Runners.......what BUGS you?

Options

Replies

• UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I run in a nice park that has paved trails, so it's usually pretty packed with runners, walkers, rollerbladers, ect. That being said, my pet peeve is groups of people who walk side by side by side taking up the entire sidewalk, completely oblivious to the fact that there are others around them. Common courtesy is not so common anymore!

Also, my new pet peeve is the guy who purposefully blew his cigarette smoke RIGHT in my face as I ran by him. It took everything I had not to run back and kick him in the shin, lol.
  • Corian3105
    Corian3105 Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes to earphones falling out, that is guaranteed to put me in a bad mood in seconds!

Also, fields full of cows. One of my favourite running routes had so far this year included fields of sheep, which I could cope with. But I hopped over the style yesterday morning to find the sheep had been replaced by a big herd of very excitable bullocks waiting on the other side. Not nice!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    No bugs, but recently my jog turned into an uphill sprint because I realized there was a skunk in the ditch next to me.

Oh my! I might break long standing Olympic records if that happens...:bigsmile:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Pet owners who don't keep their animals on a leash! :|

I'll add to this, owners of super friendly unruly pets that jump and try and get your attention while you are running.
    I always, always holler "short leash please" at about 50 ft. They almost always comply.
  • sidewinder76
    sidewinder76 Posts: 287
    Options
    Snakes that cross my path. I jump a mile every time!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    A few years back on a 5am 10 miler, half way through I had a hawk make a "deposit" mid air that landed on my face...in my mouth. It was hot. I dropped to my knees heaving.

That's a taste you just cannot forget.

dear god.....lol
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    These are all pretty amusing actually :p

Only issues I've had so far are the bugs and annoying peeps who won't move out of your way and take up the whole area.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ok. Everything that has been said here, minus the hawk pooping in my mouth. lol! That one is the worst!

The men who do the slow crawl right alongside while you are running. Those are the worst! Listen dude, I'm listening to my tunes and I'm not going to stop and chat with you,,,I don't care that you think you are complimenting on any part of my anatomy, just move along!
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    One time a crow smacked the back of my head and flew away. Maybe I was too close her nest?? Dunno. But scared the snot out of me.
  • crazy_indeed
    crazy_indeed Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I run on a gravel path in the woods. I hate it when dog owners let their pets crap on the path!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do the 2 finger lift to acknowledge other runners, walkers, cyclists.

What bugs me is the strollers. There are two ladies, both with double strollers, who walk side-by-side on the Bear Creek Trail. Two double strollers like that take up the ENTIRE path. Do they move if you say "on your left?" No. They don't. They say "We have a right to use this trail, too!" I can run around them on the grass, but the cyclists, especially on road bikes, don't have it so easy. Incredibly rude, IMO.

People who pee on the seat of the port-o-pottie. Ladies, hover if you need to, but WIPE IT OFF if you miss. Please.

I hate this! I'm a cyclist, and try always to be nice to runners (because I also run, but not nearly as seriously as I bike). Yes, you do have a right to use the path, but so does everyone else running, cycling, walking. Move the heck over. They are usually going at a snail's pace, too. I will say, "On your left, please!" no reaction. "ON YOUR LEFT, PLEASE." No reaction. Then have to unclip to slow down, and nearly stop and get a rude response. I know it's not nice, but I actually flipped off a group of these women before. You do not own the trail. Everyone is using it. I'm asking for about 10 inches on your left for less than 2 seconds while I pass you.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had one go right into my mouth recently, EW

this happened to me just this morning. i thought i was gonna choke then I completely grossed out but kept running.
  • redhousecat
    Options
    Yeah, the headphone thing bugs the crap out of me. And spiderwebs. Stupid, stupid spiderwebs.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I live by the sea, and recently the Gulls have been having there chicks. I keep greating attacked from above by 3 or 4 at a time, that take turns flying low at me
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    I hate when I'm passing someone and smile and wave and they just ignore me or just stare at me. Rude!! I'm trying to be friendly, geez!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 2 years ago and the only time it really bothers me now is when I'm running or for about 15 or 20 minutes after I get done running.

In certain parts of the hike and bike trail in Austin there are people "smoking" just off the trail. By the time I get past where they are I have a really bad need to stop and get a bag of cheetos and some powdered donuts. It doesn't really bother me but I don't want to consume all the calories I just burned all at once.

About a month and a half ago we were visiting relatives in Wisconsin. They live near a really nice park so I went for a run. All of a sudden there is an intense assault on the top of my head. I look back to see a red winged blackbird tearing me up. It hurt like a mother at the time but it was funny later.
  • redhousecat
    Options
    I hate this! I'm a cyclist, and try always to be nice to runners (because I also run, but not nearly as seriously as I bike). Yes, you do have a right to use the path, but so does everyone else running, cycling, walking. Move the heck over. They are usually going at a snail's pace, too. I will say, "On your left, please!" no reaction. "ON YOUR LEFT, PLEASE." No reaction. Then have to unclip to slow down, and nearly stop and get a rude response. I know it's not nice, but I actually flipped off a group of these women before. You do not own the trail. Everyone is using it. I'm asking for about 10 inches on your left for less than 2 seconds while I pass you.

I concur. I am adamant about notifying runners of my presence. They ignore me because they have their ears plugged (obviously, with headphones that don't fall out). When I pass, they jump, then cuss ME out.....smh.

There is a reason they tell you to run with low volume in your ears.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Cars that drive too close

Headphones falling out

A loud song coming on and can't easily adjust the volume

People who stare just a little too much

Running past garbage and litter

As far as the bugs, yeah they are annoying I inhaled a swarm not too long ago when running near the water. But I don't really care, bugs are expected.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    People who don't pay attention to who's on the sidewalk before they pull into or out of a parking lot.

Last summer I was on a run and was running past a small grocery store on the sidewalk. As I approached one of the entrances, a pickup turned off the road into the parking lot, literally RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME (there were not bushes or trees obscuring his view, and he came from behind me). And the jack@ss pulled in slow, so had I not slowed down I would have run smack into the side of the truck.

I ran around the back, pounded my fist on the tailgate and yelled a few choice words at him. I also went and ordered a Road ID that day.
  • becjerami
    becjerami Posts: 80
    Options
    I've constructed my "long" run so there's a Walmart at about the "usual time". And, fortunately, the bathroom is right at the front door.

It's all about timing for the long runs. I wish there were a website for runner friendly bathrooms and water fountains. There's an intersection by where I live with 2 gas stations. One won't let a runner use their bathroom, the other will. I now patron that gas station for gas as well, because really, how awesome is a bathroom at mile 10? Pretty friggin' awesome.

Sounds like you're onto something with the website idea. Perhaps you should make one? You could join up with other runners and each do a survey of your areas and link them together.