Maybe, but that doesn't help matters either.
  • Nansweetnan
    Nansweetnan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :love: this comment made me smile...the original post to this thread is so judgemental and elitist. I'd rather be friends with a one obese person than have 100 fitness trainer friends "caring" about me....mind your own business.
  • scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    THIS IS A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE COME FOR HELP, SUPPORT AND NOT TO BE JUDGED
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    SO STOP FREAKIN JUDGING PEOPLE AND GROW UP
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS
    AND BASH THOSE PEOPLE IS DISGUSTING.

Very Well Said!
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Not so crazy now, is it?!

:huh: :bigsmile:

That is a really good point! :drinker:

I AGREE!!! My heaviest was 330 lbs. I've lost 100 lbs, but at 5'7" and 230, I'm still overweight.
  • djmccarrell
    Options
    Out of interest, on a cruise is the food included in the price? If so could see peoples motivation wanting to get maximum value out ticket price.

Yes food is included...drinks - NO. I ate what I wanted on the cruise, but I wasn't too impressed with the food. I think I lost weight on the cruise, especially since I walked the length of the ship to get to the food!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Im just wondering after reading comments here and im just throwing this out.....is it generally felt that when people are trying to loose weight that they dont enjoy their food sure if you dont enjoy what you eat all the time then whats the point?If you only eat certain foods for a period of time to loose weight loose it and then go back to what you like it will never work,fresh food cooked from scratch I dont think you can go wrong with for people on the run look up Jamie Olivers 30 minute meals it dosnt have to take hours slaving over a hot stove either,I love food and I like to look for new recipies and experiment as well as using old loved ones too,sure I throw on the odd burger if pushed for time dosnt everyone? evryone should eat to live and eat well not live to eat and survive on trash.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If I go on a cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want while I'm there.

For real; I don't see the problem with that. Enjoy yourself! I would. I may not go ape *kitten* but I will enjoy myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS
    Stating what you observe and "bashing" people is different. There was no bashing, you're just disagreeing with the observation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    Stating what you observe and "bashing" people is different. There was no bashing, you're just disagreeing with the observation.

IDEA Fitness member

You can't have an opinion or an observation. You should know that by now.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    People come here to lose weight and be healthy, and when people make negative comments about behaviors that will cause them to gain weight and become unhealthy, that is somehow evil and wrong? I am confused. That seems to be more supportive than "It's ok, go ahead and eat 6000 calories in a day, you've earned it" which is exactly the sort of attitude that caused most people to become overweight to begin with. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, and trying to dress it up as capslock-laden righteous indignation doesn't change anything. I wouldn't tell an alcoholic that it's ok to drink as much as they want because they are on vacation, regardless of how well they've done recently. I don't see how telling people with weight problems that it's ok to eat whatever they want is acceptable... just because you feel defense does not give you the right to sabotage others.

*claps*

And with regards to the OP, I also see you child aged around 10 in my neighbourhood who I would estimate around 200lb and the rest of the family are the same. Do I think it's a very sad thing to see, absolutely!! And I don't think it's judgemental to think it's sad that this child is subjected to a lifestyle that will probably give him diabetes by the time he's a teen and quite probably forshorten his life.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i have never gained 10 pounds on a vacation in my life. And when i have a treat day or somehting, i have a small amount of a food i enjoy like one serving of it, mainly because i am concerned that i will loss my progress. I am just saying that those people that eat copious amounts of food on their vacation, yes they are in the wrong because its so unhealthy etc, but i just dont think its right to sit around and judge them because you know better now. thats all im saying
    The thing is I felt more for empathy (especially for the 12 year old) since I'm in a job that works with people who are overweight/obese on a daily basis. I'm not judging them because like I stated in an earlier post, if that were the case, why bother working with them? I've posted lots of threads on the possibilities of why people get overweight/obese and how to help avoid them. I just think that some here who have struggled with discrimination about it are looking at this as another discriminative post, when it's not.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I debated on posting.....I hope I don't offend anybody, but here are my views.

I actually wondered if I knew some of the people on the cruise the OP was talking about. If not it was one similar.
    My best friend from college days is married to a very large woman, with no gall bladder, and she is pre-diabetic.
    She refuses to eat right even at home, and at functions makes a big deal like "all bets are off, I'm eating everything!"
    She wound up sick from gorging herself 3 days out of the 4...and the cruise was miserable for my friend because wifey was in the bathroom almost constantly. When my friend mentioned possibly eating lighter so she wouldn't be sick, she made it into a "you hate me because I'm fat" fight. Not that they should have enjoyed a cruise...

I can understand what OP is talking about, and I don't think he's being rude. I think he is just being honest. Let's face it, none of us should use anything as an excuse to gorge ourselves. That's a pattern that got us in the position of being fat and unhealthy.
    Enjoying a holiday is one thing, but gorging because you're on "vacation" is really not healthy.
    I have been VERY guilty of the same thing.
    I have been the person that says "Well, it's ____________, I'm gonna eat whatever I want, and as much as I want."
    I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway. Unfortunately it doesn't end with whatever occasion it is.... It's a slippery slope, one I slid waaaaay down to the bottom on myself...

Now, I might eat something on an occasion I might not eat often (IE: cheesecake!), but I will have one piece and leave it at that, within my goals. This is my lifestyle....and I don't ever want to go back to where I was.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I feel so sad for that 12ish year old boy :(

One of my main reasons for this life change was so I could do all the things I wanted with my two little girls. As haveing a very Large mom myself she missed out on doing a ton of things with me growing up and currently missing out on things now with her grandkids. We all went to a local theme park a few weeks ago and they have double seats on the swing ride my girls each wanted to ride with grandma and well my poor little 38pound 7year old and 33pound 5year old could not fit in the double seat next to grandma :( (grandma also saddly could not pull the bar down all the way in the single seat ) it was heart breaking my mom had to get off the ride infront of everyone and I had to cut threw the line watching to get on with my daughter as she was to small to ride alone.

When on vacation now and I`ve gone on 3 different ones since starting this change (planning to go on another this August 20th) I set my cals to maintain and workout at the hotel early in the morning so that I have a few extra cals for those enjoyment items while away on vacation. The last trip my hubby and I took I actualy came home a pound less :) and still enjoyed good food.
    Congrats! It's tough to just maintain weight on a vacation, and much more to lose on one.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Raise your hand if you feel awesome when you stuff yourself into a diabetic coma!

I never understood why people "can't wait" to do this given whatever excuse. Not that I've never done it myself; I'm not perfect. But as I've gotten older I've realized that everytime I go "off my diet" for a celebretory event and overeat I **really** feel crappy and sluggish and bloated afterward. So I just don't do it anymore.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The summation of...."They ate like they were starving, but by their size they obviously were not" Sorry, but this is so untrue. More obese people suffer from malnutrition than do thin people in this country. Our bodies ARE programmed to eat when we see food. You take someone who is suffering malnutrition and yes, they may gorge, from some primal instinct driven by their hungry body's trying to get the nourishment they need!

Losing weight takes a special combination of factors, for each individual. We are NOT all a like. It isn't just poor diet and lack of exercise that keeps some of us carrying excess fat. For those who can skip a brownie and lose a pound, its hard to understand that not everyone can do that. Its just not that simple.

Our common mainstream medications help to make us malnourished. Looking into the side effects of many medications and you will find many block absorption of nutrients. Heartburn meds are one example. You take an innocent pill to feel better, and it blocks absorption of nutrients. You can eat like a pig, even eating all the 'right nutritious foods' and still suffer from malnutrition, which of course, will lead your body to want to eat more, trying to get the nutrients it needs.

I know a woman that lives on peanut M&Ms, eats greasy burgers and fries daily, never exercises, has little muscle and is very thin. Yet I eat only fresh healthy foods, and carry excess weight. I know a man who walks 10 miles a day, lifts weights, eats very healthy, and yet is 100 lbs overweight. Yet he is healthier than the thin woman, just not so pretty to look at, by society's standards..

One size does not fit all, when it comes to what is a healthy diet and what causes fat storage in a body.

Yes, its sad to see here in an otherwise supportive place, so much judgment. We should not judge until we walked in that persons shoes.....
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I usually don't comment on things but this really bothers me. I have had to deal with people like this my entire life. I am overweight. I am overweight because of several reasons...mainly I overeat and don't exercise enough. I am trying to make a change. The last thing I need is some judgemental person making negative comments like this. What I choose to eat or not eat is my business...and only mine....please keep your insulting judgements to yourself...

This is all well and good..... but don't come out here for support or encuoragement with a "Its my business" attitude. You want it to be your business? Then good luck in your endevor.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Your signature says you have been in fitness for 28 years so I peaked at your profile and you are 48. I'm gathering that you have never been overweight.
    Nope, have been overweight before.
    You have no idea what lead people to where they are. I can't imagine that you are even a decent trainer with that nasty hateful attitude.
    Bad eating habits, lack of knowledge, lack of physical activity, low self esteem and hormonal issues are the usual culprits, so yes I do have an idea. Weight gain isn't very complicated to figure out. And nice STRAWMAN argument. I happen to be a very good trainer who get excellent results with my overweight/obese clients. You're more than welcome to come visit my facility and see.
    Obesity is frequently learned from childhood, a symptom of mental health issues, and can stem from medical issues that YOU my not associate with weight gain. I can GUARANTY that myself and a huge body of research says that YOUR diet is toxic and cancer promoting...GET OVER YOURSELF!
    More strawman. Obviously you don't agree with anything I've posted, so we'll leave it at that.

IDEA Fitness member
This discussion has been closed.