Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Always reminds me that I think the simple difference between a fat person and thin is the fat person thinks food is fun. vacation to a fat person means more (what they consider) quality food to eat to excess along with alcohol.

Thin (I use this loosely because if I say healthy that opens up a whole can of worms with the fats) looks at a cruise for activities swimming, being active
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    My church has an All-You-Can-Eat picnic @ or around the fourth of July and folks eat like there is no tomorrow and like they have never had a meal. When they get in the parking lot and out of the buses or cars, many run to get the food (the food is served all day from the time we get there to the time we leave). I took a break from going there for three years because I was so saddened by what I saw. And if anyone knows the stats for weight/size within evangelical churches within the United States, you know that obesity runs rampant. In fact I don't seat on the main floor, because I have become sandwiched between two obese folks to where I couldn't not even open a bible and anything because I was squished in-between. Our church seats 5,500 people and with three services a lot of large saints walk through those doors.

But thank G_d there are a lot of Personal Trainers there and they got together to start a fitness program.
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's posts like this which make people who are overweight have extremely low confidence. If you don't know the people in question then it's none of your business what they're eating or what they're not eating. Just because you may not agree with their decisions doesn't mean you get to judge them or put them down.

try sticking to positive thoughts/posts about other people, and if you can't handle that why don't you try and think about only your own choices and journey.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My church has an All-You-Can-Eat picnic @ or around the fourth of July and folks eat like there is no tomorrow and like they have never had a meal. When they get in the parking lot and out of the buses or cars, many run to get the food (the food is served all day from the time we get there to the time we leave). I took a break from going there for three years because I was so saddened by what I saw. And if anyone knows the stats for weight/size within evangelical churches within the United States, you know that obesity runs rampant. In fact I don't seat on the main floor, because I have become sandwiched between two obese folks to where I couldn't not even open a bible and anything because I was squished in-between. Our church seats 5,500 people and with three services a lot of large saints walk through those doors.

But thank G_d there are a lot of Personal Trainers there and they got together to start a fitness program.

Lol - you paint a picture there :)

I find it funny when someone who isn't overweight turns up and pigs out - hence proving slow metabolisms of course!.... No that person eats much less the rest of the time
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    More the reason that we as people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

Just noticed this - couldn't agree more! This coming from somebody who has poor quality of life because of her weight...

Yes, I know what you mean.

At one time I was extremely physically fit and super healthy. Health issues caused my weight gain due to hormone imbalances.

I am making great strides to get back to my old self. It is no fun not being able to to go to the amusement park because you get out of breath and it hurts to walk, bike riding was a challenge amongst other things.

My poor quality of life not only hurt me, but it has hurt my husband and my dogs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    It's posts like this which make people who are overweight have extremely low confidence. If you don't know the people in question then it's none of your business what they're eating or what they're not eating. Just because you may not agree with their decisions doesn't mean you get to judge them or put them down.

try sticking to positive thoughts/posts about other people, and if you can't handle that why don't you try and think about only your own choices and journey.

There was nothing negative about what the OP said.

If speaking the truth is negative, then people expect others to sugar coat everything for them and life is not like that. Sorry.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    As an avid cruiser myself, I wouldn't judge someone like this. The truth is, you have no idea what's been going on in their lives prior to when you see them in the buffet line. Maybe they've already lost a ton of weight and they are celebrating, maybe they've had to save for years to be able to afford this vacation. Personally, if I'm on a once in a lifetime vacation that I might not ever be able to do again, I'm not going to want to spend it eating Ceasar salads every day. Maybe they have something like an underactive thyroid or certain medication that hinders weight loss.

I ate what I wanted on the cruise, in moderation. In fact, I got strange looks when I went up to a buffet and got my slice of tomato and fresh mozzarella as my "appetizer". My breakfasts usually consisted of one eggs benedict and a grilled tomato. I'm sure, comparatively speaking.... I was strange for getting so little. Did I gain weight? Yes. Have I lost it since? Yes, and then some.

People have a right to do whatever they want with their own lives. Yes, there are people out there who are overweight and just don't care. They are working themselves to an early grave, but that is their choice. But just because we see an obese person at a buffet or eating a large portion doesn't mean this is always the case. I personally try to keep to the saying of: Don't judge, lest thou also be judged.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Always reminds me that I think the simple difference between a fat person and thin is the fat person thinks food is fun. vacation to a fat person means more (what they consider) quality food to eat to excess along with alcohol.

Thin (I use this loosely because if I say healthy that opens up a whole can of worms with the fats) looks at a cruise for activities swimming, being active

Personally I don't like to see people gorge themselves whether they are thin, normal or obese weights. It is gluttonous and there is too much of a sense of entitlement.
  • NotGivingUpDammit
    Options
    The main thing that bothers me about people who have unhealthy attitudes about food is that they really aren't making informed decisions most of the time. We are so bombarded by marketing and propaganda from the food industry that it's hard to know what's true about food. Package labeling is deceptive and advertising is very carefully crafted to make you eat as much as possible and in so companies can maximize profits. There are a lot of people who have a vested interest in making sure we don't understand food and ignore the consequences of eating unwisely. Keep people confused and they will say to hell with it and eat what they want.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    As an avid cruiser myself, I wouldn't judge someone like this. The truth is, you have no idea what's been going on in their lives prior to when you see them in the buffet line. Maybe they've already lost a ton of weight and they are celebrating, maybe they've had to save for years to be able to afford this vacation. Personally, if I'm on a once in a lifetime vacation that I might not ever be able to do again, I'm not going to want to spend it eating Ceasar salads every day. Maybe they have something like an underactive thyroid or certain medication that hinders weight loss.

I ate what I wanted on the cruise, in moderation. In fact, I got strange looks when I went up to a buffet and got my slice of tomato and fresh mozzarella as my "appetizer". My breakfasts usually consisted of one eggs benedict and a grilled tomato. I'm sure, comparatively speaking.... I was strange for getting so little. Did I gain weight? Yes. Have I lost it since? Yes, and then some.

People have a right to do whatever they want with their own lives. Yes, there are people out there who are overweight and just don't care. They are working themselves to an early grave, but that is their choice. But just because we see an obese person at a buffet or eating a large portion doesn't mean this is always the case. I personally try to keep to the saying of: Don't judge, lest thou also be judged.

Regardless if someone just eats too much, has a medical condition or has excess weight due to a particular medication - there is no reason to go on vacation and be a glutton.

I am sorry, but that is just making excuses for people.

And everyone is judged.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to bother reading everyone else's responses, as they will probably just make me mad. People like you are the reason people like me don't even like to leave the house. If I was having a "cheat meal", and someone like you saw me, you'd probably think the same thing as you just posted. But I've seen your posts, and I know for a fact that I eat cleaner than you do, and I work out more than you do. I won't always look like this, but I have to continue doing what I'm doing to get the fantastic body hiding under the 3 years of abuse I did to myself. Why don't you worry about your own goals, and stop judging everyone else. You aren't perfect enough to make these kinds of uninformed observations.
    Realize that I was on a ship and could see these people on a daily basis (7 to be exact). It wasn't just a "cheat meal" but more of a "free for all" mentality. And I didn't have to "think" it, I "heard" it stated while walking down the line behind some of them while getting my food.
    And what does the comparison of your eating compared to mine, or your workout regimen compared to mine have to do with the actual post? It sounds more like you're taking this on a personal level when you shouldn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Bobby did hit it in an earlier post. I went to the gym at 6:30am every morning, then ran on deck 4 at least 5 times around (2 miles). This because it's my LIFESTYLE and just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I'm going to toss out my exercise and eating habits. I go on vacation to ENJOY myself and family, new experiences and get away from work.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I don't need to "know them" to know that what they were doing probably wasn't the best thing for them if they are obese/overweight. And again, it was an observation of what I saw and heard, not something I was "looking to do" while on the cruise. You think I wanted to go a a cruise to go and judge how people eat?:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

I agree with this post. I think this whole thread is just an opportunity for people to talk about how grossed out they are about people around them and I don't like those intentions. Who cares about these comments people made in line to enjoy their cruise food? Maybe they really were on diets. Or maybe not. How do we know? Did you ask? So why make this post? So other people could chime in about other obese people they've seen daring to eat in public? I've never been on a cruise. One day I'll be able to afford one and then I'm eating whatever I want.

You are also not obese, so null and void.

Anyway,

Ive been on all inclusive holidays. It is INSANE how much people will eat when they've paid for it advance. Im guessing that most people would never have a 3 course breakfast, lunch AND dinner, yet they do it on all inclusive holidays. THAT right there is just needless, theres a difference between 'eating what you want' and just going overboard (pardon the cruise pun). Why would you go out of your way to eat ridicuous amounts of food...if you enjoy something, have it, but dont have 10 just because its free.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    : All I would have to do to to that would be to go to your local buffet if that was the case and saved a ton of money instead of going on a cruise.

IDEA Fitness member

Also, big lol.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I don't think it's posts like this that cause obese people to have low confidence. We do it to ourselves. We beat ourselves up, we feel guilty about our food choices, it's a vicious cycle. There is no one more judgmental than ourselves.

Posts like this point out the obvious. It's what's happening all over the world, more specifically America. We all didn't get fat because people looked down on us, we got fat because we made poor food choices and didn't move enough.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This whole thread cracks me up.

Everyone is so sanctimonious about not "judging" people. We all notice other people. It's part of being human. Who cares. It doesn't sound like he was staring at people or anything. Or offering his personal training services.

Whether or not someone has been dieting, or not dieting, a vacation doesn't have to be a license to stuff your face full of everything and anything. I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and while I'm definitely going to relax the diet (no tracking, for instance), I'm still going to find time for a quick jog every day. And I'm most definitely not going to treat the thing like an eating competition. The last thing I want is to come home, look in the mirror, and feel bad about my vacation!

Exactly!

My mom was overweight for most of my life until a few years ago when she lost a ton of weight. It was awesome that she did it, and she has kept most of it off (she got way too thin at first and has put back on a few pounds, but is definitely healthy). However, sometimes the things she says to me are downright mean and are totally not helpful. I get it. I'm fat. I'm also working on changing the way that I eat, look at food and incorporate exercise into my life. Encouragement would be great, but on the one hand talking about how fat I am and at the same time making fun of me for not eating cake at a birthday party is totally not helpful at all. Yeah, I know that one piece of cake isn't going to make me fatter right away - but I had decided before the party that I would have a small piece of cake *if* the cake looked totally amazing and special - it was just a regular cake, so I decided that I would pass. I didn't make a big deal of it or even mention it, but I didn't appreciate being "called out" on it either.

Reformed fat people are sometimes the most judgmental people!

**Not saying that the OP was doing that, but it definitely seems like something that happens frequently.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I don't think it's posts like this that cause obese people to have low confidence. We do it to ourselves. We beat ourselves up, we feel guilty about our food choices, it's a vicious cycle. There is no one more judgmental than ourselves.

Posts like this point out the obvious. It's what's happening all over the world, more specifically America. We all didn't get fat because people looked down on us, we got fat because we made poor food choices and didn't move enough.
    Confidence stems from how we view ourselves. Even "thin" people lack confidence. If others peoples' "assumed" views affect how one feels, then it's something they need to overcome by themselves since most people are concerned about their own well being and not others.
    What others do with their own lives is up to them. It will probably not impact my life at all. Personally I don't give a rats *kitten* of how people think about me because if I worried about it so much, I'd be stuck in a world of paranoia. People are going to judge others whether they want to think about that or not. It's up to that individual on how they personally handle it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Wow, some honesty! How refreshing. What's up with people projecting thier own emotional issues on Niner for making an observation?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Wow, some honesty! How refreshing. What's up with people projecting thier own emotional issues on Niner for making an observation?
    It's probably because their view is that EVERYONE that makes an observation like that is discriminatory towards people who are obese/very overweight. Which is far from the truth for me because if I felt that way, I wouldn't even bother trying to encourage or help them at all at my job or on here and just deal with fit people only. I don't take it personally and never will. Lol, I sold vacuum cleaners door to door for 12 years, so what I hear directed toward me here is pretty tame compared to what was said when I did that.:happy:

IDEA Fitness member
This discussion has been closed.