guns or no guns?

Options

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    However the question should read:

but, in one word, post whether you are "anti-constitution" or "pro-constitution" or "neither"

^^^ THIS!!! And Pro-gun, if you couldnt tell. lol
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    What if a private citizen in the Aurora movie theatre was armed with a gun and started shooting back and adding to the chaos?

Aurora is pretty much a nightmare scenario. Even if I had been in that theater with a gun, I probably would not have drawn and fired it unless the guy were literally within arm's reach. Even then, there's a chance my shots might have gone through him, or missed and hit someone else, but at that point, it probably would have been worth the risk (chance of ending the situation as compared to letting him continue without trying to stop it). In that crowded of an environment, though, it's nearly impossible to get a clear shot, whereas the other guy has an entire room of target, and doesn't care what he hits.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but your gun is never going to protect you from your phobia(s). Sure, arm yourself to the teeth in the meantime -- I'm sure it makes you feel really, really tough. Great job, Rambo.

You're still a paranoid lunatic.

That's a very bold statement.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I do not understand Americans' obsession with guns. And yes, it's an obsession -- glancing over the replies here, we aren't talking about something sensible like about owning a rifle or two for hunting deer. No, we're talking about egotistical, fearful idiots who think they're Vigilante McJustice, when in reality they're one step removed from James Holmes.

What the hell are you so scared about that you need a gun to "protect" yourself from?

Here, let's look at some numbers. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm/
    Leading causes of death: Heart disease. Cancer. Hey, I'll give you some credit -- being this is a fitness site foremost, you're probably doing something about #1. Great. But the rest of that? Where do guns come in against these actual, legitimate threats to your life?

I hate to break it to you, but your gun is never going to protect you from your phobia(s). Sure, arm yourself to the teeth in the meantime -- I'm sure it makes you feel really, really tough. Great job, Rambo.

Let me see now. WHAT am I protecting myself from. . . .

Well, that bear who's running through the woods at me as I'm walking my dog. Oh, and don't forget about the coyote who thinks my dog might make a mighty fine treat before he settles down for dinner. And that man who just broke a window and is coming into my house and is going to try and harm me.

Owning a gun doesn't make me feel like a "tough guy" but knowing that 12 gauge is in a spot where I can get at it makes me feel a hell of a lot more safe when I'm home alone.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I do not understand Americans' obsession with guns. And yes, it's an obsession -- glancing over the replies here, we aren't talking about something sensible like about owning a rifle or two for hunting deer. No, we're talking about egotistical, fearful idiots who think they're Vigilante McJustice, when in reality they're one step removed from James Holmes.

What the hell are you so scared about that you need a gun to "protect" yourself from?

Leading causes of death: Heart disease. Cancer. Hey, I'll give you some credit -- being this is a fitness site foremost, you're probably doing something about #1. Great. But the rest of that? Where do guns come in against these actual, legitimate threats to your life?

I own a gun, and carry it very rarely. But i do carry it sometimes.
    There are good reasons to own a gun for protection.
    For instance, this girl who's husband died 3 months before, had a young child and these people who were pissed off at her husband for something, decided to break into her house. She was on the phone with 911 at the time as well. She had to shoot 1 of the 2 intruders, and they both lived. By having that gun it prevented the two guys from getting closer to her, and was able to protect herself until the police came.
    She had a small child, a knife might have helped her, but there was a good chance that it wouldn't have done much with 2 attackers there. THIS is why I am pro-gun. Because of instances like this.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Remember your words if you or your family are ever the victims of violent crime. It may not be very likely to happen, but if it does, your lives can be shattered in an instant. Some of us choose to be prepared for that possibility.

Have you given any though as to how you would deal with the emotional fallout? Say Johnny Crackhead breaks into your house to steal you PlayStation and you put a bullet in his head. How do you live with that?

I would not hesitate or loose a moments sleep about it.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Anti-gun

(And I'm American BTW). I can't even fathom just going to a gun range for fun.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

most people who own guns dont fall into the gun nut stereotype you are talking about. some people live in bad neighborhoods or have contact with wildlife. some live in seemingly safe areas but would rather be safe than sorry.

^^^ This... my parents own guns... why? Coyotes... we own guns, why? Coyotes... and we live in the outskirts of a major metro area... and while we don't experience crime, why chance it? Guns in our house are a last resort... we don't stockpile ammo, we don't stock pile weapons...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

The average person on the street has absolutely no need for a fully automatic assault rifle with a fifty round magazine

The average person having a fully automatic rifle is very very illegal.
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    [

To set the record straight fully automatic rifles have been illegal since the 1930's unless you are able to obtain a class III firearms permit which is extremely hard to come by.

Excellent - so if they are illegal, criminals won't use them?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm neither anti nor pro in this matter. I have nothing against guns with proper regulations. I find "zomg we need guns" view a bit scary, though. So long for evolution.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Pro-gun 110%

And not to be political, but it's people that kill people, NOT the guns. Last I checked, the gun (or knife, drugs, etc) didn't jump up and say 'oh, I wanna kill someone today!'. It would be the person.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    PRO
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Anti gun.

As a Canadian Brit I am not surprised at the number of pro-gun responses. But as guns are not as big a part of Canadian culture I don't have an understanding as to why Americans think they are so necessary.

What if a private citizen in the Aurora movie theatre was armed with a gun and started shooting back and adding to the chaos? How do law enforcement sort criminals from those just joining in because they have the right to bear arms?

The average person on the street has absolutely no need for a fully automatic assault rifle with a fifty round magazine! At best, individuals should be limited to a small handgun.

IMHO.

To set the record straight fully automatic rifles have been illegal since the 1930's unless you are able to obtain a class III firearms permit which is extremely hard to come by.

Just as quickly as you can put a clip in a gun and pop off 40 rounds, i can load two perfectly legal guns with a clip of 20 rounds each. I do have two hands! *gasp* .... its not the automatic rifle that is the problem.. its the psycho who uses it.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Anti-gun

(And I'm American BTW). I can't even fathom just going to a gun range for fun.

shooting outside is way better imo.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm neither anti nor pro in this matter. I have nothing against guns with proper regulations. I find "zomg we need guns" view a bit scary, though. So long for evolution.

natural selection will do its job i think
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Remember your words if you or your family are ever the victims of violent crime. It may not be very likely to happen, but if it does, your lives can be shattered in an instant. Some of us choose to be prepared for that possibility.

Have you given any though as to how you would deal with the emotional fallout? Say Johnny Crackhead breaks into your house to steal you PlayStation and you put a bullet in his head. How do you live with that?

I would not hesitate or loose a moments sleep about it.

Exactly... what if Johnny Crackhead is surprised that I'm in the house and comes after me? Or my child? Perhaps he has a gun... I am protecting my property and those under my care.
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Me and the .357 in my purse are PRO GUN
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Progun.
    I have my reasons and they all go along with the If you take away guns only criminals have guns. IT's true. There could no gun stores and a criminal would still be able to find one.

^^^^We have a winner!!!

Pro gun as well.

Criminals will still find them. Taking them away from law abiding citizens won't stop that.

For me, gun control means using both hands and having good aim. :-)

This.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    However the question should read:

but, in one word, post whether you are "anti-constitution" or "pro-constitution" or "neither"
    it doesn't make someone anti-constitutional for being anti-weapons that shoot peoples faces in. no politics!

No poitics just common sense...guns do not kill people anymore then spoons and forks make us fat.....
    Pro gun for sure!