Unintended consequences?

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
Unintended consequences?

<I really wrestled whether to put this here or Chit-chat,,,>

Hey, this is funny. I have a wierd "unintended consequence" of getting leaner.

I've been shaving my noggin for years. Started balding and greying pretty young, and I never had a nice head of hair anyways, so I just started shaving it. I'm pretty good at it, and it takes about a minute in the shower every morning. I (used to) rarely nick myself.

Well, when I was heavier I had a goodly layer of fat (adipose tissue?) under the scalp/over me skull. My scalp was a nice pillow, and shaving it was easy. Nice and squishy and round, no problem. I was about 35% bodyfat at the time.

Now I've lost close to 60 pounds, and my bodyfat is closer to 14%. My skin on my head fits my skull like saran wrap now. I don't look like the cryptkeeper yet, but it's close. I even had to buy a smaller motorcycle helmet .

Anywho, with my new thinner gourd, I'm cutting myself shaving. I have a spot in the back where there's a profound bump now that use'ta be buried in flab - and when I run the razor over it I get a nick! Happened a couple times now!

Wow - didn't see that coming... Anybody else have any wierd side effects?

Replies

• oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    totally off topic, but i like your quote in your signature

:flowerforyou:
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I get the same thing around my knees when I shave my legs....didn't used to be much of a problem.:tongue:

I hate that my rings roll all around on my fingers now. I've had some of them forever and I can't get ALL of them resized. :ohwell:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    totally off topic, but i like your quote in your signature

Thanks,

Fulghum is a Unitarian Universalist minister and a genius. He wrote "Everything I really needed to know I learned in kindergarten". Lives on a houseboat in Seattle, and I hope to as well - someday.

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge--
    <knowledge only knows what is, imagination can see what might be>

That myth is more potent than history.
    <History is knowledge of the past, myth is story and dream>

I believe that dreams are more powerful than facts--
    <Dreams are where our better angels speak to us>

That hope always triumphs over experience--
    <Always - but sometimes it takes a while>

That laughter is the only cure for grief.
    <Yep :laugh: >

And I believe that love is stronger than death.'
    <My mother and father are dead, and I still love them both. Love wins,,,>
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    LMAO :laugh:
    I can relate.

My hipbones have started jutting out. I can't carry the laundry basket on my hip now without it hurting. :ohwell:
    My xyphoid process bone -- you know, that nubby bone at the bottom of the chest plate in the middle of your chest -- sticks out grossly when I stand up straight and suck in just slightly. :sick:
    My tail bone hurts more now when I sit on hard surfaces (like at football games, out camping, etc). I guess I lost alotta @ss. :noway:
  • maricampomar07
    Options
    Hi CaperO, a little off the subject, I actually blogged for the first time yesterday and you sent me a link to an old page talking about eating your exercise calories (thanks a lot for sending me that) and I see you have had quite some success in losing weight yourself so I wanted to ask you if you eat your exercise calories and what type of exercise you do. I understand what they were talking about, but I also know it takes 3500 calories burnt to lose 1 pound and my thought is, the more I eat the longer it will take for the weight to come off and as I was saying yesterday I am losing 1 pound a week if I am luck.
    Thanks for the help. :smile:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

I get the same thing around my knees when I shave my legs....didn't used to be much of a problem.:tongue:

I hate that my rings roll all around on my fingers now. I've had some of them forever and I can't get ALL of them resized. :ohwell:

I have the same problem. I can't wear my ring when I run anymore because it just falls off :ohwell: And its titanium, so no resizing it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I have the same problem. I can't wear my ring when I run anymore because it just falls off :ohwell: And its titanium, so no resizing it.

Boo!! Can they add to the ring, decreasing the diameter by increasing the metal on the inside (i.e. thicker ring)? If not, I'm sure the wifey would understand buying you a new ring. (I would.)
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    My girls don't catch many crumbs anymore. They are still magnificent, and will always be, but I've reached the point where all my stray food doesn't land on them anymore. Yippeee.

P.S. Casper--Bald is hot!
  • chgudnitz
    Options

Boo!! Can they add to the ring, decreasing the diameter by increasing the metal on the inside (i.e. thicker ring)? If not, I'm sure the wifey would understand buying you a new ring. (I would.)

Something about titanium. But relax, I get back in my house and put it back on.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That's really funny! I noticed one day that I was uncomfortable in a pair of my work pants because they were too big. I used to be uncomfortable in them because they were too tight! :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Something about titanium. But relax, I get back in my house and put it back on.

Relax? :huh: I wasn't stressing it! :laugh:
    I don't wear my jewelry at all when I work out.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Relax? :huh: I wasn't stressing it! :laugh:
    I don't wear my jewelry at all when I work out.
    I meant about her getting me a new one. I wear it all the time except for running. I run open handed and sweat, it just slides off and one of these days its going to come off and I won't notice.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    My rings fall off too :grumble: but we are renewing our vows & upgrading my rings in 2011 - so I'll just deal with it until then.

And ditto with the hip bones & laundry basket.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I lost my wedding ring while fishing several months ago because of this.

We plan on replacing it...someday.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I have an ID bracelet I always wear. I can now slide it off my hand without unclipping it.

And, of course, the ring thing but, for those of you that don't want to or can't get them resized, in the jewelry department of some department stores, they sell ring sizers which are small rubber tubes you can put on the bottom of your rings that help them fit more snugly. I use one on a ring I can't get resized.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Great thread Casper-It's funny when these "Unexpected" things happen becaue of our weight loss.

Here are a few that I can think of-

#1:I drive alot for work. Sometime 4-5 hours in a day. Ever since I have lost this weight I find that my Butt is killing me from sitting too long after a long ride. When my buttbone was sooooo padded at 319lbs this was never a problem. I barley had a butt to begin with. But now at 194 lbs my poor little unprotected bone cant take all that sitting. God forbid I don't take my wallet out of my back pocket. then I am in REAL trouble.

#2: Is it cold in here? I find myself asking this question constantly. I never used to wear a coat. Even in the dead of winter (And bear in mind I live in MAINE). People used to say "How are you not cold?!" and I, in standard "fat guy making fun of himself" fashion would tap my belly and say "Nature's insulation." Well nature's insulation is gone and I am Friggin freezing! lol. Worse part is all my winter clothes are XXXL and 48" waist. Since I am now in a 32" waist and a Medium I really need to go shopping. If only money grew on trees. haha.

#3: I have always considered myself to be a baby face. I didnt start growing facial hair until my early twenties and in order to acheive a five o' clock shadow I would have to go 5 days without shaving. Well now my five o' clock shadow show's up at five 'o clock now. I don't understand why, but I guess the old beard doesnt have as far to grow to find surface.

Weird stuff. lol

• zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Spy, I too, never wore a coat. Now I have a dilemma, before I started getting cold from losing weight, we bought a house in Maine. Now, by the time we get to move there, I'm going to have to wear 70 layers to keep warm up there!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Great thread Casper-It's funny when these "Unexpected" things happen becaue of our weight loss.

Here are a few that I can think of-

#1:I drive alot for work. Sometime 4-5 hours in a day. Ever since I have lost this weight I find that my Butt is killing me from sitting too long after a long ride. When my buttbone was sooooo padded at 319lbs this was never a problem. I barley had a butt to begin with. But now at 194 lbs my poor little unprotected bone cant take all that sitting. God forbid I don't take my wallet out of my back pocket. then I am in REAL trouble.

#2: Is it cold in here? I find myself asking this question constantly. I never used to wear a coat. Even in the dead of winter (And bear in mind I live in MAINE). People used to say "How are you not cold?!" and I, in standard "fat guy making fun of himself" fashion would tap my belly and say "Nature's insulation." Well nature's insulation is gone and I am Friggin freezing! lol. Worse part is all my winter clothes are XXXL and 48" waist. Since I am now in a 32" waist and a Medium I really need to go shopping. If only money grew on trees. haha.

#3: I have always considered myself to be a baby face. I didnt start growing facial hair until my early twenties and in order to acheive a five o' clock shadow I would have to go 5 days without shaving. Well now my five o' clock shadow show's up at five 'o clock now. I don't understand why, but I guess the old beard doesnt have as far to grow to find surface.

Weird stuff. lol

People are always joking me because I'm cold all the time, especially at work...so I keep my hoodie and drink tea like I have nothing better to do. And, like you, I have no winter clothes. Fun times. :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The smaller my hips get, the more I realize how much I need a new bed. Ouch.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I don't want to offend anyone, but:
    Has it affected your libido?
    I don't know if it's my age or the weight loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!