Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't judge adults who are over weight, I don't know them, I don't know their situation or other potential health issues etc. BUT It does make me sad when I see children starting out as obese and learning those habits from their families.. I don't like for my eating to be judged, I don't judge others for what they eat... yesterday I had cake for lunch... healthiest choice? NO but it was a bday party n I'm here to be healthier, not to stop enjoying family celebrations and I had a moderate portion. Again.. I'm not here to judge anyone, if I don't like someone's food choices then I won't adopt those choices as my own, other than that, it's none of my business.
  • JEZ112
    JEZ112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To atrjohnson: My family history is very similar to yours and I cannot even begin to tell you how tiresome it is to listen to the "social darwinists" who want to paint everyone with the same brush. Each person is on their own journey and far be it from me to judge or even pretend to know what is going on in that journey. Shame on you, fitness professional....
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    To atrjohnson: My family history is very similar to yours and I cannot even begin to tell you how tiresome it is to listen to the "social darwinists" who want to paint everyone with the same brush. Each person is on their own journey and far be it from me to judge or even pretend to know what is going on in that journey. Shame on you, fitness professional....
    And he drinks diet sodas which is another source of shame.
    :smokin:
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If I go on a cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want while I'm there.
    Me too, but what I actually want to eat probably isn't the same as what you want to eat...

Bon voyage, be sure to bring a nosebag for your high horse.
  • JEZ112
    JEZ112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    Everyone is on their individual journey toward health. I pay no attention to the comments of others because I know that their journey is not mine and vice versa. My grandmother lived to be 96 and she was 250lbs. She was never ill. My great grandmother was 200lbs and she died at 103. She was never ill. My father has been an athlete all of his life and never overweight. He is diabetic and at one point was insulin dependent. I am old enough to know that people have to find their own way and my thoughts about it do not matter. When people are ready they will make a change. When they are not ready, they will remain stagnant.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Speaking of children and their parents raising them in an unhealthy way. I was at the store the other day and took my daughter to the bathroom. There were two of those automatic riding carts parked there. A kid, maybe around 11 years old comes skipping out of the bathroom and goes and sits on one, he was horribly overweight for his height and age his mother, who was also very big, took the other one. All I could think was; aren't those things for people who are hurt or can't be on their feet for too long? I just can't stand when I see something like that and somebody else is hobbling around the store on cruches because there are no more carts to ride. And I can't help but feel that that is the attitude that got that person so big in the first place. Doesn't even want to push a cart around the store for 20 minutes.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    When you point a finger you have three pointing back at you. If you are out on a cruise or dinner or the store mind your own business.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Food police, much? :)
    They said it because you were listening. And they felt bad and they wanted to eat because that's what makes them feel better and they haven't gotten to the point you are in thinking "this is crazy, just stop". Don't stare. It's rude. I was obese because my heart was broken and I was filling the gap with food, glorious food. Don't break someone's heart more than it is already by judging them.

Also. Food tastes good. It tastes damn good. I had a bite of chocolate cake today - but I was sure to tell the people around me that I am aware I am making a bad choice and that the diet is back on tomorrow! Didn't care, had cake.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't know, maybe I am self centered but I pay no attention to what others are saying or eating anywhere I go. First off, it's none of my business and secondly I have quite enough of my own things to worry about without judging the decision making of others unless it impacts me directly.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes you are all right, it is none of my business, and I don't say anything. I don't know their story, but I still have my thoughts, and whether anybody likes it or not I'm not going to stop my brain from reasoning through a scene happening in front of me.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    OY! I agree with you. I don't think vacations are an excuse to let your diet completely slip into oblivion. It's a place to relax, enjoy nice food, but don't go "overboard".

I think most health-conscious people would just enjoy the fact that on a cruise the food is prepared for them and they don't have to make the effort. I wouldn't see it as a free-for-all. Yeah, I'd indulge in a treat here or there, but wouldn't go hog-wild.

It's all in the mind-set. Life-style vs. diet.

^^This^^

As a formerly morbidly obese person, I find that making excuses to over-indulge is what got me into my original predicament to begin with. My health doesn't care if I'm on a cruise. I'm in this to be healthy, not diet. I want to lead by example, not show my children that it's okay to over eat for a week because the trip was expensive. I want to show them how you can still eat healthy while being away from home and being faced with tempting circumstances.

For me, If I was faced with the same circumstances I would be concerned and saddened. Concerned for the health of the people convincing themselves that it's okay to eat that way and saddened because they don't realize how much better life is when you pass on the extra helping and go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

This. And I did not get from the OP that he was being judgmental or trying to start a thread just to smack talk. I have lost weight and gained it back more than once. I am now on my 3rd weight loss attempt in 6 years. What made me gain it back each time is allowing the excuses to come back up. Once I hit my goal, i stop monitoring everything that goes in my body, and allow myself more indulgences than I did when I was dieting. Now that I am here, again, I fully understand the difference between diet and changing your life. Thats what I think this post speaks to. Yes you have to indulge some in your life, in moderation. And yes, if you are on vacation you can let yourself indulge a little more than you normally would if you were just at home. But that is not an excuse for a free for all. It is sad that so many people in this country are obese, and honestly I tihnk its sad that we aren't allowed to talk openly about it without being attacked for being bullies. If a smoker that had lung damage said, oh im on vacation I am going to smoke as much as I want, then back to no smoking next week, would that be ok? Would people be defending that person? I doubt it.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I find it simply amazing in society that apparently fat-ness is the one last beacon that we feel that we are able to judge people on. Although it used to be race or sex, since this is simply inappropriate many people maintain it is okay to judge people based on their size. As a formerly morbidly obese person, I know that I got that way because of a poor choices, but mostly because of my complete lack of exercise. Having completely revamped my life to include much more physical activity, I do feel that this allows me a bit more "laxity" when it comes to whatever diet or food choices that I choose. But then again, I also dont assume that people are watching what I choose to eat because it is absolutely no ones business but my own.

I recently returned home from a 7 day running camp. We ran 3-5 miles in the morning, than sat and listened to speakers about running, and went for a strenous 1-2 hour hike in the afternoon. I did glance around the table to see what the other healthy-weight runners were eating compared to me, worried someone that someone was going to point and laugh. And what I noticed, for the most part is that people ate until full ... and then stopped. And almost everyone had a little dessert with lunch and dinner.

I lost 3.5 pounds during that week ... and I have to admit I do believe that within reason a fit and active lifestyle can cancel out a few less than stellar dietary choices. You notice I said within reason ... but hey the proof is on the scale my friends!

:)
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I find it simply amazing in society that apparently fat-ness is the one last beacon that we feel that we are able to judge people on. Although it used to be race or sex, since this is simply inappropriate many people maintain it is okay to judge people based on their size.

Nah, I judge people on their smoking instead :smile:
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    I didn't read every post in this thread, but I did want to address the point a number of people made that "if it's not you or your spouse or your kids it's none of your business and has nothing to do with you and you should butt out."

Well, you're wrong. It has to do with me because obesity is a public health problem that costs American tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars a year in the form of medicare, medicaid and emergency room payments for obesity related health problems. So yes, your obesity is my problem and my business because it is costing me money.

Before anyone decides to crucify me or call me judgmental, I think the same thing about smoking so I'm not just being prejudiced to obese people.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Race and sex isn't something that we choose, we're born that way. :) Smoking, drugs, food...these are all choices that people make in their lives. Of course there's lot's of variables, such as being raised in an obese family, and never learning to eat healthy, but at the same time, people that are abused in their childhood and turn into serial killers aren't given a pardon because they didn't know any better.

My point is, it's not that I'm judging them (just speaking for myself) it's that I empathize with them. I know how hard it is, to say no, to start on this journey, to stop convincing yourself that it doesn't matter that you're fat, that you're happy being this size. I've said it all to myself, on many of occasions, for many years. So now that I've finally, finally made the choice to be healthy or healthier :) it's hard for me to see other people not doing the same thing. I want to shake them and tell them, start today. Don't make the excuses, you have no idea how much happier you'll be!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. As a smoker for a long time trying to quit, you should hear the Smack that people talk, RIGHT TO MY FACE. Total strangers. Telling me that I am killing myself and lilling the people around me.
    This is OK, but God forbid you tell a morbidly obese person that they need to buy two seats on a plane, or something like that. Then we are insensitive BULLIES.

Big time double standard there.

And yes, I was fat and lost weight. And even when I was fat, I would look at FATTER people than me, and in my own head, or to my wife, I would judge them. Damn right. Just like I was/am judged on my smoking.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Was the food good?

On a cruise..the food is pretty awesome. :)

Unless you go on Carnival, their food was gross! I guess that's what we got for going on a cheap cruise lol
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would say there's only one thing you shouldn't do in these situations and that's binging. If your full up stop eating, especially if your going to choose the high calorie foods.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Was the food good?

On a cruise..the food is pretty awesome. :)

Unless you go on Carnival, their food was gross! I guess that's what we got for going on a cheap cruise lol
    Note to self : Angel, If you ever get the oppurtunity to go on a cruise , go on a cheap one so you aren't as likely to over eat.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    how old were they??? my aunt and uncle, both raised by Depression Era parents, stuff their faces when there is free food simply because that's how they were raised, and it's a harder habit to break than smoking. They will go on a cruise and pack a ton of clothes because by the time they head home, they are 2 sizes larger. Sadly, food is all they really have in common. Neither have a hobby and both are retired. They are aware of the health issues and will lose the "cruise weight" within a month. I chalk it up to "to each his own". I personally think it's sad, but it's their lives.
This discussion has been closed.