Runners.......what BUGS you?

Options

Replies

• MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Yep, bugs!! I swallowed one, more like inhaled one a couple weeks ago. Yuck!
    Also, MAJOR pet peeve is bikers who do not announce their approach. That's very bad form!!
    ETA: Almost all of the above: smokers, unleashed or loosly leashed dogs, unaware drivers, much needed potty breaks, etc...
    I am kind sad that no one has ever commented on my *kitten* though.:grumble: :laugh:
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What bugs me while running?

**Taking time to say hello or good morning (while out of breath!) to someone and not getting any gesture or friendly wave
    **Hornets jogging right beside me
    **Earphones falling out of my ear
    **Small rocks or debris getting inside my shoes
    **Spiders hanging from low-hanging branches ( I run in the morning so I can't easily spot them sometimes lol)
    **Stray dogs..(usually try to stay away from them because i dont know what to expect)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    When I run past someone and smile, or say hello and they are suddenly really interested in whatever is on their phone. I know I look like hell, but would it kill you to say hello?

I second this! I hate bugs too and no matter what always have a horse fly that joins me....
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood and sometimes there's creepy men (or a group of them) and they all stare or smile really big and awkward. I hate it...wish I had someone running with me so I didn't feel like I was going to get stolen while I'm out one morning!

ha, this is mine exactly. I run down one street every day and get the same men starring. Are they admiring or plotting..maybe it's time to change up the route :)
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Cramps. My abdominal area cramps at around 3K.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Road kill. I live in the country and there is so much roadkill. Yuck!!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do the 2 finger lift to acknowledge other runners, walkers, cyclists.

What bugs me is the strollers. There are two ladies, both with double strollers, who walk side-by-side on the Bear Creek Trail. Two double strollers like that take up the ENTIRE path. Do they move if you say "on your left?" No. They don't. They say "We have a right to use this trail, too!" I can run around them on the grass, but the cyclists, especially on road bikes, don't have it so easy. Incredibly rude, IMO.

People who pee on the seat of the port-o-pottie. Ladies, hover if you need to, but WIPE IT OFF if you miss. Please.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree with bugs. I chew gum while I run/bike for that reason and since I'm a mouth breather anyway, I don't want to taste them or even know when they go in my mouth. Today I forgot my gum and this morning I inhaled one. Yuck!

Editing to add: Animals. One time I was out on road and 2 baby raccoons kept following me! They probably went half a mile before they got tired and finally left me alone. I contacted the dnr since I was in a state park and they said that since the babies were out during the day, their mama was probably dead and that they were most likely sick also.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Drivers that honk at me when they go by and scare me so badly I jump... HATE when they do that! :mad:

^^^^THIS!!! Totally. It is so rude!! Tempted to keep a brick handy . . . chuck it at them!

I'd love to carry a super soaker with me for the immature, creepy guys that do the "slow roll/cat call" with the windows down. LOL
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Road kill. I live in the country and there is so much roadkill. Yuck!!

It looks gross, smells worse, and in the summer time it just makes me gag!
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I had one go right into my mouth recently, EW

ME TOO. It's so gross :sick: :sad:
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    1. Cars
    2. Bugs
    3. Hot weather
    4. dogs
    5. bikers who say "to your left". I want to say no **** dude!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hands-down...Tour de France guy that goes whizzing by as fast as he can without announcing he's there.
    Honorable mention: The person "walking" their dog, but not keeping the dog on a leash.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Running behind or by people who are smoking! *cough*
    THIS!!

And then of course dog owners who can't keep their pets on a leash in a clearly marked "keep pets on leash area" (or even just under control when they have them on a leash):explode:

I had a huge husky jumped up against me, and when I pushed it away and told his owner to get it under control, she said "but he just wants to play!!" in this baby voice....:mad: What makes you think I want to play with your slobbering huge dog somewhere around the tail end of running ten km???
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Pet owners who don't keep their animals on a leash! :|

I'll add to this, owners of super friendly unruly pets that jump and try and get your attention while you are running.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    when one SOLITARY pedestrian somehow needs to occupy the entire pavement. I have no idea how they do this, but believe me, they can and they DO.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Bugs, one flew in my eye on Saturday and got behind my contact lens

Smokers (I gave up almost 3 years ago)

Overweight guys who think a women running is a hoot so shout stuff at you (I cannot hear you, I am listening to my i-pod)

White van man, if he's not shouting stuff at me he is trying to run me over

People that walk in packs very slowly

Poorly maintained pavements

The old lady who did a 3 point turn with her shopping trolley and almost knocked me over a few weeks ago

My nose which decides to start running two thirds of the way through my run

I would like to point out that the benefits far outweigh downsides :bigsmile:
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've constructed my "long" run so there's a Walmart at about the "usual time". And, fortunately, the bathroom is right at the front door.

It's all about timing for the long runs. I wish there were a website for runner friendly bathrooms and water fountains. There's an intersection by where I live with 2 gas stations. One won't let a runner use their bathroom, the other will. I now patron that gas station for gas as well, because really, how awesome is a bathroom at mile 10? Pretty friggin' awesome.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    drivers that speed ahead of me to double park right where i'm going to be in about five seconds.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Snails and slugs littering the path.. avoiding them turns a run into a real GI joe assault course through tripwires.

The alternative does not bear thinking about.