Runners.......what BUGS you?

Options

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Pet owners who don't keep their animals on a leash! :|
    :(

I walk my dog off-leash frequently, but she heels like a champ and if I see a runner coming towards us I make her sit off to the side so they're not nervous.

Can we swap this to "Inconsiderate pet owners who don't keep their animals on a leash"?

the only problem is some random runner doesn't know that or expect it so it's still disruptive. I would never begrudge you walking your dog the way you desire though.
    Yep - if I come from behind, I have no idea what the dog will do, if it is well trained or if it just "likes to play" with random runners.... - and you might not see me before doggie does....
  • jenncaroon
    jenncaroon Posts: 91
    Options
    A few years ago I was bitten in the rear end by a dog. Not a good running experience!
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm a total run+walk advocate. But I am really annoyed by "that guy" that powers through the run portion to pass me, just to stop and walk right.in.front.of.me. Especially when the trail is super busy and I have to drop or speed up my pace just to pass.

One of the perils of being a slow-moving barge ;-).
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I hate the dead bodies.

ever notice they're always runners that find the dead bodies?

thats why I dont run with other people. trust issues.

HA ! This is true.
  • JenMull44
    Options
    I just told a Co-Worker about an incident where I was bit by a golden retriever when running at a city park.
    She didnt believe me, guess I will have to have her read this thread. Seems to be a common occurance.
    DOG BITTEN RUNNERS UNITE !!!
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just told a Co-Worker about an incident where I was bit by a golden retriever when running at a city park.
    She didnt believe me, guess I will have to have her read this thread. Seems to be a common occurance.
    DOG BITTEN RUNNERS UNITE !!!

My philosphy is this: Your dog is certainly the most adorable and friendly beast in existence, but if it gets within sneaker range I'mma kick it like a bad habit.

If it's close enough for me to make contact, it's too close and that's your fault, not mine.
  • JenMull44
    Options
    I get that cyclist need to share the path but when they scream at me to get out of their way I want to stick my foot in their spokes. I get it dude. I also always acknowledge with at least a finger wave everyone I see out on the path (as early as I am out, even just to say, Great Job!) But tops in my book is the number of car hoods I have to reach out and slap as they are rolling into me because they do not look up the sidewalk as they are pulling away from stop signs. They are only looking up the road and totally miss me 3 ft from their face... :) I own several forms of Road ID :)
    I was on my bike recently and had a guy NOT stop at the sign and clip the front of my bike.
    I had a lot of witnesses so that ignorant person would have been screwed if he really hurt me.
  • JenMull44
    Options
    A few years ago I was bitten in the rear end by a dog. Not a good running experience!
    OMG ! Hope he didnt leave a mark.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    BTW, any Runkeeper users out there? If so, look me up! :)
    http://runkeeper.com/user/IronChef/profile
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My philosphy is this: Your dog is certainly the most adorable and friendly beast in existence, but if it gets within sneaker range I'mma kick it like a bad habit.

If it's close enough for me to make contact, it's too close and that's your fault, not mine.

My response to "Oh, he's friendly!" is "Well, I'm not!"
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Bugs, dogs, snakes, territorial birds, and dudes rolling in and out of bars in the wee hours of the morning. For the dudes, I flash my cell phone.
  • amberleighM04
    Options
    Dog owners that don't clean up after their dog.
    The nasty swarm of gnats that are always in the area I like to run.
    People who don't wipe down treadmill after sweating all over it.
    A group of inconsiderate walkers that take up the entire path and refuse to make room for runners, therefore causing me to have to dodge trees, sticks, etc.
    Leering men and people that like to scare runners.
  • amberleighM04
    Options
    Large family groups spread out over the track, completely oblivious to anyone around them.

^^This!!! Omg so irritating!

I should have read more of the comments, lol. One of my biggest peeves. Especially when they are moving like snails.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Large family groups spread out over the track, completely oblivious to anyone around them.

I should have read more of the comments, lol. One of my biggest peeves. Especially when they are moving like snails.

theres a simple solution to this.
    run into them.

its a track. after you knock them down the first time (and "apologize profusely") they get the hell out of your way the next time you come around. you dont have to knock them to the ground.. but make them know people are running here. lol.

or maybe im just a bully... lol
  • becjerami
    Options

theres a simple solution to this.
    run into them.

its a track. after you knock them down the first time (and "apologize profusely") they get the hell out of your way the next time you come around. you dont have to knock them to the ground.. but make them know people are running here. lol.

or maybe im just a bully... lol

Yes that would work for a running track (I mean, what the hell would those people be walking there for anyway?) but I mean't track as in dirt path shared by cyclists, runners, walkers etc.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This one is something I have only recently noticed, and its very annoying. Every time I cross paths with another runner, they always check out my running shoes. I suspect its some sort of shoe snobbery.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is true for mountain biking as well as running. If you're the first person on the trail in the summer months you get ALL THE SPIDERWEBS! (and more than once, the spider too)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Totally different take on the question, but what really bugs me is people who, without knowing my mileage or athletic history, without knowing anything about running (because they last ran either while chased or in High School 30 years ago), proceed to tell me what kind of shoes to wear, or that I need to be careful of plantar fascitis (someone they once knew got it after running once, so all runners will get it), or that "Running a marathon will destroy your body, so I hope this is the last one you ever run."

Kid you not, in the past week I've gotten all of that. I didn't even ask. They didn't ask me about my running either, they're only interested in telling me what to do (because how did I get through life until now without their advice?). Usually it only comes up when I explain why I can't do something on a given day/time (because I'm training with a group then). "Oh, you're training with a group? I hope you wear nice cushy shoes, wouldn't want that evil Marathon to amputate your knees!" Lord preserve us.

If I don't ask and you don't run, STFU.
  • meefo42
    meefo42 Posts: 21
    Options
    I run on a rather wide, paved trail in my town because it's the only sort of flat place to go, and it always amazes me how two people walking can manage to take up the entire width of the trail. The other day there were two people standing on the trail talking, well sort of each standing on opposite sides of the trail...with their dogs...so I had to run right in between them while practically leaping over one of the (rather large) dogs -___-

The other is people that don't clean up after their dogs. I literally watched someone let their dog go on the cement trail and then walk away. Right in front of me, and I know they saw me I was like ummmmmm really?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    This one is something I have only recently noticed, and its very annoying. Every time I cross paths with another runner, they always check out my running shoes. I suspect its some sort of shoe snobbery.
    I suspect that as soon as they see that you are about to look at them they avert their eyes from what they were really looking at, and aim them down at your shoes as a cover.

Unless it's another woman, and then you're probably right.