guns or no guns?

Options

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Anti gun.

As a Canadian Brit I am not surprised at the number of pro-gun responses. But as guns are not as big a part of Canadian culture I don't have an understanding as to why Americans think they are so necessary.

What if a private citizen in the Aurora movie theatre was armed with a gun and started shooting back and adding to the chaos? How do law enforcement sort criminals from those just joining in because they have the right to bear arms?

The average person on the street has absolutely no need for a fully automatic assault rifle with a fifty round magazine! At best, individuals should be limited to a small handgun.

IMHO.

To set the record straight fully automatic rifles have been illegal since the 1930's unless you are able to obtain a class III firearms permit which is extremely hard to come by.

Just as quickly as you can put a clip in a gun and pop off 40 rounds, i can load two perfectly legal guns with a clip of 20 rounds each. I do have two hands! *gasp* .... its not the automatic rifle that is the problem.. its the psycho who uses it.

well mental health issues are going to be around forever.....
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Remember your words if you or your family are ever the victims of violent crime. It may not be very likely to happen, but if it does, your lives can be shattered in an instant. Some of us choose to be prepared for that possibility.

Have you given any though as to how you would deal with the emotional fallout? Say Johnny Crackhead breaks into your house to steal you PlayStation and you put a bullet in his head. How do you live with that?

How do you live with the emotional fallout if said situation was. Johnny crackhead breaks into your house, and rapes and kills your wife while you have no way to protect you or your family as you were not prepared in the slightest.

^THIS^ I would never WANT to kill/hurt someone, HOWEVER, if it's between them or my family...my family will always come first and I would not think twice about protecting them. How would I feel if someone broke into my home and I shot and killed them rather than them hurting my family? I would feel pretty damn good that I was able to save my family, thankful that I had that gun.
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Pro.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    [

To set the record straight fully automatic rifles have been illegal since the 1930's unless you are able to obtain a class III firearms permit which is extremely hard to come by.

Excellent - so if they are illegal, criminals won't use them?

In a perfect world, no they wouldn't
    But Criminals do illegal things, that's why they are criminals.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Pro-guns
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I own a gun. I guess I'm pro gun. Guns don't kill, people do. If they don't have guns they will use something else like hijacking a bus and plowing it into a crowd of people. If guns were illegal and no one own one, do you think the number of burglaries and home invasions would go up?
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    pro-gun
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Remember your words if you or your family are ever the victims of violent crime. It may not be very likely to happen, but if it does, your lives can be shattered in an instant. Some of us choose to be prepared for that possibility.

Have you given any though as to how you would deal with the emotional fallout? Say Johnny Crackhead breaks into your house to steal you PlayStation and you put a bullet in his head. How do you live with that?

Absolutely, though I wouldn't shoot someone in that situation anyway. In the case of a home invasion, get your family into a single room, lock/bar the door, and call the police. Resort to deadly force ONLY if the person escalates by breaking into that room, or if the situation is already violent before you can get everyone to safety.

Even if everything went completely according to plan, I'd probably still be a mess after the fact. That's something I will happily live with, if it means my wife and daughter didn't get raped or maimed, and we're all alive. There's a saying I learned when considering all of this: "I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six." Twelve referring to the people in a jury, six referring to pallbearers. Your first priority is ensuring the safety of your family. Everything else can be handled afterward, at leisure.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Pro Gun, but only if you pass a mandatory licensing and training session. Firearms + Stupidity (or Ignorance) = Scary.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    However the question should read:

but, in one word, post whether you are "anti-constitution" or "pro-constitution" or "neither"

HERE HERE! Give that man a round of applause.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Anti-gun

(And I'm American BTW). I can't even fathom just going to a gun range for fun.

shooting outside is way better imo.

Hell yeah! Know what's even more fun? Filling up empty laundry detergent containers and shooting those. They're pretty spectacular when they explode.
  • leahrochelle
    leahrochelle Posts: 218
    Options
    pro gun.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do not understand Americans' obsession with guns. And yes, it's an obsession -- glancing over the replies here, we aren't talking about something sensible like about owning a rifle or two for hunting deer. No, we're talking about egotistical, fearful idiots who think they're Vigilante McJustice, when in reality they're one step removed from James Holmes.

What the hell are you so scared about that you need a gun to "protect" yourself from?

Here, let's look at some numbers. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm/
    Leading causes of death: Heart disease. Cancer. Hey, I'll give you some credit -- being this is a fitness site foremost, you're probably doing something about #1. Great. But the rest of that? Where do guns come in against these actual, legitimate threats to your life?

I hate to break it to you, but your gun is never going to protect you from your phobia(s). Sure, arm yourself to the teeth in the meantime -- I'm sure it makes you feel really, really tough. Great job, Rambo.

You're still a paranoid lunatic.

Who am I so scared of? How about the drug dealer across the street who draws a rather sketchy element to the neighborhood? How about the fact that there are people who break into other's home just to hurt them? Or rape them? Yeah the odds of that happening are slim but why the hell should I have to take any chances because somebody else doesn't want me owning a gun? If someone were to break into my home with malicious intent shall I lay there getting raped or in a pool of my own blood just to make you happy? Because I won't.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Pro-gun 110%

And not to be political, but it's people that kill people, NOT the guns. Last I checked, the gun (or knife, drugs, etc) didn't jump up and say 'oh, I wanna kill someone today!'. It would be the person.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Then I am anti people.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Pro
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Pro.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I own a gun. I guess I'm pro gun. Guns don't kill, people do. If they don't have guns they will use something else like hijacking a bus and plowing it into a crowd of people. If guns were illegal and no one own one, do you think the number of burglaries and home invasions would go up?

For real people, do you really think that the psyco rule breakers are going to be like oh darn they banned guns guess I cant go on a shooting spree today, let me turn Iin my legal guns in and just go out for a burger!!!:grumble:
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Pro hand and hunting guns, anti assault rifles. Nobody needs a frigging assault rifle.

Problem is...If you give the Anti-gun people an inch, they will take EVERY GUN.

Doubtful. Just educate them. I myself was anti-gun until this year, when my husband decided to obtain a CCW, and I took the course with him. No I am pro-CCW just about everywhere. But I repeat, there is no need for an ordinary citizen to carry an assault rifle.

I'm not talking about the average person. I am talking about the anti-gun groups. Whenever they succeed in getting one thing outlawed, they move on to the next thing on their agenda..etc, etc, etc.
  • nsmith6325
    nsmith6325 Posts: 41
    Options
    Pro Gun

(and for the comment of Johnny crackhead breaking into steal my xbox or whatever, how do I know what his intent is, he committed the crime of breaking in in the first place and as soon as the police clear the scene I will go right back to bed and sleep soundly with my back up gun by my nightstand until they police return my primary fire arm).
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i love my guns