Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that a fitness professional who found himself in a position to need to lose weight is so judgmental of others. You don't know any of those people, or any of their situations.

And if I'm not married to (or partnered with) them or parenting them, it's none of my damned business what anyone else is eating.
    Lol, where was I judgmental? It was an observation. If you did read I did say "assumption" in my post.
    And apparently you don't have much knowledge of "bulking" phases in bodybuilding, hence why I use the site to lose weight to get "cut".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If I ever get lucky enough to go on a cruise, I will def eat what I want, but I'm hoping that what I want will be all the right choices and not over eat and stuff down my throat because it's there. Not to mention I love seafood so as long as it's broiled, baked or boiled I'm up for it.
  • riley_ransom
    Options
    people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

Don’t you think that we know that? I am “OBVIOUSLY” one of those “obese” (formerly morbidly obese) “and very overweight” people that enjoyed my dinner on my 2 week cruise in June. I was careful what I ate for breakfast and most of my lunches (some were on shore excursions that included local meals) but I fully enjoyed my dinners and ate what I thought was the most interesting (a lot of fish and seafood, however with rich sauces) as well as deserts.

Personally, I’m only concerned about my own weight and health problems as well as those of my wife, not that of others, because I don’t know their mindset or circumstances.

By the way, I gained one pound on my cruise.

I agree with this post. I think this whole thread is just an opportunity for people to talk about how grossed out they are about people around them and I don't like those intentions. Who cares about these comments people made in line to enjoy their cruise food? Maybe they really were on diets. Or maybe not. How do we know? Did you ask? So why make this post? So other people could chime in about other obese people they've seen daring to eat in public? I've never been on a cruise. One day I'll be able to afford one and then I'm eating whatever I want.

yes!!!
    I'll be going on a cruise in august and will def be eat anything and everything
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    When you point a finger you have three pointing back at you. If you are out on a cruise or dinner or the store mind your own business.
    Lol, wait I'm in the "health and fitness" business. Looking and observing peoples lifestyles is what I do for "business".

IDEA Fitness member
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Why are you taking time out of your vacation to worry about what others are doing? You should have just enjoyed your time and kept to yourself/your family. I feel sorry for the twelve year old boy. You were staring at him and estimating how much he weighs. How would you feel if someone did that to you?
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I didn't read every post in this thread, but I did want to address the point a number of people made that "if it's not you or your spouse or your kids it's none of your business and has nothing to do with you and you should butt out."

Well, you're wrong. It has to do with me because obesity is a public health problem that costs American tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars a year in the form of medicare, medicaid and emergency room payments for obesity related health problems. So yes, your obesity is my problem and my business because it is costing me money.

Before anyone decides to crucify me or call me judgmental, I think the same thing about smoking so I'm not just being prejudiced to obese people.
    Yep. I'm a nurse on a medical - surgical floor, and the vast majority of the patients that I see are obese and/or abuse nicotine, drugs, and/or alcohol. These people frequently go home and return to old habits and come right back to the hospital. You know how much Medicare and Medicaid pay the hospital if someone returns to the hospital within 30 days with the same diagnosis? NOTHING. I believe that obesity and smoking are two factors that are driving health care and insurance expenses up. We are all paying for it.
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    When you point a finger you have three pointing back at you. If you are out on a cruise or dinner or the store mind your own business.
    Lol, wait I'm in the "health and fitness" business. Looking and observing peoples lifestyles is what I do for "business".

IDEA Fitness member

My daughter is a hair stylist and she points out bad hair all the time..LOL
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

only when they pay you for it-then it becomes your business!
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    I didn't read every post in this thread, but I did want to address the point a number of people made that "if it's not you or your spouse or your kids it's none of your business and has nothing to do with you and you should butt out."

Well, you're wrong. It has to do with me because obesity is a public health problem that costs American tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars a year in the form of medicare, medicaid and emergency room payments for obesity related health problems. So yes, your obesity is my problem and my business because it is costing me money.

Before anyone decides to crucify me or call me judgmental, I think the same thing about smoking so I'm not just being prejudiced to obese people.

Even with that being said, it's still non of your business. Sorry, I don't think you have the right to decide what's right or wrong for others.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If i am on vacation i will atleast try to stay within my Calorie limit

25438163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that a fitness professional who found himself in a position to need to lose weight is so judgmental of others. You don't know any of those people, or any of their situations.

And if I'm not married to (or partnered with) them or parenting them, it's none of my damned business what anyone else is eating.

I totally Agree
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eh, this is simple to me. Sounds like two people who are unhappy with their lives so they need to poke at other people to make themselves feel better...
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Eh, this is simple to me. Sounds like two people who are unhappy with their lives so they need to poke at other people to make themselves feel better...

what two people? you lost me, LOL
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I hear & see people say stuff like that all the time...It makes me sad, actually. I just want to go up to them & be like "put the fork down...you're just killing yourself...stop" Wish more people could realize that & make a positive life change.

On a side note...why are people getting upset with this post? I don't think she was sticking her nose in anyones business at all...Just making an observation...Love how easily insulted people get on here. Grow up, folks (& thats coming from a 21 year old...).
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

But the problem is you don't know who specifically will be the person who costs so much money. You're looking at the aggregate, not individuals. So you cannot know with certainty that the individual in front of you is one of "those people."

But a bigger question is, why does our healthcare system use a disease model and not a prevention model? Why are lap-band surgeons making so much more money than personal trainers?
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I read threw the first page of comments. For me personally and only me. I no longer go to "all you can eat" or fast food joints. Those are the places I have seen people most like me Morbidly obese. I assume me being there is adding to MY problem. So I no longer attend. That being said. I went on vacation to see a friend in S.C. We made one trip to the Waffle House, we do not have those here (total calorie ct 650). If I eat frozen waffles at home, I put peanut butter on ONE. I did notice at the waffle house there was a mix of people, not majority of obese. I am working on losing 122 lbs. I lost 2 lbs on my week trip. I might add, I drank alot of home made wine. lol But I ate the way I eat at home. When I go visit my In laws in sept. I will eat the way I eat at home. That will mean going grocery shopping the day after we arrive. In Laws eat way differant then my husband I have decided to eat. I will take my measureing cups and scale. This is the way I choose to eat. How other people begin or move along their journeys doesnt affect me. I need to take care of following my own road map. Thanks for the rant.
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    I went on vaca, well sorta and did all the cooking for us,. and my parents and anyone else who came to visit and I still lost weight.. Losing while on vaca isn't that hard. You just have to want it bad enough to make the right choices.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Just wanted to add, I really thank a friend who turned my and hubby on to MFP so we could begin our journey. We have done really well. If he had minded his own business, I would still be lost. I knew for me the only way to loose weight was to keep track of my calories. Done so much easier with MFP. Hubby had never found anything to help him. He broke his 1st goal. He dropped under 200 lbs. So thank you Friend for not minding your own business. As for total strangers, i agree MYOB.
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So what if the people on the cruise were over eating? It is ultimately their bodies and their choices. And as many before me have said, we don't know their situation. Maybe they just recently started their weight loss journey. Or maybe they just don't know how to make good choices when faced with some much opportunity for failure at hand.
    I am new to this myself. And it took me until age 44 to decide to reverse this process. I know that it will take me years to get healthy and fit. And there may be mis-steps along the way. But I feel like it is my journey to take. One of the things that has always held me back is not wanting others to "TELL ME" what to eat or do. I am a little stubborn that way. So, while I understand the frustration the initial poster may have experienced in see these other vacationers, ultimately each of us has to make our own decisions.
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Options
    Maybe they ARE on a diet and you don't know it. For all you know, they've already lost 75 pounds and were "throwing their diet out the door" for the week they were on the cruise.

I dunno. I can see why you'd think that but you never know someone else's story.
This discussion has been closed.