Runners.......what BUGS you?

Options
I'm out on my run this morning, it's a beautiful day, I felt great and then on about the 5K mark a pesky BUG kept flying around my face. No matter what I did it stayed with me :grumble: ......I know bugs are attracted to sweat and granted I had some going on but it made me wonder what other stories do you runners have........bugs or anything else! :happy:

Replies

• mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had one go right into my mouth recently, EW
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    sometimes I get 'bugged' by bugs when I am fishing- horseflies are the worst. but I can usually 'outrun ' them LOL
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    My favorite is when you run into a gnat with your eye.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Pet owners who don't keep their animals on a leash! :|
  • run227down2130
    Options
    Drivers that honk at me when they go by and scare me so badly I jump... HATE when they do that! :mad:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I run past someone and smile, or say hello and they are suddenly really interested in whatever is on their phone. I know I look like hell, but would it kill you to say hello?
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    bees!! I am allergic so if I see one while running I suddenly spaz out LOL and other runners that run the exact same path as me like they are following me but we have never even met..makes me nervous!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when you run into a gnat with your eye.

This! Happens around mile 7 usually. Ugh!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Drivers that honk at me when they go by and scare me so badly I jump... HATE when they do that! :mad:

^^^^THIS!!! Totally. It is so rude!! Tempted to keep a brick handy . . . chuck it at them!
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A few years back on a 5am 10 miler, half way through I had a hawk make a "deposit" mid air that landed on my face...in my mouth. It was hot. I dropped to my knees heaving.

That's a taste you just cannot forget.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A bad "bug" run might be more miserable than any other conditions out there. From the little swarms of gnats that get in your eyes, nose & mouth, to the big flies that bombard my head like i'm running in a hailstorm, they are terrible. And once they get on you, I've never been able to out run them.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    When I run past someone and smile, or say hello and they are suddenly really interested in whatever is on their phone. I know I look like hell, but would it kill you to say hello?

Some of us are anti-social and freak out.. before we recover you're gone...
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Pet owners who don't keep their animals on a leash! :|

^^^THIS!!!^^^
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    A few years back on a 5am 10 miler, half way through I had a hawk make a "deposit" mid air that landed on my face...in my mouth. It was hot. I dropped to my knees heaving.

omg i'm literally crying........sorry LOL
  • raggyanndoll
    raggyanndoll Posts: 176
    Options
    When I am in a 5K race, I wish slower walkers/joggers would move to the side. I also wish they would start further back at the start line.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood and sometimes there's creepy men (or a group of them) and they all stare or smile really big and awkward. I hate it...wish I had someone running with me so I didn't feel like I was going to get stolen while I'm out one morning!
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    dog walkers who don't keep their dogs close. on a run a couple months ago, i saw one runner get completely tangled by two dogs' leashes (one owner), another runner who ended up jumping over a dog to avoid collision, and during that same run, i was tripped by yet another dog (owner was on her phone, not paying attention). this was at a park with paved paths that are used by runners and walkers, and that has a very nice dog park in it. i'm not saying that dogs can't be at the park, but it is common courtesy to keep them from tripping people. the guy who got tangled up, i am surprised he didn't get hurt.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options

OK, you win. Other than being run down by a moving vehicle, this is probably the worst running experience I've ever heard of! ICK. I'm gagging thinking of it. :sick:
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options

You win
  • geminigrl622
    geminigrl622 Posts: 144
    Options
    When people are running behind you and they don't announce that they are passing you. Usually, I let people know I'm close by saying "on your left". I was running one morning and before I knew it some guy was right on my heels!!! :angry: Another issue is when runners don't speak. At least throw your hand up or say Good Morning, good evening etc. Sheeesh