Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    "[/quote]

I don't think it's posts like this that cause obese people to have low confidence. We do it to ourselves. We beat ourselves up, we feel guilty about our food choices, it's a vicious cycle. There is no one more judgmental than ourselves.

Posts like this point out the obvious. It's what's happening all over the world, more specifically America. We all didn't get fat because people looked down on us, we got fat because we made poor food choices and didn't move enough.
    [/quote]Confidence stems from how we view ourselves. Even "thin" people lack confidence. If others peoples' "assumed" views affect how one feels, then it's something they need to overcome by themselves since most people are concerned about their own well being and not others.
    What others do with their own lives is up to them. It will probably not impact my life at all. Personally I don't give a rats *kitten* of how people think about me because if I worried about it so much, I'd be stuck in a world of paranoia. People are going to judge others whether they want to think about that or not. It's up to that individual on how they personally handle it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

[/quote]"

##################################################################################################

Obese people do affect others in their daily life, we all do. I have friends in the medical profession who have had to take medical leaves because of injuries from lifting and moving people who were sedated after medical professional, I have two friends who are surgeons and they have had to call in a greater number of people to assist in operations because all that fat around the area that has to be repaired, removed, etc, has to be held back by a multitude of people, increasing the cost of that particular procedure.

Besides getting squished at my church while sitting between two obese people, I have had the unfortunate displeasure to have been within reaching distance when a morbidly obese person fell over, and in their attempt to steady themselves, grabbed at me (around my neck) to stop themselves from falling, they went down and I fell on top of them. They then became angry at me because I didn't keep them from falling. What about me being angry at them because I was on my way to work not expecting to be suited up when I swept the floor when they took me down?

The question I have to ask everyone, if there was an emergency in your town, city, suburb and you couldn't exit your community, house by way of any transportation, could you walk/jog/run to safety? I lived through 9/11 in New York City and when those planes hit the Island of Manhattan was shut down, most people who work in New York City don't live there, NYC is an island, the subways had stopped and the buses that were on the island couldn't drive off, so you walked. Are you functionally fit to put one foot in front of the other to get out of a bad situation and make it home? The question is either a yes, or no. I'm not looking for responses, just answer the question for yourself. And all you US folks, remember Katrinia?
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise this past January. I had started eating healthy after Thanksgiving, and I decided, so what if this is vacation? It doesn't mean I have to gorge myself until I can't walk. I stuck mainly to healthy (vegetarian) options and only splurged a couple of times (ate a small bowl of ice cream and sampled a piece or two of cake). I didn't gain a single pound.

When I decided to get healthy last November, I decided that this is NOT a diet--it is my new lifestyle, and if I can't live my new lifestyle while I'm on vacation, then there is something wrong with it. I am cruising again this coming January, and I have every intention of continuing what I have been doing for the past eight months--including exercising.

^^^ Love this. Sensible attitude that will, no doubt, be successful.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's posts like this which make people who are overweight have extremely low confidence. If you don't know the people in question then it's none of your business what they're eating or what they're not eating. Just because you may not agree with their decisions doesn't mean you get to judge them or put them down.

try sticking to positive thoughts/posts about other people, and if you can't handle that why don't you try and think about only your own choices and journey.

I don't think it's posts like this that cause obese people to have low confidence. We do it to ourselves. We beat ourselves up, we feel guilty about our food choices, it's a vicious cycle. There is no one more judgmental than ourselves.

Posts like this point out the obvious. It's what's happening all over the world, more specifically America. We all didn't get fat because people looked down on us, we got fat because we made poor food choices and didn't move enough.

Wow, some honesty! How refreshing. What's up with people projecting thier own emotional issues on Niner for making an observation?
    It's probably because their view is that EVERYONE that makes an observation like that is discriminatory towards people who are obese/very overweight. Which is far from the truth for me because if I felt that way, I wouldn't even bother trying to encourage or help them at all at my job or on here and just deal with fit people only. I don't take it personally and never will. Lol, I sold vacuum cleaners door to door for 12 years, so what I hear directed toward me here is pretty tame compared to what was said when I did that.:happy:

IDEA Fitness member

I hear you man! But when I see post that say 'post like this MAKE overwieght people have no confidence" or "this is why I don't want to leave the house" it gives you and others a power that you don't posess. You can't MAKE anybody feel or do anything. Everyone is responsible for thier own thoughts, feelings, actions, attitudes and beliefs. The sooner one take personal responsibility for these things, the quicker the road is to improvement. I saw your original post as having a certain amount of concern and empathy for those that make poor choices. I still see it that way despite all the projecting that has gone on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Obese people do affect others in their daily life, we all do. I have friends in the medical profession who have had to take medical leaves because of injuries from lifting and moving people who were sedated after medical professional, I have two friends who are surgeons and they have had to call in a greater number of people to assist in operations because all that fat around the area that has to be repaired, removed, etc, has to be held back by a multitude of people, increasing the cost of that particular procedure.

Besides getting squished at my church while sitting between two obese people, I have had the unfortunate displeasure to have been within reaching distance when a morbidly obese person fell over, and in their attempt to steady themselves, grabbed at me (around my neck) to stop themselves from falling, they went down and I fell on top of them. They then became angry at me because I didn't keep them from falling. What about me being angry at them because I was on my way to work not expecting to be suited up when I swept the floor when they took me down?

The question I have to ask everyone, if there was an emergency in your town, city, suburb and you couldn't exit your community, house by way of any transportation, could you walk/jog/run to safety? I lived through 9/11 in New York City and when those planes hit the Island of Manhattan was shut down, most people who work in New York City don't live there, NYC is an island, the subways had stopped and the buses that were on the island couldn't drive off, so you walked. Are you functionally fit to put one foot in front of the other to get out of a bad situation and make it home? The question is either a yes, or no. I'm not looking for responses, just answer the question for yourself. And all you US folks, remember Katrinia?
    It's funny that you mentioned it, but a year ago we had a seminar in my Wellness Center on how being very overweight/obese EVEN THOUGH they aren't suffering from health ailments now, may be their demise in an emergency. If there was a fire in a lower level of a building, and one had to climb stairs to avoid it, could they do it? Or to avoid danger fast enough from an oncoming vehicle by running away from it? Excess weight will definitely have an impact on saving one's life if it came down to it. Really the only time it would be a plus is if you were stranded on a deserted island with no food.

IDEA Fitness member
  • NotThePest
    Options
    niner, the subway line I take is underground except for the last five stops where it comes up from the ground to above the ground. One summer the thing that sticks out on the bottom of the train car which touches the third-rail, was loose on one of the cars and it took out the third rail further down the line where the train is underground. My subway line has only two tracks, one for each direction, and unless you are at a transfer station, you are stuck. You can exit the station, if you are near a station and not in the tunnel, but either way, you will have to walk, walk and do more walking. Transit managed to turn the electricity on for the last four stations that are above ground but you would have to take other trains, the famous "A" train, the "C", the "J" and/or the "Z" train (this was rush hour in the evening so those trains are already packed with their own folk).

Remember I said Transit could only get the last four stations electrified, the fourth, the transfer point, folks had to get off the train and walk to that fourth station. I was praying for the cop that was given the assignment to tell the passengers they had to walk to the next station because he was being called every name in the book except the one his momma gave him. The cop didn't break the third rail but he was getting the brunt of many peoples anger. Granted not everyone reacted badly, in fact most just turned around and began walking, but those, those heavy weights, the ones who had their bibles out reading in the morning while they rode to work, confused blessing someone with cursing them out. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would have been funny.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If I go on a cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want while I'm there.
    Me too, but what I actually want to eat probably isn't the same as what you want to eat...

Bon voyage, be sure to bring a nosebag for your high horse.

LOL
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    niner, the subway line I take is underground except for the last five stops where it comes up from the ground to above the ground. One summer the thing that sticks out on the bottom of the train car which touches the third-rail, was loose on one of the cars and it took out the third rail further down the line where the train is underground. My subway line has only two tracks, one for each direction, and unless you are at a transfer station, you are stuck. You can exit the station, if you are near a station and not in the tunnel, but either way, you will have to walk, walk and do more walking. Transit managed to turn the electricity on for the last four stations that are above ground but you would have to take other trains, the famous "A" train, the "C", the "J" and/or the "Z" train (this was rush hour in the evening so those trains are already packed with their own folk).

Remember I said Transit could only get the last four stations electrified, the fourth, the transfer point, folks had to get off the train and walk to that fourth station. I was praying for the cop that was given the assignment to tell the passengers they had to walk to the next station because he was being called every name in the book except the one his momma gave him. The cop didn't break the third rail but he was getting the brunt of many peoples anger. Granted not everyone reacted badly, in fact most just turned around and began walking, but those, those heavy weights, the ones who had their bibles out reading in the morning while they rode to work, confused blessing someone with cursing them out. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would have been funny.
    Lol, on my cruise there were times that the elevators were packed and some chose to climb the stairs to get to their rooms or desired floors (I practically took the stairs at every opportunity) and to see some of them huff and puff after just a couple of flights just let me know that we're slowly letting physical fitness be a low priority in our lives.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hate that you feel you can decide what people should be doing. I've lost 40 lbs but I'm still overweight. If you saw me you could assume I eat hohos and deep fried cheeseburgers all day and never move off my couch. But if I was on a cruise I'd probably eat a ton. I also realize there's a limit to how much you can eat in the few days you are on a cruise, and no one became obese because they are crappy for three days. If someone puts a chocolate buffet in front of me, I'm going to eat it. But I won't install a chocolate buffet in my kitchen when I get home.
  • jennla32
    jennla32 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Not so crazy now, is it?!

:huh: :bigsmile:

Exactly what I was thinking. You don't know what kind of "journey" they were on. And we're all on THIS site for a purpose...would've thought judgment would be minimal.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It's posts like this which make people who are overweight have extremely low confidence. If you don't know the people in question then it's none of your business what they're eating or what they're not eating. Just because you may not agree with their decisions doesn't mean you get to judge them or put them down.

try sticking to positive thoughts/posts about other people, and if you can't handle that why don't you try and think about only your own choices and journey.

Wow, some honesty! How refreshing. What's up with people projecting thier own emotional issues on Niner for making an observation?
    It's probably because their view is that EVERYONE that makes an observation like that is discriminatory towards people who are obese/very overweight. Which is far from the truth for me because if I felt that way, I wouldn't even bother trying to encourage or help them at all at my job or on here and just deal with fit people only. I don't take it personally and never will. Lol, I sold vacuum cleaners door to door for 12 years, so what I hear directed toward me here is pretty tame compared to what was said when I did that.:happy:

IDEA Fitness member

I hear you man! But when I see post that say 'post like this MAKE overwieght people have no confidence" or "this is why I don't want to leave the house" it gives you and others a power that you don't posess. You can't MAKE anybody feel or do anything. Everyone is responsible for thier own thoughts, feelings, actions, attitudes and beliefs. The sooner one take personal responsibility for these things, the quicker the road is to improvement. I saw your original post as having a certain amount of concern and empathy for those that make poor choices. I still see it that way despite all the projecting that has gone on.

You try going for a walk in your scummy town and people threaten to run you over because they don't think that you coudl run from the car. After a while, it makes you feel anxious.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Honestly, I hate that you feel you can decide what people should be doing. I've lost 40 lbs but I'm still overweight. If you saw me you could assume I eat hohos and deep fried cheeseburgers all day and never move off my couch. But if I was on a cruise I'd probably eat a ton. I also realize there's a limit to how much you can eat in the few days you are on a cruise, and no one became obese because they are crappy for three days. If someone puts a chocolate buffet in front of me, I'm going to eat it. But I won't install a chocolate buffet in my kitchen when I get home.
    I DON'T decide what people should do. I "suggest" it. It's up to them to decide what they do. If I saw you gorging yourself on food like there was no tomorrow, I would assume that it's not that much of a concern to you on how much weight you put on.
    Realize that people don't get heavy from eating enough or eating too little. They get that way from overconsumption and watching people overconsume would lead me to believe that they haven't figured out a lifestyle that they can live with yet.
    Habits take time to change and the way people eat is habitual.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Exactly what I was thinking. You don't know what kind of "journey" they were on. And we're all on THIS site for a purpose...would've thought judgment would be minimal.
    So watching someone gorge down a whole pizza after losing 100lbs should be okay? Sorry, but I guess we think differently about rewarding vacations.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You try going for a walk in your scummy town and people threaten to run you over because they don't think that you coudl run from the car. After a while, it makes you feel anxious.
    What happens in your town doesn't happen everywhere.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    if I was on a cruise, I wouldn't be worrying about what other people are doing-I would be enjoying myself!

This.

I would leave my judges robes at home.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm always just flabbergasted (I love that word) when I see MORBIDLY obese people talking about diets and whatnot.

If they were really wanting to stick with it permanently, they'd be doing it on the cruise too. Eat when you enjoy, yes. Don't be picky. Eat dessert! But portion control should still play a factor. Enjoy the food and don't cut anything out, but if you're on a cruise that typically lasts for 7 days or more, then there's plenty of time to try a little bit of everything throughout your stay. That's 3 meals a day, plus snacks, plus booze (I'm sorry - when I go on a cruise, I plan to have me some alcohol!). Plenty enough to eat already without gorging at every single meal.

My aunt recently got married in Disneyland, and her and her two kids are all morbidly obese. They were saying the same things - I don't care what I eat, the diet is out the window, etc. I'm like...honey, you and your kids can't afford to be eating this crap.

And then I was the one who got the weird looks for exercising every night! Lol.

At the same time, as much as we shake our heads, there's obviously a huge problem in society in regards to food. A lot of people have a binge eating disorder, and putting them in a room with hundreds of other people stuffing their faces at an all-you-can-eat buffet is like putting an alcoholic in a frat house during a party. It's really not fair to them. Yes, you could argue about choice and whatnot, but really, at the end of the day, it's a disease.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options

I HOPE THIS WAS THE CASE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NotThePest
    Options
    In ALL THINGS, not some things, not half of things, but in all things moderation. You cannot live on "diet" you have to live on lifestyle. Change is the key. And change ain't change until it's changed.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    if I was on a cruise, I wouldn't be worrying about what other people are doing-I would be enjoying myself!

This.

Who said I was worrying? It was an OBSERVATION. And I doubt if anyone leaves their "judges robes" at home. They just don't admit they judge (whether good or bad).

IDEA Fitness member
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This.

So how about practicing what you preach? Or is it your job to judge Niner. How are you any different or even worse that what you accuse him of. He was in some situations where he could not avoid these people. You certainly could have avoided this thread if it bothered you. Hypocritical much?
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options

This.

So how about practicing what you preach? Or is it your job to judge Niner. How are you any different or even worse that what you accuse him of. He was in some situations where he could not avoid these people. You certainly could have avoided this thread if it bothered you. Hypocritical much?

where did I say anythjng about niner? Show me where I said one word about the OP . I agreed with someone's post which did not say crap about OP and made a statement about MYSELF. It was You who chose to screw directly with me.
    Kiss off.
This discussion has been closed.