Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Cruise = slow boat full of fatsos over-eating and going no where... pass.

I would rather hike the Adirondacks...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Not so crazy now, is it?!

:huh: :bigsmile:

That is not smart to "celebrate" that kind of weight loss with food that got them there in the first place.

Some of these comments screams "food addiction issues" .

Food should never be used as a reward.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    First off I'm not one of the ones loading up their plates. I prefer a little bit of this and that of things that I can't or don't care to make myself at home to getting everything including a belly ache.

I've worked my butt off (literally) and next time I go on cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want. Obviously my tastes have changed now so it would be mostly healthy selections rather than the fatty and fried stuff but the key is that you can splurge a little bit every now and then especially with the prices you pay to begin with.

Actually last cruise I was on I was running around so much and sight seeing, although I wasn't making healthy choices I probably burned off most of what I ate. What I hate is all the food waste not how much people are eat on a cruise they paid for. That's their business and so are the consequences.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Why are you taking time out of your vacation to worry about what others are doing? You should have just enjoyed your time and kept to yourself/your family. I feel sorry for the twelve year old boy. You were staring at him and estimating how much he weighs. How would you feel if someone did that to you?
    You mean not "notice" what others are doing? Kinda impossible on doing that in everyday life at all. I did enjoy my time and family time and had a blast! Would do it again in a heart beat.
    I felt for the 12 year old also, which is why I mentioned it. I estimated his weight because they were in front of me and DENIED riding together because of WEIGHT LIMIT. So it was just a quick calculation in my head at the time.
    And more people actually came up to me (men) and asked what I do to stay in shape. So I'm sure I was stared at.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Cruise = slow boat full of fatsos over-eating and going no where... pass.

I would rather hike the Adirondacks...

^^^^^ this I have no desire to be stuck on a boat like a sardine in a can! But if I was I would be using the gym

also since the food is inclusive it causes people to over- eat automatically. I was wondering are the drinks inclusive as well?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When you point a finger you have three pointing back at you. If you are out on a cruise or dinner or the store mind your own business.
    Lol, wait I'm in the "health and fitness" business. Looking and observing peoples lifestyles is what I do for "business".

IDEA Fitness member

only when they pay you for it-then it becomes your business!
    You're too defensive here. All I stated was an OBSERVATION. You make it sound as if I've condemned them. Where ANYWHERE did I say I went up to them and said "You shouldn't eat that much/that?" THAT WOULD BE IN THEIR BUSINESS.
    Don't get how some here like to make it sound worse than what the original post really was.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    This whole thread cracks me up.

Everyone is so sanctimonious about not "judging" people. We all notice other people. It's part of being human. Who cares. It doesn't sound like he was staring at people or anything. Or offering his personal training services.

Whether or not someone has been dieting, or not dieting, a vacation doesn't have to be a license to stuff your face full of everything and anything. I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and while I'm definitely going to relax the diet (no tracking, for instance), I'm still going to find time for a quick jog every day. And I'm most definitely not going to treat the thing like an eating competition. The last thing I want is to come home, look in the mirror, and feel bad about my vacation!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    But a bigger question is, why does our healthcare system use a disease model and not a prevention model? Why are lap-band surgeons making so much more money than personal trainers?
    [/quote]
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This whole thread cracks me up.

Everyone is so sanctimonious about not "judging" people. We all notice other people. It's part of being human. Who cares. It doesn't sound like he was staring at people or anything. Or offering his personal training services.

Whether or not someone has been dieting, or not dieting, a vacation doesn't have to be a license to stuff your face full of everything and anything. I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and while I'm definitely going to relax the diet (no tracking, for instance), I'm still going to find time for a quick jog every day. And I'm most definitely not going to treat the thing like an eating competition. The last thing I want is to come home, look in the mirror, and feel bad about my vacation!
    I should have mentioned that we went to St. Maarten/St. Martin and on the French side there is a nude beach. Because of the age of the majority of beach goers there (well into their 60's+)it's probably not the kind of nude beach you may want to go to "observe". Now watch, someone will make a judgment comment.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But a bigger question is, why does our healthcare system use a disease model and not a prevention model? Why are lap-band surgeons making so much more money than personal trainers?
    Lol, which is why I tell people that I'm not in this for the money!!!:laugh: If it were for just the money, I would be training people who were millionaires so I could charge more.
    One of the biggest reasons we fail in healthcare in the US is that it's a FOR PROFIT system. When the ceases to happen, then prevention will be more dominant.

IDEA Fitness member
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Why are people kicking up such a fuss over him having noticed the obvious? It's normal human nature! As if any of you wouldn't notice a 200lb 12 year old...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You seriously think a PT should be paid as much as a medical surgeon? No offense to the PTs but the answer should be obvious.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why are people kicking up such a fuss over him having noticed the obvious? It's normal human nature! As if any of you wouldn't notice a 200lb 12 year old...
    It's usually because the overweight/obese feel judged by others if someone mentions it. I've had it said to me many times that though I look fit and in shape by many, that it's something that they COULDN'T DO and then opine that I probably eat super clean, exercise 4 hours a day, and don't know how to enjoy life (I eat whatever I want, work out about an hour a day and enjoy myself more in a week than people do in a year). Shouldn't people like myself that that as judgmental? Nah, it's just a waste of energy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, on a cruise is the food included in the price? If so could see peoples motivation wanting to get maximum value out ticket price.
    I think this may be one of the reasons for overdoing it on cruises or 'all-inclusive vacations'. Sadly, it's another way our society supports gluttony. folks generally eat much less when they pay for each item. I cannot imagine how much food is wasted.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Having been on both ends of the spectrum, at one point I had a BMI of less than 14 and am now at about 37. I honestly understand just "throwing in the towel" and not thinking about eating healthy. It is very sad when this happens when you have the knowledge and just don't care. (Like I was.) As for children today, too many of them are seriously overweight and have learned no healthy eating patterns because their parents just don't know or don't care. We have also become a society of gamers and children sit inside glued to the t.v. instead of out playing kickball or riding bikes like we used to do. I hurt for these children and I agree that there needs to be more emphasis on nutrition and fitness education.
  • callmebryntax
    Options
    It's usually because the overweight/obese feel judged by others if someone mentions it. I've had it said to me many times that though I look fit and in shape by many, that it's something that they COULDN'T DO and then opine that I probably eat super clean, exercise 4 hours a day, and don't know how to enjoy life (I eat whatever I want, work out about an hour a day and enjoy myself more in a week than people do in a year). Shouldn't people like myself that that as judgmental? Nah, it's just a waste of energy.

IDEA Fitness member

Actually it's probably because this is a website where people who are trying to get in shape/lose weight come to offer support, encouragement and motivation, and a topic like this (whether meaning to or not) can incite others to be... well, less than that. It's just not productive.

The attitude on this site is so overwhelmingly positive and helpful! Doesn't that get more results than "man, look at those poor fatties, with their fat attitudes and their fat plates of fat food"? I think so.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Well, you're wrong. It has to do with me because obesity is a public health problem that costs American tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars a year in the form of medicare, medicaid and emergency room payments for obesity related health problems. So yes, your obesity is my problem and my business because it is costing me money.

Really? Well, I have a few questions for you. Have you had unprotected sex? Do you drink? Ever used recreational drugs? Ever gone scuba diving? Ever gone sky diving? What is your exercise regimen? None of my business you say? Of course it is, I'm a taxpayer!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    When I was fat, I did not want anybody casting negative judgement on my laziness, unsightly appearance or lack of discipline.
    But that is not the way the world works.
    People notice. And they judge.
    It's one thing to be unkind; no excuse for that, but people can't help but notice how fat we are.
    We don't have an epidemic of skinny in American culture but fat.
    People are too fat.
    BUCK UP!
    Don't be so thin skinned about it.
    Just be glad you can't read minds - MY LORD!
    Just think of how offended you'd be then - OUCH! :noway:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Actually it's probably because this is a website where people who are trying to get in shape/lose weight come to offer support, encouragement and motivation, and a topic like this (whether meaning to or not) can incite others to be... well, less than that. It's just not productive.

The attitude on this site is so overwhelmingly positive and helpful! Doesn't that get more results than "man, look at those poor fatties, with their fat attitudes and their fat plates of fat food"? I think so.
    I do a lot of support/information on the site (you should see my inbox) especially to a lot that DON'T post on the boards. IMO, support also should be forthcoming with reality of life and not just the "flowers and roses" side. To pacify people with having hear what they want to hear can be detrimental if done enough. Sometimes just hearing the truth needs to accepted so that some can get over the hump.
    I could say "I feel for these for obese/very overweight people and their view of themselves while they overfill their plates full of food that's very high in calorie value". This is basically the same statement as above but with a more "positive" tact to it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dee2swt
    dee2swt Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree if im on a crusie or vacation I'm going to eat WHATEVER I want. I just know that when vaction is over I going to have to go an extra mile to get back and stay on track
This discussion has been closed.