Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    so, the one and only cruise I was on had crappy food. People would literally run me over to get to the buffet. THAT is a blatant observation. Most disregarded the healthier choices of food. That is a blatant observation because the healthy foods were at the front of the buffet and everyone trampled past me like a herd of elephants to get to the other food.

Cool thing was, my cruise didn't push food as much as they pushed all the exercise activities and gym activities.

Gym was never crowded.

go figure.

judge away. I did.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    it really was an observation. and we've all done it in some form or another!

if we haven't done it with food, we've done it with parenting, clothing styles, hairstyles, personalities...whatever the case...

I just have to agree...vacation isn't an excuse for all out gluttony. your mind may know it's vacation, but your physical and mechanical body is still trying to just pump the blood, move the joints, use the knees....it knows of no "vacation" -- in fact, people that throw all good food choices out the window are putting their bodies on anything BUT a vacation. sad but true!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'd agree if the judgemental people felt the same about the 117 lb person stuffing themselves as they do the 250 lb person. But rarely do you ever hear about how gross a skinny person going back for 3rds is while that fat person gets the stares and not quite whispered comments.
    No, people assume the skinny person stuffing themselves is bulemic, and just look around these boards for tons of accusations along those lines. Fat people hate on skinny people all the time... it's the ciiiiiircle of life!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Not so crazy now, is it?!

:huh: :bigsmile:

Exactly what I was thinking. You don't know what kind of "journey" they were on. And we're all on THIS site for a purpose...would've thought judgment would be minimal.
    So watching someone gorge down a whole pizza after losing 100lbs should be okay? Sorry, but I guess we think differently about rewarding vacations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    That "I lost a ton of weight so now I can reward myself by going back to being a glutton" attitude is why so many people have trouble regaining lost weight. That's like a drunk saying "I've been clean for 3 weeks, time to get ****faced!" and someone telling us not to judge them because they used to drink every day!

Wtf people... Let me introduce you to this crazy concept called responsibility, and its twin accountability. Their cousin reality also called, and wants to meet you.
    I'd agree if the judgemental people felt the same about the 117 lb person stuffing themselves as they do the 250 lb person. But rarely do you ever hear about how gross a skinny person going back for 3rds is while that fat person gets the stares and not quite whispered comments.
    You must not watch eating competitions then. :laugh: :laugh:
    You can't compare the two since the 117lbs person probably has an idea how to control their weight if they can eat that much. They probably offset it with a high metabolism or intense exercising.
    For instance, Michael Phelps puts away 10,000 calories a day. I have athletes that can eat 5,000 calories a day to just maintain their weight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    THIS IS A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE COME FOR HELP, SUPPORT AND NOT TO BE JUDGED
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    SO STOP FREAKIN JUDGING PEOPLE AND GROW UP
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS
    AND BASH THOSE PEOPLE IS DISGUSTING.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS

touche :p
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    People come here to lose weight and be healthy, and when people make negative comments about behaviors that will cause them to gain weight and become unhealthy, that is somehow evil and wrong? I am confused. That seems to be more supportive than "It's ok, go ahead and eat 6000 calories in a day, you've earned it" which is exactly the sort of attitude that caused most people to become overweight to begin with. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, and trying to dress it up as capslock-laden righteous indignation doesn't change anything. I wouldn't tell an alcoholic that it's ok to drink as much as they want because they are on vacation, regardless of how well they've done recently. I don't see how telling people with weight problems that it's ok to eat whatever they want is acceptable... just because you feel defense does not give you the right to sabotage others.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    I understand where youre coming from & of course being on a vacation means we have to enjoy everything including the food. However there is a fine line between enjoyment & slacking off. Just because you're on a vacation doesn't give you the license to just eat as much as you want. Have you noticed that a lot of people regain 10 pounds or more after having a vacation because of those stupid excuses?

Clearly you don't understand what the OP is trying to say. He does stated that you have to enjoy the vacation BUT it doesn't give you the license to eat crap as much as you want.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    People come here to lose weight and be healthy, and when people make negative comments about behaviors that will cause them to gain weight and become unhealthy, that is somehow evil and wrong? I am confused. That seems to be more supportive than "It's ok, go ahead and eat 6000 calories in a day, you've earned it" which is exactly the sort of attitude that caused most people to become overweight to begin with. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, and trying to dress it up as capslock-laden righteous indignation doesn't change anything. I wouldn't tell an alcoholic that it's ok to drink as much as they want because they are on vacation, regardless of how well they've done recently. I don't see how telling people with weight problems that it's ok to eat whatever they want is acceptable... just because you feel defense does not give you the right to sabotage others.
    ^^ TOTALLY THIS....
  • skintimate32
    Options
    Good for you! We all deserve a vacation from our lives and our everyday diet/exercise program, but you have to go into it realistically. It's not worth it to throw away everything you've worked so hard for back home. When I go on vacation, I don't expect to keep losing any weight, my goal is just to not gain.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've read a fair few of these comments (admittedly not all) - but I'll throw my two cents in for what it's worth.

I think personally for me, half of the problem ISN'T the fact people are going on holiday or eating what they ordinarily wouldn't in terms of your general everyday diet. The problem is the massive quantities and the way that cruises (and all inclusive holidays) are designed in terms of eating. People also sometimes interpret 'all you can eat' (same with buffet restaurants) as a challenge - it's not about how much you want to eat, but a challenge as to how much can you eat?

In a family environment when you're on holiday with your kids I think it is parental responsibility to encourage healthy attitudes towards food choice and also the amount consumed by their kids. What kid wouldn't opt for burger and fries whenever possible - it doesn't mean that it's ok for parents to say 'yes'.

Two weeks out of 52 is not necessarily going to derail someone who is determined to get healthy. This is part of the reason I can't stand cruises... I prefer to go to the country/ies of my choosing and experience that culture for myself - and not be told when, where or how much to eat. In that sense by being on a cruise you are part of a captive audience.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    ^^ TOTALLY THIS....

Totally agree!
  • mmapags
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!

Wow, you got a couple of things going on here! First you are judging the OPs motives and then saying don't judge. Exactly how does that work?? Judging is ok as long as you are the only one doing it?

Second, I beleive you misread the OPs motives. When I read his post, and knowing him a little, I saw concern not judgement. Ninerbuff is generally a guy who wants the best for others and giives freely of his time to be helpful to others. So, not only did you judge him but I believe you misjudged him.

Third, you seem to be reacting personally to something that was not personally directed at you. Is that the Ops issue or is that the yours?
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!

Wow, you got a couple of things going on here! First you are judging the OPs motives and then saying don't judge. Exactly how does that work?? Judging is ok as long as you are the only one doing it?

Second, I beleive you misread the OPs motives. When I read his post, and knowing him a little, I saw concern not judgement. Ninerbuff is generally a guy who wants the best for others and giives freely of his time to be helpful to others. So, not only did you judge him but I believe you misjudged him.

Third, you seem to be reacting personally to something that was not personally directed at you. Is that the Ops issue or is that the yours?

I laughed when I read your response and it brought back to my memory a statement by a preacher, "If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that barks is the one that got hit." The only problem here is that no rocks were thrown, there was anticipation that one "might" have been, could have been or probably will be thrown in the near future.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, on a cruise is the food included in the price? If so could see peoples motivation wanting to get maximum value out ticket price.

oh yes food IS included! I've done 5 cruises and the first time you just want to eat all the time lol...but after piling on about 7lbs that particular time was a learning curve so now when we go away we really do watch what we eat (but still enjoy alot of food) and we always take the stairs and make sure we do loads of laps round the ship - this time I put on 3lbs and that was in two weeks which although I wasn't pleased about, it wasn't really too bad and I'm working hard now to shift it :)
    The way we look at it is, we have paid for it so we might as well enjoy ourselves and then we get back to being healthier when we get home.
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i have never gained 10 pounds on a vacation in my life. And when i have a treat day or somehting, i have a small amount of a food i enjoy like one serving of it, mainly because i am concerned that i will loss my progress. I am just saying that those people that eat copious amounts of food on their vacation, yes they are in the wrong because its so unhealthy etc, but i just dont think its right to sit around and judge them because you know better now. thats all im saying
  • mmapags
    Options

I laughed when I read your response and it brought back to my memory a statement by a preacher, "If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that barks is the one that got hit."

Love it! I am totally stealing that line. I will credit you if we are present but claim it as my own if you are not! LOL (just kidding on the claiming it)
  • mmapags
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Not so crazy now, is it?!

:huh: :bigsmile:

Exactly what I was thinking. You don't know what kind of "journey" they were on. And we're all on THIS site for a purpose...would've thought judgment would be minimal.
    So watching someone gorge down a whole pizza after losing 100lbs should be okay? Sorry, but I guess we think differently about rewarding vacations.

IDEA Fitness member
    That "I lost a ton of weight so now I can reward myself by going back to being a glutton" attitude is why so many people have trouble regaining lost weight. That's like a drunk saying "I've been clean for 3 weeks, time to get ****faced!" and someone telling us not to judge them because they used to drink every day!

Wtf people... Let me introduce you to this crazy concept called responsibility, and its twin accountability. Their cousin reality also called, and wants to meet you.

Aw, c'mon now whacky! That is so un-PC of you!! Don'tcha know we are all victims??
    It's not my fault, I was born missing the gene that allows me to believe people's bull****... It's like that "metabolism" thing, only instead of making me fat, it makes me a jerk. IT'S NOT MY FAULT IT'S MY GENES!!! I AM A VICTIM, PITY ME!!!
    :PPPPPPPPP

ROFLMAO!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I feel so sad for that 12ish year old boy :(

One of my main reasons for this life change was so I could do all the things I wanted with my two little girls. As haveing a very Large mom myself she missed out on doing a ton of things with me growing up and currently missing out on things now with her grandkids. We all went to a local theme park a few weeks ago and they have double seats on the swing ride my girls each wanted to ride with grandma and well my poor little 38pound 7year old and 33pound 5year old could not fit in the double seat next to grandma :( (grandma also saddly could not pull the bar down all the way in the single seat ) it was heart breaking my mom had to get off the ride infront of everyone and I had to cut threw the line watching to get on with my daughter as she was to small to ride alone.

When on vacation now and I`ve gone on 3 different ones since starting this change (planning to go on another this August 20th) I set my cals to maintain and workout at the hotel early in the morning so that I have a few extra cals for those enjoyment items while away on vacation. The last trip my hubby and I took I actualy came home a pound less :) and still enjoyed good food.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I always go on All Inclusive holidays, it's a good way of budgetting for my family, but I have never just piled my plate up high.

Yes, I do eat what I want, but that doesn't have to mean a gluttonous plate full of everything on the table, there is enough choice to make healthy but delicious choices,
    I think breakfast is the one meal I spurge on, I love omelette or scrambled eggs.
    Lunch is usually fish and salad, and then evening I have meat and veg from the grill.

Despite the extra alcohol I consume, I don't usually gain on holiday due to the extra swimming, activities, walking, runing around with the kids that goes on.

My family often sit there mouths wide open when we see some of the plates coming back, and it's usually the same people meal after meal, day after day.

So no Niner, you aren't the only person who is shocked by the observations.
This discussion has been closed.